Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,671,812 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to understand two two things about the power these rabbis wield in ultra orthodox communities.

Gur Rebbe Forbids Men To Dance On Simchat Torah With Their Little Children On Their Shoulders, Allegedly Because It May Be Sexually Arousing For The Men - FailedMessiah.com

Gur is known for extreme sexual taboos, including a complete ban on foreplay of all kinds, an instruction to newly married men to enter their wives and climax immediately, and a limitation on sex to one night per week at most.

Gur rabbi bans men from driving cars and bicycles | Religion

When asked by a female member of the audience, if women are allowed to drive for a good cause, Yitzhak said that driving for a good cause is prohibited, comparing the situation to a person who steals to give to charity.

“It is indecent for a woman to drive under any circumstances,” he asserted.

Grand rabbi of Vishnitz Bnei Brak bans photographers and taking photos at weddings | Religion
“At the rabbi’s weddings there are always several photographers snapping thousands of photos, so why shouldn’t we be allowed to have wedding photos?” A follower of the Vishnitz grand rabbi said.

1) Why is it necessary to come up with all of these absolutely insane proclamations when the Torah and the Talmud were already given to Moses on Sinai? If the Talmud, as Iwish and TFF were so adamant in pointing out earlier, explains how all Jews should observe the mitzvah in the Torah, why are any of these proclamations necessary and why are these rabbis able to make pronouncements/changes that were not necessary 1500 years ago.

2) How do these ultra orthodox communities have any support from reform, conservative or even mainline modern orthodox denominations? The amount of corruption, female oppression, and child abuse is sickening in these areas. I understand why insiders won't speak out against it as most of them are brainwashed and/or scared into silenced, but I would think that other Jews would take a harder stand against this kind of rampant abuse.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,375,675 times
You're getting your info from websites that hate Judaism. What proof do you have that the prevalence of child abuse is greater in Orthodox communities? You can't bring an accusation like that and not back it up with data to support your claim, right?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,375,675 times
Oh, and to answer the question titling this thread - daas Torah (you may need to google that term).

I don't think the Reform and Conservative Jews, as well as the goyim, believe in daas Torah. So my answer may sound foreign to you.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,805,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
You're getting your info from websites that hate Judaism. What proof do you have that the prevalence of child abuse is greater in Orthodox communities? You can't bring an accusation like that and not back it up with data to support your claim, right?
It's not greater than any other community, but it is extremely more covered up in Hasidic and Haredi communities compared to other Jewish communities.

Your data as requested:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Sexual abuse cases in Brooklyn's Haredi community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Child Sexual Abuse, Orthodox Jewish Community, Lawsuit | Child Molestation, Sex Crime, Religious Secrecy, Rabbis & Sexual Assault
Nechemya Weberman among 46 named convicted child sex offenders who terrorized the Orthodox Jewish community are released by Brooklyn DA | Mail Online
Ultra-Orthodox Jews seen hanging their children instead of joining the Israeli army
Ultra-Orthodox Jewish girls school threatens to throw out victims of sexual assault if police are contacted

Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Oh, and to answer the question titling this thread - daas Torah (you may need to google that term).

I don't think the Reform and Conservative Jews, as well as the goyim, believe in daas Torah. So my answer may sound foreign to you.
So all of the head ultraorthodox rabbis have daas Torah? Who's to say that their judgments are valid? Why are they considered infallible? What if one rabbi of one sect makes a judgment and another one disagrees with it? Who does it apply to? How come modern orthodox rabbis aren't making complete lunatic judgments?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Where do (Hasidic/Haredi)* rabbis get this type of authority?
The same way a cult leader does. And What's worse it's passed down through family members.

* Had to add section due to body covering those sects.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
How come modern orthodox rabbis aren't making complete lunatic judgments?
Because they are paid employees of the congregation. Thus they can be fired.

You may like this article since it carries the son of a intermarriage and a rabbi.

http://roshpinaproject.com/tag/joseph-kolakowski/
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/video-of-guns-causes-unrest-in-jewish-community/article_b54ee96d-0ecf-5e77-819b-bc46c566e6b4.html

While a rabbi prayed in a Richmond synagogue, a group of Orthodox Jews passed around an AK-47 before a ceremony celebrating the end of the Sabbath.

FYI: the rabbi mentioned is in the video wearing a robe.
http://privateinvesigations.blogspot.com/2011/01/richmond-va-video-of-guns-in-orthodox.html

Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The same way a cult leader does. And What's worse it's passed down through family members.
Well I definitely get that. I was just wondering if TFF or Iwish could help me understand his/her view on these types of pronouncements and how it is helpful to understanding the Torah.

That guy with the AK-47 was completely unhinged.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
You're getting your info from websites that hate Judaism.
Suuuure. Just like this one. The Jewish Daily Forward. The paper version that only comes in Yiddish.

http://forward.com/articles/146750/hasidic-gangs-battle-for-jerusalem/

Old 01-07-2014, 03:20 PM

864 posts, read 873,433 times
Quote:
Well I definitely get that. I was just wondering if TFF or Iwish could help me understand his/her view on these types of pronouncements and how it is helpful to understanding the Torah.
I could, if you're ready to learn. For starters, you'd have to stop basing your questions based on information found on anti-semitic websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism