Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM

508 posts, read 889,784 times

Advertisements

Have you ever met a Karaite before? I'd be real curious to learn if and how they interact with mainstream Rabbinical Judaism. It appears there is a community in Daly City and some kind of learning institute in West Virginia of all places. Probably, cheap real estate is the reason along with proximity to Washington D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Have you ever met a Karaite before? I'd be real curious to learn if and how they interact with mainstream Rabbinical Judaism. It appears there is a community in Daly City and some kind of learning institute in West Virginia of all places. Probably, cheap real estate is the reason along with proximity to Washington D.C.
From what I know about them - very few if any living in the US are actually Jewish. However, in Israel there are halachically born Jews who are Karaite, and the government there has given them some level of status.

I have exactly zero admiration for the Kariates. The modern day version is not connected via a continuous line to the Karaites of times past. And the ones of times past were rashoim (evil people). I believe a bunch of hippy Jews re-started the movement back in the 1960s, although I'm sure someone will provide a link showing how choshuv they really are. I view the foundation of their belief as closer to neo-nazis than to Jews.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
there is a community in california that is descendants from old Karaites, I believe. They and the community in Israel ARE descended from old communities, in the Crimea, the baltics, and some other places, which appear to have descended from the early karaite communities of gaonic times (whether those communities are descended from surviving sadducee communities is a matter of some dispute, IIUC) They welcome former Rabbinic jews, though I dont think they aggresively kiruv. Ive never heard of any hippy community of karaites - (given that the karaites A. beleive literally in torah m'sinai B. dont have a lot of our kewlest customs) I find that odd, but there are many things that exist that I find odd. I note there were a few 19th c reform rabbis who claimed a karaite perspective (accepting written torah, rejecting the talmud) but that never took hold.

I wouldn't judge karaites by whats written aboout them in rabbinic polemic. That said I prefer the rabbinic approach to texts, very much. And I have little patience with people who practice as rabbinic Jews (simchas torah, bar mitzvah, etc) and cite a karaite POV only when its convenient.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 PM

864 posts, read 871,429 times
A Karaite anywhere is completely outside mainstream Judaism. An official Karaite would have to undergo a conversion to be accepted as Jewish.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:59 AM

195 posts, read 245,332 times
I visited the Karaite synagogue in Daly City. Most of them are from Egypt which was where the largest Karaite community was until Egypt began to persecute Jews. They are nice traditional people, certainly not hippies.

I like the Karaite approach and I don't care about mainstream anything. I follow my head and my heart, not the herd. And this is compatible with the Karaite approach. I am considering moving to Daly City so that I can join this synagogue.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
I visited the Karaite synagogue in Daly City. Most of them are from Egypt which was where the largest Karaite community was until Egypt began to persecute Jews. They are nice traditional people, certainly not hippies.

I like the Karaite approach and I don't care about mainstream anything. I follow my head and my heart, not the herd. And this is compatible with the Karaite approach. I am considering moving to Daly City so that I can join this synagogue.
That's awesome. Are you Jewish to begin with? If not, knock yourself out. If you are, well...

Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
That's awesome. Are you Jewish to begin with? If not, knock yourself out. If you are, well...
Well what? Yes I am Jewish.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM

864 posts, read 871,429 times
Quote:
Then you are already part of a herd. Don't look for different herds to follow.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Karaites is not a normative Jewish movement. You might as well join the Moonies...

Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Karaites is not a normative Jewish movement. You might as well join the Moonies...
If I thought that the Moonies made sense, I would join them. I was raised in a secular home with no exposure to Judaism. I read about all religions and my favorite book by far is the Tanakh (not the Talmud), so Karaite Judaism is my logical choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism