Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 11:05 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Many Jews are horrified at the thought of an open casket...as many non Jews are horrified of being put in the ground in a white shroud and plain wooden box.
That doesn't horrify me at all.

When my daughter was about four years old, she heard my mother and I talking about going to the funeral home because someone had died. She wanted to know what we were talking about.

So I tried to explain that when someone dies, their family is going to miss them, so they dress them up and fix their hair and put makeup on them so their family and friends can see them one last time and say goodbye.

She started laughing and said, "They put makeup on the dead people and everyone comes to look at them? You're making that up!"

Out of the mouth of babes. It is ridiculous. When my brother was dying, he said he wanted to be buried in his favorite sweatshirt and that he did not want to have an open casket and have people coming in to look at his dead body. We put out pictures of him as he was in life, and it was much nicer.

My father had an open casket, but whoever glued his mouth shut had gotten a little out of control with the Krazy Glue and he had sort of this grim look to him that he never had in life. He'd always been smiling.

My daughter knows I prefer cremation.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
I don't understand what is so scary about a white shroud and a plain wooden casket.

What I do understand as scary is looking at a lifeless corpse on display.
I don't think it's scary to look at the lifeless corpse, just weird that we do that. Why? They never look good, no matter what anyone says to the bereaved. They look DEAD.

I went to one viewing of the father of a friend where I went up to the casket to be polite. The man was in his early eighties. He'd always been a nice man, and his widow was standing nearby, so I said the usual, "Well, he looks as if he didn't suffer." She said to me, "No, he looks good, doesn't he? He was always such a good-looking man." She then gestured toward his body, with a smile on her face and said, "You can see why I said 'Yes', can't you?"

Uh....yeah, I wanna jump right in that casket on top of him. What the hell do you reply to that?????

Old 03-12-2015, 07:47 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,734,496 times
Do gentiles get "points" or credit in the afterlife for converting people to Christianity?

Old 03-12-2015, 09:52 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,175,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Do gentiles get "points" or credit in the afterlife for converting people to Christianity?
I'm guessing definitely no for non-Christians. Similarly, no for Christians. There's even a passage where it says some people who convinced others to convert won't get into Heaven because they themselves were not real believers. That's not an exact quote, but it captures the general message. There's encouragement to go out and tell people, but no reward for it even if you are successful.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:13 AM

40 posts, read 42,071 times
Man, you should try doing a taharah and get slapped by the body post-mortem, now that is scary. I don't really think there is are so many tracks when we are talking about death. The way you are brought up, your culture and teachings influence where you find comfort and solace in times of need.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
LOL! No.

However, I think some of them think they will. Good one.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,897,673 times
Quote:
If the gentile is Muslim or Hindu, the answer is probably No.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:37 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Quote:
Youre making the assumption that all gentiles are Christian

Old 03-16-2015, 07:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
What does the Easter Bunny and the egg hunt signify on Easter Sunday?

Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,175,515 times
Medieval Christians were rather obsessed with finding symbols in nature that they could identify as allegories for things in the Bible. Eggs were viewed as allegories of Jesus in that they came from life, appear dead, and then bring forth life.

The bunny (and painting the eggs) were holdovers from pagan traditions I think. Every few centuries the Catholic Church would try to remove some of the pagan holdovers it had previously allowed to make converting easier on people, but some things survive this process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism