Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:09 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
A few spit on. Others received death glares. So yes, my personal experience shows that Orthodox and Hasidic Jews are quite unwelcoming, unlike the less religious Jews.
the Baal Shem Tov (founder of Chassiduth) teaches us every Jew is precious, and to love every Jew, and to view every person favorably, for this nullifies harsh decrees upon high.

When we speak ill of other Jews, and when we speak ill of any person, we are drawing down harm upon the Jewish people. This in addition to being lashon hara, which is as severe as murder, because it kills the person saying it, the person hearing it, and the person it is being said about.

May we all stop the lashon hara, B'H"

Old 05-29-2015, 03:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the Baal Shem Tov (founder of Chassiduth) teaches us every Jew is precious, and to love every Jew, and to view every person favorably, for this nullifies harsh decrees upon high.

When we speak ill of other Jews, and when we speak ill of any person, we are drawing down harm upon the Jewish people. This in addition to being lashon hara, which is as severe as murder, because it kills the person saying it, the person hearing it, and the person it is being said about.

May we all stop the lashon hara, B'H"
Spoken like a real Orthodox Jew. And seconded by this Orthodox Jew. We have enough non-Jews who hate. We certainly don't need our fellow Jews, like at the beginning of this thread, hating us, too. Shame on them taking the low road and empowering those that would harm us with their "support" of anti-Jewish belief.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:48 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against them. Everyone has the freedom to be as religious or secular as they please. The most religious and Orthodox person is fine in my book (from any religion) as long as they are respectful of others who choose not to live such a lifestyle. The fact that that happened to my friends was more disappointing than anything. We weren't upset or angry that they were treated like that. We were disappointed that a fellow member of the same religion would treat more secular members in that way. Already we are a small population. There is no need to alienate even more Jews or not consider us Jewish.

Again, not trying to say hateful things about the Orthodox community. Simply stating my person experiences. I hope that is understood. And no, not 100% of my encounters with Orthodox have been negative. In fact, the majority have been positive. But as a subsection of the Jewish religion, they are generally the less tolerant ones (again, in my experiences).

Old 05-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
There is no need to alienate even more Jews .
Yes that is true, may we treat every Jew and every person with kindness and respect
Hashem loves each and every one, and we are to emulate His ways
Shabbat Shalom jesse, may your Shabbat be filled with joy and delight, B'H"

Old 05-29-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
thread title is "Do you dislike non-Jews?"
No, that is not correct, nor is it part of what Judaism teaches. Torah teaches us to view every person favorably, and in turn Hashem will view us favorably. Also the acts of a single yid affect the whole world. Literally. A good deed, a kind word light up the heavenly chambers. The opposite, G-d forbid, damages others and increases the time we spend in exile.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-29-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 05:03 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,149 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against them. Everyone has the freedom to be as religious or secular as they please. The most religious and Orthodox person is fine in my book (from any religion) as long as they are respectful of others who choose not to live such a lifestyle. The fact that that happened to my friends was more disappointing than anything. We weren't upset or angry that they were treated like that. We were disappointed that a fellow member of the same religion would treat more secular members in that way. Already we are a small population. There is no need to alienate even more Jews or not consider us Jewish.

Again, not trying to say hateful things about the Orthodox community. Simply stating my person experiences. I hope that is understood. And no, not 100% of my encounters with Orthodox have been negative. In fact, the majority have been positive. But as a subsection of the Jewish religion, they are generally the less tolerant ones (again, in my experiences).
I understand completely what you are saying and your experience especially about what you saw in Israel is very common and it does turn violent quite a bit.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:41 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Orthodox and Hasidic Jews dislike everyone that isn't Orthodox or Hasidic. But as for the majority of the Jewish population, that's not true at all. I definitely think Jews get along better with each other and with Catholics for some reason, but we don't dislike other religions. We just end up having more in common with each other and Catholics. At least that's my situation. And many other Jews I know seem to vibe better with Catholics than any other religion.
I think the reason for Catholics is because their structure is similar to Judaism from what I've noticed...

Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
That's another blood libel. Where did all this Jew hatred come from. Please go away and don't ever come back.
There's the old TFF I know and love....

Old 05-31-2015, 09:40 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
I know some Christians who are good friends with a Jewish family as well as the rest of their kids. These Ultra-Orthodox Jews do come over and eat with them, but.....they bought them their own personal huge outdoor grill so they could cook their kosher meat or whatever on it.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:44 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
That's a blood libel. Shame on you.
theflipflop, if one of your kids decided to (chas v'shalom) become an observant Conservative Jew and daven daily at an egalitarian minyan, would you treat him or her any differently?

Glossary:

chas v'shalom: roughly equivalent to "God forbid"
daven: Yiddish for Jewish ritual praying
minyan: a quorum of Jews in a religious setting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism