Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
So what happens when they eventually do learn that your wife converted?
Has anyone actually asked for proof that she converted? Is there a special card she must card that stated she is Jewish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
A lot can be done by bringing interfaith families into the fold. My rabbi and I discuss this often - because my mom was so thoroughly rejected by her synagogue and all that she tried to get involved in when she married my dad, she did not continue to make Judaism a priority. My dad was happy to raise us Jewish, but my mom was the one who felt very hurt and betrayed. She felt that she needed to take Judaism out of her life to keep her marriage - and it seemed to have worked - they've been married 35 years and together more than 45 (since they were 13).

On the contrary, I know plenty of children of interfaith marriages who are devoutly religious - including people who went on to rabbinical school or work in Jewish education. One of the later had a Jewish father and a Protestant minister for a mother, but she was raised in both traditions, became dedicated to Judaism with her bat mitzvah, and has formally converted. That would never have happened if her Jewish community had turned up their nose at her family.

Don't treat the children of interfaith couples as already lost. That attitude is pervasive and becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - why ever would I feel comfortable in your synagogue if you tell me that my parents or my heritage is somehow less?

Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 AM

388 posts, read 384,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I bet an Orthodox Jew could tell she is a poser.
One of the most disrespectful things I've heard from you yet.

As far as interfaith families in synagogue: I believe that interfaith marriage should not be encouraged, but you should not ostracize them either. Very hard to balance. I believe that a non-Jewish spouse should not be allowed to be a member in a Synagogue unless they convert.

I personally would not marry a non-Jew at this stage in my life as I want a partner who I can grow my Yiddishkeit with and create a Jewish family.

JB, just as an aside, I'm totally jealous that you guys live within walking distance of a Modern Orthodox synagogue. My closest MO shul is a 15 mile walk!

Last edited by Tikva; 04-08-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Has anyone actually asked for proof that she converted? Is there a special card she must card that stated she is Jewish?
Ironically I get asked more often because my father is Asian than she does. One time a synagogue's gabbai had the gall to tell me afterwards, "we normally give visitors an aliyah but we were pressed for time today". This was after I saw him talking to the rabbi in the corner looking in our direction before the service began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post

Originally Posted by hiker45
- I bet an Orthodox Jew could tell she is a poser.

One of the most disrespectful things I've heard from you yet.
Actually it is a perfectly understandable response from a Christian or cultural Christian (which are the majority of American atheists) not familiar with Jewish "denominations". From a Christian point of view, it would be kind of weird for someone raised Episcopalian to claim that they were Methodist or vice versa. Unfortunately his comment comes across as very insulting to non-Orthodox converts.

Why Orthodox rejection is insulting is because of the one-way nature of Jewish pluralism. More liberal denominations view the more conservative denominations as valid albeit narrow interpretations of Judaism, but the more conservative denominations don't even view the liberal denominations as Jewish at all. Therefore when an Orthodox Jew says that a non-Orthodox convert is not Jewish, it's like a family member disowning another family member. This is very different than when some flaming Baptist fundamentalist claims that Catholics are going to hell. Who cares? The Catholic isn't a fundamental Baptist.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
JB, just as an aside, I'm totally jealous that you guys live within walking distance of a Modern Orthodox synagogue. My closest MO shul is a 15 mile walk!
Hmmm..... that's not me. The next closest synagogue to mine (of any type) is an hour and a half drive away. Mine (which is Conservative) is a 30 minute drive.

I'd love to be within walking distance.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Jewish name is never asked by UO Jews? I thought family and lineage was super important? Tff went on about all the great Jews in reform synagogues and how they have fallen so low.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 AM

Sorry JB, I got mixed up. I meant Usuario!

Usuario, do you and your SO walk to the MO Shul?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Oh, this is when we go out of town. No, there are no MO synagogues in the area, only Chabad and a Reform shul.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Sorry JB, I got mixed up. I meant Usuario!
In that case, I'm jealous as well. I'd love to be in walking distance to a MO synagogue.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 AM

When I graduate from college, that will be a definite sell point on any place I choose to buy.

My local Chabad house is a 5 mile walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism