Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 06:21 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading Jewish Literacy, The Most Important Things to Know About the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History by Joseph Telushkin; all 750 pages. The book has been laying on my shelf, literally, since my son was confirmed at Temple, May 2012. It was given as a reward for the few kids that underwent confirmation after the Bar Mitzvah. I mentioned I was reading it tonight to one of my rabbis and suggested it as good literature to give people in the process of converting to Judaism. He said he looks for less intimidating-looking literature first, and he had a point. I will admit that I did intersperse reading it with other reading. The book looks scarily big but it is surprisingly readable and accessible for what amounts to an encyclopedia covering Jewish history, literature, practice, holidays and life-cycle.

Jewish Literacy contained a lot of material I didn't know, even though I am more involved than a typical Reform Jew. Bias alert; one of my tennis partners attended day school with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 07:25 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,879,375 times
I think that Rabbi Telushkin's book Jewish Literacy should be on the shelf in every synagogue library. It's an excellent book that answers questions -- both for Jews by choice as well as for Jews born into the faith. Thanks for highlighting this wonderful book jbgusa!

I especially like the way that the book explains certain fundamental differences between the way Christians think and the way Jews think as, for example, when it comes to the concept of giving charity. This is especially important for Jews by choice to understand, as they navigate Judaism.

Rabbi Telushkin explains that, while the Christian concept of charity is derived from the Latin word caritas, meaning "from the heart" and implies a voluntary act, the Jewish concept of charity is derived from the Hebrew word tzedaka -- a feminine form of the Hebrew word tzedek, meaning "justice." In Judaism, we are obliged to give charity not just to be personally nice, but because it is justice and G-d commands us to be just. It is good that we additionally have our hearts in the giving of charity, but we should also and always be aware that we give because giving is the just and right thing to do -- not merely the kind thing to do.

I think this was humorously illustrated in the original Broadway production of Fiddler on the Roof. There is a scene where one of the villagers in Tevye's small Jewish community, who is in the habit of regularly giving charity to the village beggar, happens to give the beggar less than the usual amount. The villager apologizes to the beggar, explaining that he had "a bad week." The beggar replies: "So, if you had a bad week, why should I suffer?" Some people might remark on the apparent ingratitude of the beggar, but it's a funny scene nonetheless, and does illustrate the fact that we don't give charity in expectation of gratitude.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 08-08-2021 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-08-2021, 03:53 PM

3,430 posts, read 1,845,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I think that Rabbi Telushkin's book Jewish Literacy should be on the shelf in every synagogue library. It's an excellent book that answers questions -- both for Jews by choice as well as for Jews born into the faith. Thanks for highlighting this wonderful book jbgusa!

I especially like the way that the book explains certain fundamental differences between the way Christians think and the way Jews think as, for example, when it comes to the concept of giving charity. This is especially important for Jews by choice to understand, as they navigate Judaism.

Rabbi Telushkin explains that, while the Christian concept of charity is derived from the Latin word caritas, meaning "from the heart" and implies a voluntary act, the Jewish concept of charity is derived from the Hebrew word tzedaka -- a feminine form of the Hebrew word tzedek, meaning "justice." In Judaism, we are obliged to give charity not just to be personally nice, but because it is justice and G-d commands us to be just. It is good that we additionally have our hearts in the giving of charity, but we should also and always be aware that we give because giving is the just and right thing to do -- not merely the kind thing to do.

I think this was humorously illustrated in the original Broadway production of Fiddler on the Roof. There is a scene where one of the villagers in Tevye's small Jewish community, who is in the habit of regularly giving charity to the village beggar, happens to give the beggar less than the usual amount. The villager apologizes to the beggar, explaining that he had "a bad week." The beggar replies: "So, if you had a bad week, why should I suffer?" Some people might remark on the apparent ingratitude of the beggar, but it's a funny scene nonetheless, and does illustrate the fact that we don't give charity in expectation of gratitude.
This might not be relevant to the post, but I don't really know why, I almost read or was thinking about reading a book called The Zehemer Rov I think that was exactly the title. Now let me elaborate a little more...

I grew up in Monroe NY.
(So?)
Every time I tell people "I am from Monroe NY." 90% chance the first thing they say is.. "Oh, you're Jewish!"
(I am not Jewish. Moving on)
I know why that correlation or connection is made. On the outskirts of Monroe, there was The Village of Kiryas Joel. I knew back then, but I think I understand a little bit more now, Kiryas Joel is a Brooklyn-style Orthodox Jewish community that just so happens to be in Monroe NY. (I went to Sacred Heart school, myself.) So when I tell people I am from Monroe, I can see how they may have that thought.

Jewish communities ARE cool, apparently Kiryas Joel was a guy that came and founded it, in the hopes of doing outreach??? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiryas_Joel,_New_York <-- This link says they separated from Monroe in 2019; shows you, it has been awhile. And when I grew up there, the area code was 914. It is no longer 914 and has not been for awhile.

I think Jewish communities are rather awesome, and living in Lakewood NJ.. .Again, another Kiryas Joel type situation.

I know a lot more about the Old Testament than people think. When I worked at a certain pharmaceutical company, one that is on Towbin Ave . I got along very well with the staff and management there. I remember one time I randomly started whistling the song from Tetris. One of the guys was genuinely staring at me a little bit. "Jo-jo.. How do you know that song!?!?" I explained that it was from Tetris. I did NOT know that that was a classic Jewish (Hebrew???) song, may be played at Bar Mitzvahs and Bat Mitzvahs. And that the guy in Russia that made Tetris.. was Jewish, and put it as the theme for that reason. One of the guys that worked there was "in training" for some kind of religious role, and then went around singing it for about 20 minutes. It was a real cool atmosphere in there. I could go on and on..

So, anyways, I am Christian. One of the things I always learned, and it would not surprise me if some take issue with this, is.. That Christians are "True Jews" and the only thing that really separates a Christian from a Jew is belief in Jesus and the New Testament. Jesus himself was a Jew.. I am sure I don't need to go through a whole history lesson, and I therefore won't lol.. but, Christians are more in touch with Judaism than I think most people would ever care to realize. And then the whole "The New Testament fulfills the old" thing.. again, not to re-hash here. I could go on and on, but. I DO remember, at work, that I came to realize.. If everyone is going to have their Yamaka (quick Googling out of respect says it can also be a kippah/yarmulke. Again, I am not Jewish so I am not going to act like an expert authority on Judaism.. fair.) That I was going to wear a cross necklace. (Not a crucifix. I look at people strange that have an image of Jesus hanging from a cross. That to me, is a Graven Image. Thou Shalt Not Make.. yeah.) So, a regular cross. Mine may have had The Lord's Prayer on it. Either that or.. you know what, let me go look. I don't wear it anymore because they eventually get lost and it is one more thing to put on when you are moving fast... Okay, that one was in fact The Lord's Prayer I HAD another with the verse "I have called you out of the wilderness" or something like that. Ok moving on.

So, I have an interest in Judaism. Not because I doubt my faith in Jesus.. But, again, interesting, I recently had to leave a situation because I was made to be belittled for believing in God.. At all. https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...l#post61632720

(I also thought that only Jehovah's Witnesses typed G-d. I am familiar with why. That you should only reference God's name when being reverant, I think is what I remember. If Jews do that too then I learn something new every day.)

So. When people suggest to read a book. The best explanation I have ever heard given, is pure Hollywood. Denzel Washington, in a rather *yawn* movie called The Book Of Eli (in which one guy, Eli, walks the earth, looking for the Bible while a roving band of devils look for the same a la Mad Max.. and he is BLIND because he walks by faith... Okay.. Okay.. I get it.. Okay.. Nice. Anyways..) He says, "There is only one book." (Amen!)

That said, I have focus issues and I have strongly thought about reading some books that can give me insight and things to remember when I go to the main course, the one that the author and finisher of my faith has given to me to lead my life, and has saved me.. The Bible.

The song I was referencing is from 0:52 on.
The VERY opening, which I had forgot, sounds like it could be a "Jewish song" (miktam? Of David?) as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQwohHgrk2s

Old 08-08-2021, 03:54 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
I love this book.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:59 PM

The song I was referencing is from 0:59 on.
The VERY opening, which I had forgot, sounds like it could be a "Jewish song" (miktam? Of David?) as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQwohHgrk2s

Old 08-08-2021, 04:20 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,267,142 times
There are a couple of things wrong with your post, so I'll just point them out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I knew back then, but I think I understand a little bit more now, Kiryas Joel is a Brooklyn-style Orthodox Jewish community that just so happens to be in Monroe NY.
There is no such thing as a "Brooklyn-style Orthodox community." Brooklyn has a variety of different communities and the particular community in Monroe is not like most of them. In fact, that's why these particular people moved out of Brooklyn.

Quote:
apparently Kiryas Joel was a guy that came and founded it, in the hopes of doing outreach???
No. Kiryat is the Hebrew word meaning "the town of". It is named after R. Joel Teitelbaum who took a bunch of his followers and moved up north a little, to get away from the corrupting influences he found in Brooklyn. There was no interest in outreach.

Quote:

I think Jewish communities are rather awesome, and living in Lakewood NJ.. .Again, another Kiryas Joel type situation.
Lakewood is Lakewood. It is not a "Kiryas Joel type of situation."
Quote:
I remember one time I randomly started whistling the song from Tetris. One of the guys was genuinely staring at me a little bit. "Jo-jo.. How do you know that song!?!?" I explained that it was from Tetris. I did NOT know that that was a classic Jewish (Hebrew???) song, may be played at Bar Mitzvahs and Bat Mitzvahs. And that the guy in Russia that made Tetris.. was Jewish, and put it as the theme for that reason.
No, it is a Russian folk song. It isn't specifically Jewish.
Quote:
One of the things I always learned, and it would not surprise me if some take issue with this, is.. That Christians are "True Jews" and the only thing that really separates a Christian from a Jew is belief in Jesus and the New Testament.
So wrong that reams of paper have gigabytes of web server space have been used to point out how wrong this is. It diminishes and reduces Judaism.
Quote:
Christians are more in touch with Judaism than I think most people would ever care to realize.
Mostly, no they are not. They seem to think things like "Christians are the True Jews" which shows how little they know.

Quote:
If everyone is going to have their Yamaka (quick Googling out of respect says it can also be a kippah/yarmulke. Again, I am not Jewish so I am not going to act like an expert authority on Judaism.. fair.) That I was going to wear a cross necklace.
Then, again, you don't understand Judaism. Jews who wear a skull cap don't do it as a choice and some sort of public expression of identity, but as a particular religious obligation.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 08-08-2021 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
You are quite welcome.

Quote:

That was one of the many gems in the book. Also extremely helpful was the explanation of the (evolving) differences in the Reform (my denomination), Conservative, Orthodox and Reconstructionist denominations. For me, this book will give me a handy way to send a pithy, authoritative summary of Jewish approaches to issues. For example, many don't understand the focus on education, hygiene, community and family. Other items less essential but still important are the focus on such obscure events such as Jacob Schiff's, a philanthropist, sponsorship, in 1907, of Jewish migration to the U.S. by way of Galveston, Texas and the resultant sprinkling of Jewish committees in Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana. I sent a PDF of that passage to my senior Cantor, who hails from Dallas. I had always found her Dallas roots a bit dissonant, given her lack of any accent or any other "Texas" attributes. She confirmed that one of her parents' lineage derived from the Galveston project and the other side had migrated to Texas pre-Civil War. I asked if she would teach an adult course on alternative Jewish migrations other than the Lower East Side. She said she has studied it and certainly could but "I might be her only student or attendee."

Quote:
The book is loaded with such humorous episodes.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
There are a couple of things wrong with your post, so I'll just point them out:
Okay, no problem..

Quote:
There is no such thing as a "Brooklyn-style Orthodox community." Brooklyn has a variety of different communities and the particular community in Monroe is not like most of them. In fact, that's why these particular people moved out of Brooklyn.
Thank you for the clarification.

Brooklyn (actually, Lakewood too) came to mind in the context of what I posted as "areas with large Orthodox Jewish population," if that helps to clarify. I can see I worded it wrong.

Quote:
No. Kiryat is the Hebrew word meaning "the town of". It is named after R. Joel Teitelbaum who took a bunch of his followers and moved up north a little, to get away from the corrupting influences he found in Brooklyn. There was no interest in outreach.
Ahhhh. Okay. I got the founding history wrong there. Okay, Thank you again for pointing that out.

Quote:
Lakewood is Lakewood. It is not a "Kiryas Joel type of situation."
Again.. Lakewood (actually, Brooklyn too) came to mind in the context of what I posted as "areas with large Orthodox Jewish population," if that helps to clarify. I can see I worded it wrong.

I know there are places like this https://www.google.com/search?q=yesh...hObEIzRUFF;mv:[[41.1888888,-73.6923628],[39.99266850000001,-74.2809114]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1! 2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2 "Beautiful Yeshiva where they incubate future talmidei chachomim." everywhere (Yeshiva? School?) and I know not exactly what they do however I was just observing.

Quote:
No, it is a Russian folk song. It isn't specifically Jewish.
Thank you for this as well.

Quote:
So wrong that reams of paper have gigabytes of web server space have been used to point out how wrong this is. It diminishes and reduces Judaism.
This, I would disagree with you on.. That Jews don't accept Jesus, okay that I know, but that Christianity not only has its roots in Judaism but that the New Testament fulfills the old including but not limited to Isaiah.. Again I don't think what you wrote here is quite true. It may even be a compliment and increase to!

Quote:
Mostly, no they are not. They seem to think things like "Christians are the True Jews" which shows how little they know.
"Real Christians" know Scripture and I could stand to learn some more of it. I'm not like most (Christians) that think of it more like a brand name and license to do whatever they want, and literally know none.

Quote:
Then, again, you don't understand Judaism. Jews who wear a skull cap don't do it as a choice and some sort of public expression of identity, but as a particular religious obligation.
Now this, I don't think I have ever heard of it referred to as a "skull cap."

I know there are different head coverings.. People frequently think I am Jewish as well because I wear a similar style of hat, not quite a Fedora but one has a longer brim.. I know there are different beliefs and disciplines (that may not be a correct word but, I want to express this as "best" I can) of Judaism and maybe some feel some form of head covering is acceptable and some not (I Googled it to make sure I had the correct spelling of "Yamaka" and it is when I looked I saw, different words..
Kippot - Yamaka - Kippah - Yarmulke - Jewish Hat - Kippahs
I am not claiming to be an authority on this.)

I am at least partially familiar with the obligation to have a head covering, again I could come up with quick Google info - https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...ng-of-the-head - I'm always open to learning something new.

The one I cannot place is the one that looks round and very large, perhaps is for certain holy days? I am doing my best to describe it, I do not know.
^ Okay it appears to be a Shtreimel.

I know Jews have the Tanakh, which is a collection of three books in one.. Torah, Nevi'im, Ketuvim

Old 08-08-2021, 08:01 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,879,375 times
Quote:
This, I would disagree with you on.. That Jews don't accept Jesus, okay that I know, but that Christianity not only has its roots in Judaism but that the New Testament fulfills the old including but not limited to Isaiah.. Again I don't think what you wrote here is quite true. It may even be a compliment and increase to!
PatrioticSuperman, I don't think that you meant any offense, but you need to know that telling a Jewish person that your Christianity somehow "fulfills" or "improves" or "completes" Judaism is offensive to us. We are fine exactly the way we are, as G-d intended for us to be. I am sure that you are the way that G-d intended you to be, as well. If only all could accept this and live in peace with each other.

Quote:
Now this, I don't think I have ever heard of it referred to as a "skull cap."
Yes, "skull cap" is just another word for the Hebrew word kippah (plural: kippot) or the Yiddish word yarmulka.

Quote:
I know Jews have the Tanakh, which is a collection of three books in one.. Torah, Nevi'im, Ketuvim
The Tanakh is pretty much what you would call "The Old Testament." The first five books of the Tanakh comprise the Torah. The Nevi'im comprise the books of the Prophets, and the Ketuvim comprise the holy scriptures. The book of Isaiah that you mentioned is part of the Nevi'im. We call it the book of Yeshayahu (which is the original, Hebrew name for Isaiah).

Old 08-08-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
PatrioticSuperman, I don't think that you meant any offense, but you need to know that telling a Jewish person that your Christianity somehow "fulfills" or "improves" or "completes" Judaism is offensive to us. We are fine exactly the way we are, as G-d intended for us to be. I am sure that you are the way that G-d intended you to be, as well. If only all could accept this and live in peace with each other.
On a similar note I lost all respect for Ann Coulter (that I had as a fellow Cornell alum) with this: Coulter: We Want Jews To Be "Perfected" - CBS News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism