Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:09 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am Jewish. "Enlightened" Jews love favoring those that would kill us.

No surprise given who your PM and ruling majority party are now, as opposed to pre-October 2015.
Right because no far right folks are ever anti semetic. Harper was indeed very much pro isreal, too much for that matter however just because Trudeau thinks Muslims are people too does not mean he is anti Jewish. As a Jewish atheist I am so glad ,, and relieved that Harper is gone. You do know that many of the anti semetic groups support the CPC and provincial conservatives.

Changing from a right of Centre to a Centre left party here seems to have a similar increase in anti semetic attacks as moving from a Centre left to a right of Centre party in your country so perhaps it might be more than who the leader is.

Still it is less likely for someone to shoot up a place in Canada than in the US. And m9st places are unguarded by either armed security guards or armed attendees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 02:10 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Where does one begin? The Jews played a role in forming the NAACP but gentiles both black and white were also involved. Many black civil rights activists (ever hear of Bayard Rustin?) actively reciprocated not ONLY with opposition to antisemitism in the US, but with active and vocal support for the state of Israel.
Most leaders starting from Malcolm X to Reverend Jesse Jackson to Reverend Wright thanked the Jews with bile and hatred.

Quote:
Jews are not leading any charges, but are continuing to support longstanding US policy on refugees, and helping with resettlement. This is done out of our values - but has certainly been responded to with allyship - not by "radical muslims" but my ordinary Muslims, and many other allies.
Which one?

Quote:
And you don't need to tell me about Norman Podhoretz. I read Commentary back when the GOP was still decent.
Why don't I need to tell you about his book?

Quote:
By the way you appear to be thinking of Stanley Levinson. Barry Levinson, the film maker, did not even yet have any TV writing credits at that time, and he wrote comedy.
You are right on the first name. So what?

Quote:
But I suggest you take this to politics. Its not about security at synagogues, and certainly not about Torah.
I responded to your post.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:34 PM

567 posts, read 788,106 times
We have had security for years in Scottsdale. It was doubled for Religious School the day after the shooting, and several officers were there for the interfaith remembrance service. It was packed.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:40 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
My son is a police officer and did a detail today at a bat mitzvah.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Here’s what it costs to put your synagogue under armed guard

https://www.timesofisrael.com/heres-...r-armed-guard/

Old 11-19-2018, 05:30 PM

919 posts, read 848,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Here’s what it costs to put your synagogue under armed guard

https://www.timesofisrael.com/heres-...r-armed-guard/
Quote: The added measures have changed Saacks’ budget, of course. He estimates that all of the physical protections will cost $150,000 in total. That does not include some of the window and camera costs, which he paid for partly out of a $50,000 grant from New York state. And the armed guards, contracted from a private security company at $40 an hour each, cost about $360 per week.

Interesting.
In many ways, none of them flattering to anyone involved.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Quote: The added measures have changed Saacks’ budget, of course. He estimates that all of the physical protections will cost $150,000 in total. That does not include some of the window and camera costs, which he paid for partly out of a $50,000 grant from New York state. And the armed guards, contracted from a private security company at $40 an hour each, cost about $360 per week.

Interesting.
In many ways, none of them flattering to anyone involved.
Explain.

I think it may be alarmist and excessive but how is it not "flattering"? Just people who want their children to return home from Hebrew school alive.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:58 AM

919 posts, read 848,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Explain.

I think it may be alarmist and excessive but how is it not "flattering"? Just people who want their children to return home from Hebrew school alive.
No argument regarding kids.

But to me, alarmist behavior is not flattering. This Rabbi has gone into siege mentality. Which is his right. Just not a "profile in courage" type of guy.

Obviously the situation is unflattering to the Nazis (whether they call themselves Christian or not) - very few situations are.

Why is the state of New York subsidizing a religious institution? Would they pay $50K cash to a mosque? Not a good look there either. (However, no quibbles about increased police presence and so on. Just don't hand out cash.)

Finally, if that Rabbi paid retail price for these alarms and services, that would not just be unflattering but a disgrace

Old 11-20-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Why is the state of New York subsidizing a religious institution? Would they pay $50K cash to a mosque? Not a good look there either. (However, no quibbles about increased police presence and so on. Just don't hand out cash.)
Handing out the cash is questionable but far cheaper than the State installing and/or providing security directly. The State does have a primary obligation to provide security for lawful religious activities. Particularly when certain attacks are foreseeable.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:28 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Why is the state of New York subsidizing a religious institution? Would they pay $50K cash to a mosque? ...
It's not just religious organizations. NYS has had this funding as part of the State budget for decades. The funding dates back numerous decades in relation for neighborhood watches to exist. Shomrim and Shmira in NY are funded from the same budget allocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism