Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 08:24 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNipper View Post
I never imagined any human having horns, nor have I ever heard of that in any Christian church I attended nor in the Christian circles I've hung. I'm assuming that this was some myth perpetuated by a misunderstanding of scripture that most likely never read for themselves.

A picture (or sculpture) makes an indelible impression on all people, especially those who cannot read. This was very forceful for hundreds of years. Possibly still is viewed as the truth for many people.

Moses, by Michelangelo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 08:32 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
There was a Jewish poster named Walter Greenspan, now an Eternal Member, who was the first person I ever heard of tell of someone asking if he had horns. He was in the army, and the other man had never met a Jewish person before. I thought it was a joke, but he said no, it really happened.

I had never heard that Jewish people were supposed to have horns, and of course living in the NY/NJ metro I knew they didn't, but I did remember that a medieval mistranslation of Scripture had led to Moses having horns (instead of a staff, IIRC.)

Similarly, I once met a German girl who was dating an African-American man. Her friends and relatives back home wanted to know how she could be comfortable dating someone who had a tail.

Maybe people need to start teaching their children to ask "Can this actually be TRUE?" when they are told things like this.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:22 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Does anyone consider the ADL to be a credible organization?
They’re not perfect, but they’re leaps and bounds better than the Catholic League (however low that bar lies).

Old 07-01-2023, 07:20 PM

166 posts, read 51,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
A picture (or sculpture) makes an indelible impression on all people, especially those who cannot read. This was very forceful for hundreds of years. Possibly still is viewed as the truth for many people.

Moses, by Michelangelo
Regarding the statue of Moses pictured above...

I humbly submit this site, as I find it honest and a fair biblical perspective, though decidedly Fundamentalist, Bible believing Christian in nature (not to take anyone by surprise): https://www.gotquestions.org/Moses-horns.html

Old 07-02-2023, 05:18 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
Perhaps the most dangerous is the resurgence of the global conspiracy myth. We see it now entering the public discourse arena, carefully couched in a new form.

Growing up in a small southern town, we were insular, we tended to go to each other's stores, but then again, we were so interrelated with so many cousins and "cousins-in-laws" often it was going to a relative's place of business rather than someone who was of the same faith. (My grandparents had five kids (actually seven, but two died as infants), my great grandparents had seven and so forth.)

Old 07-05-2023, 11:45 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNipper View Post
I don't mean to insult anyone here; however, why would Jews have a thread regarding Anti-Semitic beliefs if they don't wish non-Jewish individuals to comment nor speak about things that Jews may find difficult to discuss? And there are JEWS (whether any here disagree or not) who now firmly accept that JESUS was/is THE JEWISH MESSIAH. They still celebrate all their Jewish traditions and can trace their Jewish heritage back generation. Some even had/have relatives who were in concentration camps and such would indeed totally disagree with anyone who tried to strip them of their Jewishness, and would be very hurt.

Please consider the following: https://mjaa.org/messianic-movement/...xoCL3YQAvD_BwE
There are people who are of Jewish heritage who are now Christian, but there is no such thing as a Messianic Jew. Accepting a false messiah is not accepted by any branch of Judaism, including reform and reconstructionist. Jesus did not fulfill what was required of him to be the messiah. Full stop. End of story. To ask Jews to believe otherwise is to ask them to believe that G-d is wrong. Can you understand why that's not well received?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was a Jewish poster named Walter Greenspan, now an Eternal Member, who was the first person I ever heard of tell of someone asking if he had horns. He was in the army, and the other man had never met a Jewish person before. I thought it was a joke, but he said no, it really happened.

I had never heard that Jewish people were supposed to have horns, and of course living in the NY/NJ metro I knew they didn't, but I did remember that a medieval mistranslation of Scripture had led to Moses having horns (instead of a staff, IIRC.)

Similarly, I once met a German girl who was dating an African-American man. Her friends and relatives back home wanted to know how she could be comfortable dating someone who had a tail.

Maybe people need to start teaching their children to ask "Can this actually be TRUE?" when they are told things like this.
I was asked about my horns as a kid growing up as one of the few non-Southern Baptists - much less nonChristian - kids in my Southern elementary school in the 90s. I was definitely the first Jewish person most of my classmates had ever met, and probably the first non-Protestant many had met as well! Now, that community has a highly ranked Muslim Quiz Bowl team to go along with the FCA, so thankfully things have shifted away from the ignorance.

Old 07-10-2023, 02:42 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
There are people who are of Jewish heritage who are now Christian, but there is no such thing as a Messianic Jew. Accepting a false messiah is not accepted by any branch of Judaism, including reform and reconstructionist. Jesus did not fulfill what was required of him to be the messiah. Full stop. End of story. To ask Jews to believe otherwise is to ask them to believe that G-d is wrong. Can you understand why that's not well received?
I agree. This is a challenge for me since a close friend considers himself a "Messianic Jew." I think that is an oxymoron. I cut conversations short when he goes on his Messianic rants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism