Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 07:46 PM

151 posts, read 88,327 times

Advertisements

I've done my Google search and I have an email into my Rabbi, but does anyone here have thoughts on this group? I met a lady in Israel who actually found someone for me to study with. She seemed quite moved by the fact that I was a convert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 08:10 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
The most authentic source material is published by Breslov Research Institute, so read what they publish, maybe start with "Restore my Soul" "Ourpouring of the Soul" "Tzaddik" and "Rebbe Nachman's Wisdom." Read these yourself and see if they resonate with you. It is not about what other people say, pay attention to how your neshama responds. If the activity of pouring out your heart talking to G-d in your own words for at least an hour every day appeals to you, then Breslov may be for you.

Another excellent book is "Chasidic Masters" by Aryeh Kaplan z"l, it gives you a framework of Chassidus and has a section on Rebbe Nachman. Breslov is firmly rooted in Chassidus which began with the Baal Shem Tov so acquaint yourself there too, maybe start with "The Path of the Baal Shem Tov" by Dovid Sears, and "In Praise of the BaalShem Tov"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-08-2019 at 08:42 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 08:32 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Two other books I read over and over and over and can't put down are "Against All Odds" by Gedaliah Fleer. And "Through Fire and Water" by Chaim Kramer.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:41 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Rabbi Yonassan Gershom (author of Jewish Themes in Star Trek, and other books on Judaism) is a Breslov Hasid, and I really enjoyed reading his perspective on things. He's the only Breslov I personally know of, as I believe they are a small group.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 AM

151 posts, read 88,327 times
I am going to get the books you suggested. I'm looking forward to being able to study with them! There is always so much to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The most authentic source material is published by Breslov Research Institute, so read what they publish, maybe start with "Restore my Soul" "Ourpouring of the Soul" "Tzaddik" and "Rebbe Nachman's Wisdom." Read these yourself and see if they resonate with you. It is not about what other people say, pay attention to how your neshama responds. If the activity of pouring out your heart talking to G-d in your own words for at least an hour every day appeals to you, then Breslov may be for you.

Another excellent book is "Chasidic Masters" by Aryeh Kaplan z"l, it gives you a framework of Chassidus and has a section on Rebbe Nachman. Breslov is firmly rooted in Chassidus which began with the Baal Shem Tov so acquaint yourself there too, maybe start with "The Path of the Baal Shem Tov" by Dovid Sears, and "In Praise of the BaalShem Tov"

Old 08-09-2019, 12:39 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Very common for BT’s and converts to be attracted to Breslev. My only advice to you, is make sure you have the basics in place (learning Gamara, davening in a proper minyan) before you explore “feel good” approaches to Yiddishkite. Nearly every BT and convert I know who has been attracted to Breslev is a haskhafic mess. That said, their teachings are gorgeous and there are many many choshuv Breslevers.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:26 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
I have a huge interest in anagrams, so I was startled and intrigued when I read this in the Wikipedia article titled "Breslov (Hasidic group)":

Quote:
They noted that the Hebrew letters of the word Breslov (ברסלב) can be rearranged to spell lev basar (לב בשר —the "ס" and "ש" sounds are interchangeable), "a heart of flesh"—echoing the prophecy in Ezekiel (36:26): "I [G-d] will take away your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism