Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 09:50 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

....the one decision that bothered me from the time I was old enough to learn about it was the one that Moses was to die before crossing into the Promised Land. I think it is next week's Parsha, and the Rabbi is sure to explain it, but am I the only one who feels this way?

Old 08-25-2019, 05:09 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
....the one decision that bothered me from the time I was old enough to learn about it was the one that Moses was to die before crossing into the Promised Land. I think it is next week's Parsha, and the Rabbi is sure to explain it, but am I the only one who feels this way?
Wasn't that a punishment for the golden calf or something like that?!

Old 08-25-2019, 07:50 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Wasn't that a punishment for the golden calf or something like that?!
Yes, it was....because he lost his temper. I always thought the punishment was way too harsh given how Moses sacrificed his entire life (and a cushy existence in Pharoh's palace) to save the Hebrew slaves. Why couldn't he have been allowed to cross the river, feel Israel's soil under his feet, and die and be buried there?

Old 08-25-2019, 08:03 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,879,375 times
I know, right? It doesn't seem fair. But, as "G-d's children" I suppose we may sometimes tend to see the decisions of our parent (G-d) as being unfair.

I thought that Moses was denied entry into the promised land on account of Moses not only failing to give due credit to G-d when Moses provided water for the Israelites in the desert from a rock, but also for deliberately not following G-d's specific instructions regarding which rock to use for the purpose. The previous golden calf incident was why the Israelites were punished by being made to wander in the desert in the first place.

I think it all comes down to G-d's object lessons regarding the price one pays for disobedience. And the example that G-d made of Moses was to show that not even our leaders are spared. (IMO)

Old 08-25-2019, 12:51 PM

64 posts, read 40,542 times
I thought questioning pretty much every decision, ever, was our mandate?

..and then the arguing about the questions. Forgot that, my bad.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:59 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I know, right? It doesn't seem fair. But, as "G-d's children" I suppose we may sometimes tend to see the decisions of our parent (G-d) as being unfair.

I thought that Moses was denied entry into the promised land on account of Moses not only failing to give due credit to G-d when Moses provided water for the Israelites in the desert from a rock, but also for deliberately not following G-d's specific instructions regarding which rock to use for the purpose. The previous golden calf incident was why the Israelites were punished by being made to wander in the desert in the first place.

I think it all comes down to G-d's object lessons regarding the price one pays for disobedience. And the example that G-d made of Moses was to show that not even our leaders are spared. (IMO)
I’d think that it was because Moishe might have become an idol...

Old 08-25-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I’d think that it was because Moishe might have become an idol...

That's probably why no one was told where Moses was buried. Doesn't the Talmud explain that somewhere, so that people wouldn't turn Moshe's gravesite into a place of worship?

Old 08-25-2019, 05:22 PM

243 posts, read 102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faranbrygo View Post
I thought questioning pretty much every decision, ever, was our mandate?

..and then the arguing about the questions. Forgot that, my bad.

In one of my conversion books, the guy who wrote it told about his first lesson with the Rabbi. They were walking down the hall together to his office and as they passed one of the rooms, he heard a bunch of men shouting at each other . He was thinking “ What am I getting myself into?”, as far as picking the right synagogue. He said he must of had a shocked look on his face or something. The Rabbi must of seen his face , because he said “ Oh, they’re just discussing Torah”. That’s when he found out that it was common, that they weren’t fighting. It’s like the saying “ 4 Jews, 5 opinions “ ( something like that)

Old 08-25-2019, 06:46 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,734,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
In one of my conversion books, the guy who wrote it told about his first lesson with the Rabbi. They were walking down the hall together to his office and as they passed one of the rooms, he heard a bunch of men shouting at each other . He was thinking “ What am I getting myself into?”, as far as picking the right synagogue. He said he must of had a shocked look on his face or something. The Rabbi must of seen his face , because he said “ Oh, they’re just discussing Torah”. That’s when he found out that it was common, that they weren’t fighting. It’s like the saying “ 4 Jews, 5 opinions “ ( something like that)

Yep! We see that all of the time.

I first noticed that someone was disagreeing with the Rabbi in my early sessions. I was trying to pick my jaw up off of the floor when I heard that "debate". In this case, it wasn't much of a debate, because the Rabbi had spent his whole life learning, and the arguer didn't have his facts straight. I was more surprised that no one batted an eye.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post

It's my belief that we Jews have evolved with a natural tendency towards critical thinking, based on our tradition of arguing various points in our religion. Perhaps this might explain why Jews are so over-represented among the Nobel Prize winners.

I also think that those who choose to be Jews (a.k.a. converts), along with those who merely share an empathy with Jews, have an innate appreciation of that kind of critical thinking in conjunction with religious observance.

I know that probably sounds controversial, but it's an idea in which I indulge myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism