Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:23 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,368,558 times

Advertisements

This almost had a happy ending. My wife's brother married a non-Jew about ten years ago. They divorced about 5 years later, with no kids, primarily because being married to a non-Jew was just too complicated, even though he's a totally secular guy.

After divorce, he decided to specifically aim for marrying a Jewish girl. He only dated Jews. About 2 years ago, he found the most amazing Jewish girl. Last year they got engaged, and the wedding is rapidly approaching. They're going to have a beautiful wedding on the Jersey Shore.

So last week, we found out his fiancée is the daughter of a reform concert. Even though she has lived every day of her life as a "Jew," she of course is not actually Jewish. I'm pretty sure my brother in law does not realize his future kids would not be universally accepted as Jewish.

Ugh. My wife can't stop crying. All of our brothers and sisters married non-Jews. It's just utter devastation of 2 Jewish families.

I just don't know how to console my wife, and all I keep thinking is when will this horrible, painful exile the Jewish people are in come to and end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 03:01 PM

22,235 posts, read 19,245,773 times
couldn't she simply undergo a safik conversion, which "corrects" or "upgrades" previous conversions? if she wants a Jewish marriage and home would she do this? May Hashem help the bride and groom and family. there is still a happy ending in this for sure. what does the beis din say to address this?

Old 09-04-2015, 03:13 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,368,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
couldn't she simply undergo a safik conversion, which "corrects" or "upgrades" previous conversions? if she wants a Jewish marriage and home would she do this? May Hashem help the bride and groom and family. there is still a happy ending in this for sure. what does the beis din say to address this?
They're both reform. It's not possible to be universally accepted as Jewish unless you commit to observing Tuareg mitzvos (all 613 mitzvos).

She thinks she's a Jew.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:19 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,267,906 times
a safek conversion would only work if there is a safek that a valid conversion was performed or that the person doesn't need one at all. If a reform conversion was done, a beis din might require an expedited but still demanding process, depending on her level of practice. And if the goal is the wedding, many won't go through the process because it would lok like it is being done just for the marriage.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:26 PM

646 posts, read 465,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post

She thinks she's a Jew.
Good for her. She is a Jew. I don't care what the Orthodox say. Neither should she. You are not gonna change her opinion that she is a Jew. Accept the situation and move on. If they ever have kids they likely won't care that some Orthodox Jews don't accept them.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Good for her. She is a Jew. I don't care what the Orthodox say. Neithef should she. You are not gonna change her opinion that she is a Jew. Accept the situation and move on. If they ever have kids they like ly won't care that some Orthodox Jews don't accept them.
If the concern is her being accepted by others as a Jew then her self assessment isn't the end all and be all.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:36 PM

646 posts, read 465,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
If the concern is her being accepted by others as a Jew then her self assessment isn't the end all and be all.
Why would and should she care what some Orthodox say? What right do others have to worry about HER being accepted?

If the future husband is not yet aware that the Orthodox authorities won't accept the future wife as Jewish, he is a moron. Everybody knows that. He likely just doesn't care. Good for him. It won't impact them in any way. If the future kids at some point want to be Orthodox they can convert to Orthodoxy.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:43 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
There are a lot of Jews I am sure that can't prove their lineage and after the holocaust, I wouldn't question whether somebody was a Jew because if they live like a Jew and act like a Jew, I figure they are Jews. But how does a Jew even know if there was a gentile here or there in the past? I don't see where it would matter if a Jew had a great, great, great, great grandmother that was a Gentile who lived like a Jew. I would still consider their family Jewish without papers, but I suppose acceptance is very important to some people and I can understand that.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Why would and should she care what some Orthodox say? What right do others have to worry about HER being accepted?

If the future husband is not yet aware that the Orthodox authorities won't accept the future wife as Jewish, he is a moron. Everybody knows that. He likely just doesn't care. Good for him. It won't impact them in any way. If the future kids at some point want to be Orthodox they can convert to Orthodoxy.
sure. Ignorance is bliss. Let some one else deal with it in the next generation. Great advice. Asking why she should care is a useless question. As presented, it seems like the asker cares or at least his wife does. So telling him she has no right to care isn't very effective.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
There are a lot of Jews I am sure that can't prove their lineage and after the holocaust, I wouldn't question whether somebody was a Jew because if they live like a Jew and act like a Jew, I figure they are Jews. But how does a Jew even know if there was a gentile here or there in the past? I don't see where it would matter if a Jew had a great, great, great, great grandmother that was a Gentile who lived like a Jew. I would still consider their family Jewish without papers, but I suppose acceptance is very important to some people and I can understand that.
You might not, but if her kids ever wanted to attend an Orthodox school, they would ask. If she ever wanted to move to Israel and claim citizenship un the Israeli law, they would ask. Many illegal immigrants in the US feel American and can say they are American. You, as a nice person might even consider them American. That doesn't change the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism