Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:29 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Does it frighten any of you to see the institutionalization of Jew hatred (and the protecting of those who do so) by one of our political parties? Or do you disagree that’s happened?
What frightens me is than many of us only see it in one group but not the other.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:37 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Does it frighten any of you to see the institutionalization of Jew hatred (and the protecting of those who do so) by one of our political parties? Or do you disagree that’s happened?
Yes. What transpired among the Democrats as they rushed in to defend Omar following her antisemitic remarks is scary indeed. It's the first step down a very dangerous path. In fact, I've discovered that far-left forums will not even allow criticism of Omar, lambasting Jews who do so as being anti-Muslim.

Now here's my question: Will American Jews continue to support the Democrats as the radical left, tolerant of antisemitism at best and outright encouraging it at worse, overtakes the party?

Old 03-20-2019, 12:24 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Personally,
I don't know a Jew who would ignore the Royal Torah.

The Hebrews I've heard stories about are oracles of the Torah and would never concede to a murderer...

They would hear, listen, and never forget the promises of their Chosen One. The One who divided bitter and sweet water so that they would find a path of safety from the pursuers who ignore the voice and Light hovering above the waters of the firmament..

Though Mosheh and Eliyahu are their.

If only a hebrew would speak up for the Truth..

Old 03-20-2019, 12:51 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_scale
FYI>>>>> the biology of a scale .. so I vote with Pinacled..... look like scales to me...

Old 03-20-2019, 01:44 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
If you know the distinction between the waters then speak up youngin.
Blah,blah, what?...

Old 03-20-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_scale
FYI>>>>> the biology of a scale .. so I vote with Pinacled..... look like scales to me...
And you’ve shown your ignorance of the subject...

Old 03-20-2019, 04:46 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
The halachic concept of fins and scales, discussed here

What is the Halachic definition of fins and scales? - mitzvot kosher kosher creatures

an excerpt

------------
Applying the definition of kaskeset to the various species of fish is not always simple. Some claim that one can look at the scientific classifications of scales in order to determine whether the scale qualifies as a kaskeset. Scientifically, there are five different types of scales: placoid, cosmoid, gadoid, ctenoid and cycloid.

Placoid scales are found on many different types of sharks (sharks do have scales, though they rip the skin when removed and thus cannot be considered “kaskeset”), cosmoid are found on lungfish, gadoid are found on sturgeon, gars and bowfin. These three types of scales are rarely found on kosher fish, though I mentioned bowfin (Amia Calva) as at least one example of a kosher fish with gadoid scales.

The other two types, cycloid and ctenoid scales, are the ones found on most kosher fish. The scale classifications are based on varying factors, such as the make up of the scale, its relationship to other scales on a fish, and the structure of the growth rings on the edge of a scale (experts can determine how old a fish is by counting rings on its scales, much as they would rings on a tree).
----------

Old 03-20-2019, 08:15 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Ok, not really intending to discuss shark meat’s kashrus.
Too bad, I was interested in responses on that subject.
Quote:
Is it mutually agreed upon by all the regulars In this forum, no matter our backgrounds or level of observance, that anti Semitism world wide is at an increased enough level that we Jews should be at least somewhat worried?

Are you worried?
I will answer my views on the dull, low-level anti-Semitism in the next segment.

I discussed this very issue with a very smart close friend of mine, who is Jewish. I expressed the view that when laws protecting Jewish interests and people from attack go unenforced, that was the point, historically, where the Jews would get, to quote Joni Mitchell, the "Urge for Going." My friend agreed with my analysis. We discussed that in the U.S. the Pittsburgh synagogue attack in October was a one-off incident, and that all levels of law enforcement reacted effectively and rapidly. Same with other less publicized incidents. By contrast, in France and Denmark the civic leaders were very good at shedding tears, not so good at reaching into organized immigrant communities that eagerly fomented the Charlie Hebdo, HyperKosher Market, and the Copenhagen Synagogue. The Pittsburgh attack, fortunately, was the work of a nut-job. After WTC I and 9-11, by contrast, there was significant infiltration into and investigation of cloistered, hostile immigrant communities in the U.S. When that changes I think Jews will start to worry.
Quote:
Are you beginning to feel somewhat cornered with Israel also under attack with both rockets and political rhetoric?
I have always been uncomfortable with the double-standard that seeks to hold Israel to an impossibly high standard that would amount to national suicide while ignoring, for example, Myanmar's butchery of its Muslim Rohingya (sp) (one wonders why no Muslim outrage there) or the internecine slaughter in Yemen or, back in the 1980's between Iran and Iraq. But this double-standard is dangerous to Israel, not U.S. Jews.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Very thoughtful response, JBG. And JB, this Jew hatred is out in the open in one party now - it’s even soon to be institutionalized from the top should we elect one of the chief anti-semites like Beto, Warren or Bernie. But surely this Jew hatred exists in the other party too - they just aren’t brazen enough to do it for all to see. Point being: a line has been crossed when one party makes anti Semitism standard policy.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Very thoughtful response, JBG. And JB, this Jew hatred is out in the open in one party now - it’s even soon to be institutionalized from the top should we elect one of the chief anti-semites like Beto, Warren or Bernie. But surely this Jew hatred exists in the other party too - they just aren’t brazen enough to do it for all to see. Point being: a line has been crossed when one party makes anti Semitism standard policy.
Bernie’s anti-Semitic????...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism