Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:43 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times

Advertisements

Anyone else in the process of learning Hebrew?

I've been working on it for a while now, and can read pretty well as long as the vowel points are present. Still working on understanding and vocabulary. I spend my lunch hour transliterating from the Hertz Chumash and then copying the text in handwritten Hebrew. I've tried listening to Hebrew music and Israeli TV, but it still goes too fast to be of help.

Anyone have any pointers, suggestions, or other methods that have proven helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
I speak numerous languages (and various dialects). The only way I can ramble fluently is to think in that language. So for now deal with speaking and language out loud and learn the flow of the language and not worry too much about the nekudot (vowels under the letters). Reading a Chumash is easy, problem is many of words are derived from Aramaic and not used in conversational Hebrew. Also beware that spoken Ashkenazi Hebrew (US) turns T's (tet, Tav, Tzadek) into S's. While is Sephardic Hebrew (Israel) they are stated correctly. Basically I had to learn both dialects for when I'm in the US and when I'm in Israel. I amaze myself sometimes when I carry on a multiperson conversation and seamlessly speak three to four languages at the same time.

http://www.jewfaq.org/alephbet.htm

Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
I'm also in the process of learning Hebrew. Sounds like we are about in an equal place... I can read if the vowel points are there and I'm just beginning to learn the vocabulary. Personally, I am focusing on modern Hebrew because I want to at least have the freedom to make Aliyah if that ever becomes a possibility for me, or at the very least, my children.

I am using RosettaStone Hebrew in combination with an old Hebrew textbook that I found somewhere. (My husband is a book collector and we have an extensive library. it's not unusual for me to *find* a book somewhere. LoL!) Also, several years ago I bought a set of children's language DVD's called Little Pim. I found that when I started Rosetta Stone, having heard these DVD's made the language much easier to pick up.

As for my kids, they are starting with a Hebrew tutor in the fall. She is an Israeli and also a professional teacher, who I discovered lives in my subdivision. We're not in a very Jewish area and at that not in the most concentrated Jewish part of town. So this was kind of neat.

One thing that is good to keep in mind is that teaching is the best way to learn. If you teach your children Hebrew you have to stay a few steps ahead and you'll learn it faster. Also, having someone to talk to in the language is very helpful. When I was in high school I took 3 years of Spanish. I had several friends who took it with me and we decided to make that our primary language whenever we were together. We definitely picked it up quickly and I still can understand Spanish today...although I haven't practiced so I don't speak it. I think recalling vocabulary uses a different part of the brain than understanding it. I have been thinking about asking my kids tutor to teach a conversational Hebrew class. We'll all remember better if we're all speaking.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,516 times
I had to hire a private tutor. She charged me only $15 an hour, which included her travel time to the shul and her gas money, so I increased her rate for her. Still very worthwhile and helpful.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Maybe try learning a useful language instead. Like Yiddish.

I'm just messing with you. I have no suggestions for you. I have no desire to learn conversational modern Hebrew. I put all my focus on understanding Aramaic and lashen hakodesh (biblical Hebrew), as of course these are the language of the Talmud.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
...I put all my focus on understanding Aramaic and lashen hakodesh (biblical Hebrew), as of course these are the language of the Talmud.
That's where my current focus is as well. While I'd like to learn modern Hebrew at some point, my main goal is to understand what I'm reading when engaged in Torah study.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
That's where my current focus is as well. While I'd like to learn modern Hebrew at some point, my main goal is to understand what I'm reading when engaged in Torah study.
I find the best way to learn is by joining a daily daf hayomi shiur. Virtually all orthodox shuls will offer one, and perhaps some Conservative ones too?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I find the best way to learn is by joining a daily daf hayomi shiur. Virtually all orthodox shuls will offer one, and perhaps some Conservative ones too?
Unfortunately mine is too small to offer much of anything; most of my interaction comes from online. As far as I know I'm the only one interested in learning who attends the synagogue on a regular basis. But, then again, I'm also one of the few who are under 65.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Unfortunately mine is too small to offer much of anything; most of my interaction comes from online. As far as I know I'm the only one interested in learning who attends the synagogue on a regular basis. But, then again, I'm also one of the few who are under 65.
I hear ya. From what I know of you online, you'd do well in a community that had a modern orthodox shul. You don't seem too interested in a Yeshivish lifestyle, but you're obviously drawn towards yiddishkite and observance. You've come so far, one more "conversion" would probably be quick enough and quite meaningful to you. Or if not, I'm sure you're perfect just the way you are.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 AM

You're probably right, and that most likely explains much of the frustration I often feel with my current community. But it's what I have until I'm able to put my family in a position where we can relocate.

And I appreciate the kind words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism