Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2022, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 894 times

Advertisements

I wonder how the Jews feel about conspiracy theories: let's say about Freemasons or about the Illuminati.
Do some of the Jews believe these theories?

Old 07-17-2022, 08:45 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,273,595 times
there are almost 15 million people who call themselves Jews (according to one count). That means that there are approximately 35 million opinions.

Some even root for the Yankees!

Old 07-17-2022, 08:54 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,561,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
there are almost 15 million people who call themselves Jews (according to one count). That means that there are approximately 35 million opinions.

Some even root for the Yankees!
Haha Go Mets!!

Old 07-17-2022, 10:09 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,889,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Haha Go Mets!!
Mets all the way with this New Yorker!

As to the OP... Conspiracy theories and their spreaders have generally not been kind to Jews. We often find ourselves the subject of antisemitic conspiracy theories -- both historical (blood libel accusations) and modern ("Jewish lasers" responsible for wildfires in the U.S.). Rational people don't buy into this nonsense.

I would not, however, label the organization of Freemasonry as a promoter of conspiracy theories. There have been many Jews who have been Freemasons. Unfortunately, the people who don't like either Freemasons or Jews have come up with their own, antisemitic and anti-Masonic Judeo-Masonic conspiracy theories.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:03 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark777 View Post
I wonder how the Jews feel about conspiracy theories: let's say about Freemasons or about the Illuminati.
Do some of the Jews believe these theories?

Well, pretty much all of the conspiracy theories about the Illuminati are nonsense. The organization only existed for about 10 years, in Bavaria, beginning in 1776.

There are a gazillion conspiracy theories about the Freemasons. After 25 years as a Freemason, I haven't found any of them to be true.

There are a number of famous Masons who are Jewish, including Harry Houdini (Ehrich Weiss). I just saw him mentioned today. There have been quite a few rabbis that chose to join the Masons, too. I doubt there is much of a problem with an organization that has attracted so many rabbis. https://www.jta.org/archive/many-rab...s-survey-shows

You may find this article interesting, too. SOME SEPHARDIC JEWS IN FREEMASONRY

It's a little difficult to find a list of Jewish Freemasons, possibly because the Masons don't really care what your religion is, so they don't normally keep such records.

Do some Jews believe conspiracy theories? Probably some do. Why? I have no idea.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:16 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,273,595 times
Any idea from one group might be deemed a conspiracy theory by another group.

I know Jews who are focused on the Kennedy Assassination. Some have very strong feelings about whether the moon landing happened. Some are sure that COVID doesn't exist. A religion doesn't shield you from developing an opinion about stuff.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:

I know Jews who are focused on the Kennedy Assassination. Some have very strong feelings about whether the moon landing happened. Some are sure that COVID doesn't exist. A religion doesn't shield you from developing an opinion about stuff.
The premise behind the OP's original question is suspect at best.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:21 AM

19,280 posts, read 17,158,241 times
Quote:

It doesn't shield you but it may govern the manner in which you respond to different situations.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It doesn't shield you but it may govern the manner in which you respond to different situations.
Sure, but that has nothing to do with conspiracy theories.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:35 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,889,570 times
Since the OP hasn't been back, it seems his question has been answered. Thanks to all who have participated, and I'll be closing this thread now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism