Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 08:11 PM

243 posts, read 102,987 times

Advertisements

The Nobel Prize part is probably because they value learning and education and are dedicated to learning.
A lot of people don’t have that dedication or motivation to learn.
I also like to discuss and debate issues. I like how they say that a lot of people in the same synagogue can have different viewpoints on some issues. In the churches that I’ve been to , that wasn’t the case. I haven’t been in 24 years, so I don’t know if they mellowed with time though. Of course, I was only going for social reasons , in singles group,before I got married . If I had questions they’d argue with me, not in a debating way either. Even when I was a kid, I had too many questions for my Sunday school teachers. A couple even told my parents about my “ disruptive “
behaviour . Of course, they’d then stop attending that church and would go to another. They’d eventually stopped attending all churches because of their “ judgmental and condescending acts”.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:56 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,737,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
It's my belief that we Jews have evolved with a natural tendency towards critical thinking, based on our tradition of arguing various points in our religion. Perhaps this might explain why Jews are so over-represented among the Nobel Prize winners.

I also think that those who choose to be Jews (a.k.a. converts), along with those who merely share an empathy with Jews, have an innate appreciation of that kind of critical thinking in conjunction with religious observance.

I know that probably sounds controversial, but it's an idea in which I indulge myself.

I think so also. It takes us awhile to get used to it, because it's so foreign initially, but we're much happier overall in the long run. It's a thousand times more pleasurable than being a kid in a candy store, just being able to learn.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism