Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 05:08 AM

43,759 posts, read 44,531,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I wouldn't say that "we are chasing adherents away." We do have a path for potential converts to become Jews, and I do think it is a good thing that conversion is not an instantaneous thing for us. However, I also understand and sympathize with those who grew up in a Jewish household and who may not be viewed as being Jews.

For example: I have a very dear friend, a member of my congregation, who was born of a Russian gentile mother and a Persian Jewish father. Her father happened to be a Karaite, and the Karaites trace their Jewish lineage through patrilineal descent rather than matrilineal. My friend grew up in a Jewish household in Iran before the country became the Islamic Republic of Iran. Her family had to leave after the Islamic Revolution there, immigrating to safety in Israel.
If one's mother's isn't Jewish, how could say that one grew up in a Jewish household? Did the mother perform Jewish rituals like lighting Shabbat candles, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My wife is Jewish, both sides. Her uncle (father's brother) is Jewish, and married a Gentile woman. His four children were brought up Jewish, and had Bar Mitzvah's. Mark, their oldest son, was about to marry a Jewish woman, Conservative denomination. Mark was quite surprised to learn that he had to convert to Judaism, even though he was informally considered (as was said at the celebration of his life), a member of the "Bergen County Jewish mafia."
I think the conversion ceremony might be modified depending on how exactly one is brought up if one's father is Jewish but not one's mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 05:55 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,888,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If one's mother's isn't Jewish, how could say that one grew up in a Jewish household? Did the mother perform Jewish rituals like lighting Shabbat candles, etc.?
In Iran they have extended families, with mothers, mothers-in-law, grandmothers and so on helping to guide the family rituals.

Karaites don't light Shabbos candles, but they do have Jewish traditions of their own extending back through the generations. Nowadays, though, my friend does light the Shabbos candles and says the blessing. I don't know whether that started for her after her family moved to Israel, or after she married her Ashkenazi husband. She loves the tradition, and has a number of beautiful Shabbos candlestick holders in her home that she has collected over the years.

I've posted here before about my Persian-Israeli friend and the customs she grew up with. Such as the
Pesach Sheini Seder I attended at her home: https://www.city-data.com/forum/63447509-post237.html

Old 09-20-2022, 05:27 PM

9,373 posts, read 13,040,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Yes, Conservative Judaism sides with Orthodox Judaism as regards patrilineal Jewish descent. I think that Mark and his fiancée would need to discuss the matter with the rabbi, to find out exactly what requirements the rabbi might have.

To quote Rabbi Charles Simon (executive director of the Conservative movement’s Federation of Jewish Men’s Clubs): "The Conservative response to patrilineal descent is compassionate and understanding, not rejecting... A person who has been raised Jewish all his or her life and is Jewishly knowledgeable but hasn’t gone to the mikveh would have to go through a symbolic conversion. They wouldn’t have to study 40 weeks. We would say this is a technicality and would take care of it as quickly as possible." Quoted from: Patrilineal Descent and the Conservative Movement

I don't know whether my friend "went to the mikveh" and (as I stated already) I'm not going to ask her. Whatever our rabbi decided is between her and him, as far as I'm concerned. I only know that she is a good Jew, and that is all I need to know.
And here I was thinking that under UCSJ standards, symbolic conversion was only an option during infancy. I learned something new today.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:06 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
"why not let a Jew be a Jew"?
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism