Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 08:45 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,965 times

Advertisements

Before I got my first tattoo, I Googled "will your parents ever accept your tattoos?" a lot of "Jews with Tattoos" articles popped up. I glanced at them, but I just took a deep breath and everything worked out (two tattoos later LOL!). My parents are cool with it, my body, my choice.

I saw a debate a few months ago in the Jewish newspaper I subscribe to and a lot of young Jews choose to get them. Depending on the parents, it depended on what the reaction was. I like reading debates and they were interesting debates. However, I didn't feel self-conscious until yesterday. I belong to Reddit and I posted pictures of the two I have to a tattoo subreddit. A few people from the Jewish subreddit flamed my pictures and said they are despicable (one is "for when I am weak, then I am strong" that I got on an extremely painful anniversary). So, I was on Google again.

I found this interesting article from the New York Times. It might be from 2008, but it echoed what the Exponent had to say a few months ago and the Exponent has shown pictures of Jewish volunteers with tattoos on their arms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/fashion/17SKIN.html

I try not to take Reddit or even a lot of posts here to heart, but sometimes I struggle with when internet people attack me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 10:45 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Those of us who were born either traditional or orthodox and brought up that way won't have tattoo's. I don't and none of my cousins have tattoo's either.

Leviticus 19:28

... וְשֶׂ֣רֶט לָנֶ֗פֶשׁ לֹ֤א תִתְּנוּ֙ בִּבְשַׂרְכֶ֔ם וּכְתֹ֣בֶת קַֽעֲקַ֔ע לֹ֥א תִתְּנ֖וּ בָּכֶ֑ם אֲנִ֖י

You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: ...

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...in-jewish-law/

Old 04-19-2020, 10:48 AM

Pruzhany, that makes sense. I'm just not sure if it was right to attack others who might.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:49 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,872,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Before I got my first tattoo, I Googled "will your parents ever accept your tattoos?" a lot of "Jews with Tattoos" articles popped up. I glanced at them, but I just took a deep breath and everything worked out (two tattoos later LOL!). My parents are cool with it, my body, my choice.

I saw a debate a few months ago in the Jewish newspaper I subscribe to and a lot of young Jews choose to get them. Depending on the parents, it depended on what the reaction was. I like reading debates and they were interesting debates. However, I didn't feel self-conscious until yesterday. I belong to Reddit and I posted pictures of the two I have to a tattoo subreddit. A few people from the Jewish subreddit flamed my pictures and said they are despicable (one is "for when I am weak, then I am strong" that I got on an extremely painful anniversary). So, I was on Google again.

I found this interesting article from the New York Times. It might be from 2008, but it echoed what the Exponent had to say a few months ago and the Exponent has shown pictures of Jewish volunteers with tattoos on their arms.

I try not to take Reddit or even a lot of posts here to heart, but sometimes I struggle with when internet people attack me.
It's your body and your choice. While I don't have any tattoos, I wouldn't dream of telling anyone (even through the relative anonymity of a forum) that their body is "despicable." Those who said those hurtful things to you should carefully consider whether they are the ones who are being despicable. It could be that HaShem is far less pleased with them, than with you. (And I don't think HaShem would be displeased with you at all.)

That said, I suppose you already know that traditional Jews don't get tattoos or body piercings of any kind? That (I believe) is based on halacha rather than minhag. Rosends (a rabbi on this forum) would be able to explain why.

EDIT: I just now saw Pruzhany's post, explaining the reason why. Thank you, Pruzhany!

Old 04-19-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Pruzhany, that makes sense. I'm just not sure if it was right to attack others who might.
Outside of people who had it forced on them during the Shoah, I have never seen a Jewish Boomer to have one. The secular Gen X's and later do have them.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
It's your body and your choice. While I don't have any tattoos, I wouldn't dream of telling anyone (even through the relative anonymity of a forum) that their body is "despicable." Those who said those hurtful things to you should carefully consider whether they are the ones who are being despicable. It could be that HaShem is far less pleased with them, than with you. (And I don't think HaShem would be displeased with you at all.)

That said, I suppose you already know that traditional Jews don't get tattoos or body piercings of any kind? That (I believe) is based on halacha rather than minhag. Rosends (a rabbi on this forum) would be able to explain why.

EDIT: I just now saw Pruzhany's post, explaining the reason why. Thank you, Pruzhany!
Gotcha. I'm pierced too - I have 13 of them, though mostly on my ears (and a nose piercing).

I agree. I think it's a waste of time and hurtful to attack others, especially others you don't know. I sort of took those people with a grain of salt because they also attacked my GF matzo ball soup as being potato based. I was diagnosed with Celiac two years ago and I'm still learning; I cook mostly by recipes and the recipe I found was potato based. It was delicious...

That makes sense about the generational thing too. My parents are Boomers and they don't have piercings or tattoos. When they were growing up, it was taboo with Christians and Atheists alike.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:17 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,872,593 times
Quote:
Gotcha. I'm pierced too - I have 13 of them, though mostly on my ears (and a nose piercing).

I agree. I think it's a waste of time and hurtful to attack others, especially others you don't know. I sort of took those people with a grain of salt because they also attacked my GF matzo ball soup as being potato based. I was diagnosed with Celiac two years ago and I'm still learning; I cook mostly by recipes and the recipe I found was potato based. It was delicious...

That makes sense about the generational thing too. My parents are Boomers and they don't have piercings or tattoos. When they were growing up, it was taboo with Christians and Atheists alike.
Men in general society could get tattoos and it would be acceptable -- but it's a relatively new thing for women to be getting them. In Judaism, the same prohibition against tattoos applies to men as well as to women.

The reason I don't have any tattoos has less to do with religion than the fact that I just don't think that anyone's art is good enough for me to be permanently displaying on my body.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:53 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:

I am not Jewish, I believe in Judaism but I dont practice the law as Jews do(Lord bless them for doing so).

I do however have one strict rule that I choose to follow like a sacrifice. I have always wanted a tattoo, and I know exactly the tattoo I really desire.

Since I dont really keep the law, I thought I should at least keep one law strictly as a memorial, something I really want, but would rather not do because it is a sacrifice not to do. What would somebody call something like that?

Old 04-19-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I am not Jewish, I believe in Judaism but I dont practice the law as Jews do(Lord bless them for doing so).

I do however have one strict rule that I choose to follow like a sacrifice. I have always wanted a tattoo, and I know exactly the tattoo I really desire.

Since I dont really keep the law, I thought I should at least keep one law strictly as a memorial, something I really want, but would rather not do because it is a sacrifice not to do. What would somebody call something like that?
Nobody can make that judgement call except for G_d as he recognizes that the person has a choice.

Quote:
Behold, I have set before you the blessing [of observing the commandments] and the curse [the potential punishment for failing to observe the mitzvot] — therefore, choose life!

Old 04-19-2020, 03:22 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
In Judaism, we do not "own" our bodies but rather they are sort of a loan from G-d. Jews have a responsibility to take care of the body as much as possible. Perhaps, rosends could provide a better explanation.

Non-Jews are free to tattoo or not tattoo. Besides what was stated in Pruzhany's post, anyone with a strong connection to the Shoah, would find a tattoo repulsive. Recent generations are more emotionally detached from the Shoah, even Jews. It seems like ancient history to them. In mainstream culture, until 30 or so years ago, a tattoo was associated with mostly sailors. Think of the musical South Pacific or even McHale's Navy where sailors had tattoos of girls that they met in various ports or names of girls. It was considered a low class thing. Officers did not get them. Then it became associated with any member in the military and it meant that you were a "tough guy." Eventually, it became associated with Prison culture. Tattoos of butterflies and flowers on women only became popular during the 60s with hippy culture. It became an art form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism