Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 03:15 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,819,514 times

Advertisements

I read where Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews are basically melded together now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 05:15 AM

43,753 posts, read 44,521,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I read where Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews are basically melded together now.
What is this based on?

I can say that Israeli Hebrew accent/pronunciation is definitely more Sephardic than Ashkenazi.

As for Sephardic vs. Mizrahi the main difference is where these Jews come from nowadays. Would it be wrong to assume that the Mizrahi Jews were formed as a result of the expulsion of the Sephardic Jews from Spain (1492)?

Old 08-14-2022, 06:54 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,888,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What is this based on?

I can say that Israeli Hebrew accent/pronunciation is definitely more Sephardic than Ashkenazi.

As for Sephardic vs. Mizrahi the main difference is where these Jews come from nowadays. Would it be wrong to assume that the Mizrahi Jews were formed as a result of the expulsion of the Sephardic Jews from Spain (1492)?
I think a lot of people are confused regarding the distinction between Sephardic and Mizrahi. Didn't the Mizrahim (Middle Eastern Jews) start to identify themselves as such after the founding of the modern nation of Israel? I'm not sure about that, but I figure you would know, Chava.

There has just about always been a Sephardic community in New York, going back in NYC's history when Jews immigrated here originally from Spain and Portugal via Brazil.

There are a couple of large Sephardic synagogues on Long Island (in the towns of Cedarhurst and Forest Hills). They are part of The Sephardic Jewish Brotherhood of America (La Ermandad Sefaradi).

In addition to New York City and Long Island, there are also large congregations in Miami Beach (supporting Cuban Jewish refugees), Indianapolis, Seattle, Portland, and Atlanta. Those other cities support Jewish immigrants from Greece and Turkey.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:30 AM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is Sephardic Judaism disappearing?
Nope
Quote:
Would it be wrong to assume that the Mizrahi Jews were formed
as a result of the expulsion of the Sephardic Jews from Spain (1492)?
Not wrong but vague. They were all cousins to the East European Ashkenazi.
Their common expulsion in the 11th C wasn't all that long beforehand.

The Mizrahi (as I was taught) more closely identified with their Sephardic heritage...
and the several Mediterranean port city culture influences (foods especially) which they absorbed over the centuries.

Then there is AMIT came https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amit

Last edited by MrRational; 08-14-2022 at 07:41 AM..

Old 08-14-2022, 08:27 AM

9,371 posts, read 13,038,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I think a lot of people are confused regarding the distinction between Sephardic and Mizrahi. Didn't the Mizrahim (Middle Eastern Jews) start to identify themselves as such after the founding of the modern nation of Israel? I'm not sure about that, but I figure you would know, Chava.
Whether or not this terminology is anachronistic, I thought that Mizrahim remained in the Levant, and other parts of the Middle East and North Africa, after the destruction of the Second Temple, and spoke dialects of Judeo-Arabic. Sephardim, on the other hand, lived in the Iberian peninsula and spoke Ladino between this time period and the Inquisition, after which they mostly (but by no means exclusively) sought refuge in MENA nations. I thought that for the most part, the Sephardim living in these lands retained their distinctive traditions and communities, just like Ashkenazim and Sephardim living in post-Enlightenment Holland and England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
In addition to New York City and Long Island, there are also large congregations in Miami Beach (supporting Cuban Jewish refugees), Indianapolis, Seattle, Portland, and Atlanta. Those other cities support Jewish immigrants from Greece and Turkey.
I find it especially intriguing when Sephardim remained socially prominent in smaller American Jewish communities like Indianapolis.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:48 AM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I find it especially intriguing when Sephardim remained socially prominent
in smaller American Jewish communities like Indianapolis.
Who were the founding Jewish families of those synagogues?

Old 08-14-2022, 11:40 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,888,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Who were the founding Jewish families of those synagogues?
"During 1911-1913 the families of Aroseli, Calderon, Camhi, Eskalyo, Nahmias, Toledo, and Yosha came from Monastir. [A city in the southwestern part of North Macedonia, known today as Bitola, and during the Ottoman Empire as Monastir.] These families, along with the Toledanos, Meshulams, and Cohens formed the Sephardic community in Indianapolis. Other families arriving later from both Monastir and Salonika [Greece] were Alboher, Baruch, Cassorla, Elias, Eskenazi, Farash, Hazen, Mordoh, Nefouse, Pardo, Passo, Profeta, Russo, and Sarfaty."

Quote in blue is from the website for Etz Chaim Sephardic Congregation in Indianapolis

Old 08-14-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Whether or not this terminology is anachronistic, I thought that Mizrahim remained in the Levant, and other parts of the Middle East and North Africa, after the destruction of the Second Temple, and spoke dialects of Judeo-Arabic.
Perhaps that is correct. But after the expulsion from Spain in 1492 some of the Sephardic Jews went to North Africa (which would mean some of them might be including in the Mizrahi group).

As far as I know nowadays Mizrahi Jews mean Jews that came from Middle East & North Africa. (particularly from Arab speaking countries).

Old 08-14-2022, 12:39 PM

9,371 posts, read 13,038,838 times
Quote:
Perhaps that is correct. But after the expulsion from Spain in 1492 some of the Sephardic Jews went to North Africa (which would mean some of them might be including in the Mizrahi group).
I’m sure there was some intermixing (just as there was among Ashkenazim and Sephardim in the aforementioned England and Holland), but I’m pretty certain that the Sephardim retained their distinct customs and communities.

Quote:
As far as I know nowadays Mizrahi Jews mean Jews that came from Middle East & North Africa. (particularly from Arab speaking countries).
That may be true in common parlance, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the divisions between MENA Sephardim, and the MENA Jewish communities which preceded them, have largely gone away in Israel.

Old 08-14-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:

That may be true in common parlance, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the divisions between MENA Sephardim, and the MENA Jewish communities which preceded them, have largely gone away in Israel.
In Israel there are still some different traditions between Sephardic & Ashkenazi Jews. Nowadays I doubt there are any major differences between Mizrahi and Sephardic Jews except individual traditions that might be linked directly to individual countries that various Jewish families immigrated from to Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism