Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 PM

671 posts, read 854,561 times

Advertisements

Paris (AFP) - The number of French Jews emigrating to Israel rose nearly four-fold in the first quarter of the year and could touch a record in 2014, a Jewish organization said Monday.
http://news.yahoo.com/sharp-rise-fre...174124468.html

How serious is the problem of anti-Semitism in Europe today?

There are several dimensions of anti-Semitism, in Europe and everywhere else. But Europe, for many thousands of years, has been the main stage on which the tragedy has played out.

First of all, there is the so-called obvious and evident anti-Semitism which is being monitored by the Kantor Center at Tel Aviv University. It’s something very real, severe and serious. And I can tell you, the situation is not so nice, although it’s a little better than 2012.

What is the other kind of anti-Semitism you were referring to?

The other kind is so-called democratic or public anti-Semitism, which is growing dramatically in Europe, and has become a part of normal life there.

Usually, the Jewish Diaspora, especially in Europe, tolerates it. Practical persons, when some leader, politician or some banker says something almost anti-Semitic, choose not to react because they don’t want to overreact and make something worse than it is in reality. I think it’s an illusion, because this phenomenon is growing, and the fertilizer is our tolerance of it. We tolerate and tolerate, and the phenomenon is becoming bigger and bigger.

Especially because of this, after serious doubts we decided collectively as the European Jewish Congress to come out strongly against the Anelka case. Usually, people don’t want to touch public figures or stars, as they don’t want to draw attention to themselves. We say no, here this cannot be the case. The quenelle is a covert Nazi gesture. So we decided to make it an issue.

How so?
http://news.yahoo.com/sharp-rise-fre...174124468.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
Definitely hearing a lot of French here in Israel. It's my understanding that the rising amount of anti semitism in France is due to huge increase of Muslim immigrants over the past few decades. However, there has always been a deep seated fear and hatred of Jews in Europe, so that might just be a smokescreen.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:53 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
It's sort of odd that that the quantity of Jews in France hasn't changed since this report came out in 2003 stating there were also 500k Jews. So I'd probably like to see which community of Jews are leaving in comparison to its birthrate.
More Than One Quarter of Jews in France Want To Leave, Poll Finds

Jews fleeing France to Israel after anti-Semitism raises with the growth of Muslim immigrants - YouTube

But the chatter I've heard on other forums have been that the Muslim youths are being taught revisionist history in relation to Jews in Palestine/Israel over the past 100+ years. Many Muslims already believe that Jews started all the wars since 1948 since there are none to counter it and their internet is filtered.

France: The Resurgence of Anti-Semitism | All media content | DW.DE | 16.04.2014
NEW JEWISH EXODUS…from France, the result of Muslim hatred for and violence against Jews there | BARE NAKED ISLAM
LiveLeak.com - The racist exile of Jews from Arab countries.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 AM

Islamization of France ( some of these are in French, But one hear how many times Israel is brought up yet also dubbed out in the translations):

The opinion of muslims in France regarding french law... .mp4 - YouTube

'Islamization' of Paris, France - a Warning to the West / l'Islamisation de Paris - YouTube

Old 06-05-2014, 07:05 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
That type of stuff is really scary. The Muslim that shot up the museum in Belgium recently was originally French and then went to train in Syria for a few years.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:47 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Probably the best way to understand what is happening in Europe today is to understand what happened in the past.

It seems to me that European countries have a long history of treating minorities very badly. If I belonged to a minority group that I thought was going to be treated badly, then I would consider leaving. That's how people survive.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Probably the best way to understand what is happening in Europe today is to understand what happened in the past.

It seems to me that European countries have a long history of treating minorities very badly. If I belonged to a minority group that I thought was going to be treated badly, then I would consider leaving. That's how people survive.
This is a great point. It also helps explain some of the radicalization of Muslims in those countries. They are "othered" to the point where we hear about even 2nd or 3rd generation young adults radicalizing, much to the horror of their educated, liberalized parents. It plays right into the hands of antisemitism.

There's also a huge rise in far-right parties in Europe. They often run on an anti-immigrant platform, but all too often they harbor antisemitic feelings toward the Jews that have been in their countries for generations. When I was in Budapest in 2009, all I heard from anyone was that the Jewish population was increasing. Those who had fled Hungary during or after the Holocaust were RETURNING from Israel. Not all, but enough to make headlines. Today, antisemitism is rising in Budapest due to the "Hungary first" mentality that excludes all minorities: Anti-Semitism taboo under threat in Hungary | Reuters

Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Linky:
Discrimination & hate crimes against Jews report.
http://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/f...-states_en.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism