Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 07:21 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Interesting but not surprising that non-Jews wouldn't know about Cholent!
I'll bet there are also a lot of Jews who didn't know the etymological origin of the word "cholent," either. I'm one of those who didn't know, in fact, that the word comes from the French language and means "cooks a long time." I learned something new, and this is why I enjoyed Mayim Bialik's explanation so much and I enjoy seeing her host Jeopardy.

And yes, rosends, the picture of the cholent may have been misleading in regard to the anticipated response to the clue that specifically mentioned Exodus 35:3. But the onus is on the contestants to pay attention to the specific clue, and phrase their response questions accordingly. Some clues are tricky, and no one ever said that being a contestant on Jeopardy is easy. This is probably why Jeopardy has remained a classic television game show for more than one generation since 1964.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 08:25 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
i remember when we were kids my brother playing along on TV. even when he was a kid he knew a lot. he is someone who read the encyclopedia for fun. literally. we would come home from school, neighborhood kids would go out to play and ride bikes, he would grab a volume of the World Book encyclopedia and sit down and read it, at the bookmark where he had last left off. he started with volume A and was reading the entire encyclopedia set literally page by page every page, from start to finish.

he ended up being an attorney.

i remember once we were both home for summer when we were both at university. he was reading a book and i asked what he was reading, always curious about what held his interest. he said he was reading all the "assigned reading" from his university courses which he did not finish during the semester. I said "are you reading them for an upcoming class?" he said no the course is over. he was reading them because they were assigned and he did not finish them. i said you must really like the topic then. he said no he did not.

he also is the only person i know who will finish a book and keep reading it, even if he does not like it. we're talking books for fun, not books for work or school or required reading for any class or vocation or hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism