Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 05:35 AM

43,759 posts, read 44,538,330 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen it or is anyone here planning on seeing it? If so, what is your feedback about the movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 05:19 AM

I think anyone Jewish who is interested in Israel should see this movie. It is concentrated on the period that Mrs. Meir was the Israeli PM during Yom Kippur War. It is very moving to see this old lady undergoing secret radiation therapy while being responsible for the nation while it is at peril.

Old 08-30-2023, 05:34 PM

2,888 posts, read 7,144,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think anyone Jewish who is interested in Israel should see this movie. . .
Irrelevant to the movie, but anyone who is interested in Golda herself might be interested in learning about
‘The Mother of Israel’ Golda Meir’s Denver home that is now a museum in Denver.

Quote:
. . .
Golda Meir, a founding mother of Israel who signed that country’s Declaration of Independence and served as Prime Minister during many of its early crises, spent formative years living in an unassuming brick duplex on Denver’s west side. The house is now a museum. . .
Meir’s path through Denver on her way to the global stage was circuitous. She was born in Ukraine under Russian control at a time Jews were targeted by pogroms, or violent mobs. Her family fled to the United States. . .
so funny, the last part of the article includes her recipe for chicken soup.

Old 08-31-2023, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Irrelevant to the movie, but anyone who is interested in Golda herself might be interested in learning about
‘The Mother of Israel’ Golda Meir’s Denver home that is now a museum in Denver.

so funny, the last part of the article includes her recipe for chicken soup.
It is definitely relevant for anyone Jewish who is interested in Israel to see the movie.

Old 08-31-2023, 05:26 AM

2,888 posts, read 7,144,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It is definitely relevant for anyone Jewish who is interested in Israel to see the movie.
For sure - just adding another bit for anyone interested in Golda

Old 09-09-2023, 02:12 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,268,796 times
Saw Golda today.

It is so moving, you feel for every fallen soldier. You feel Golda's pain from the cancer and from the war.

Helen Mirren's portrayal and mannerisms look spot on. She is wonderful in the role. No complaints from me about having a non-Jew play a very Jewish woman.

The special effects makeup creator deserves an Oscar.

I don't think the movie will make any money, but I recommend everyone see it.

IMHO, it is the strongest anti-war movie I've seen. The angst felt by the leaders in the command center as the audio from the battlefields is heard, is heartbreaking. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be head of state and be responsible for ordering men and women to fight and die.

I will watch the movie again, but at home privately so that I may cry openly at her pain and our pain.

Old 09-10-2023, 05:48 PM

11,656 posts, read 12,742,542 times
I saw it today. It was very moving.

Old 09-12-2023, 10:35 AM

Although the Russian Government isn't happy with the movie "Golda", I still think it is good portrayal of her (as Helen Mirren does a superb job).
https://www.ynetnews.com/culture/article/hj51oxsrn

Old 09-13-2023, 01:14 PM

11,656 posts, read 12,742,542 times
I did pick up the part of the movie when Golda specifies "Ukraine" when talking to Kissenger as she reminisces about her childhood. At the time, I doubt that she actually said "Ukraine" since it was all part of the Russian empire. Everyone that I knew just said Russia even if the territory was in Belarus or Ukraine. As for the rest of the official Russian government complaints in that article-too bad. It was the cold war and Russian influence in that region are facts. The director said in an interview that he went to Kissenger's apartment to interview him for the movie.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:30 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,268,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I did pick up the part of the movie when Golda specifies "Ukraine" when talking to Kissenger as she reminisces about her childhood. At the time, I doubt that she actually said "Ukraine" since it was all part of the Russian empire. Everyone that I knew just said Russia even if the territory was in Belarus or Ukraine. As for the rest of the official Russian government complaints in that article-too bad. It was the cold war and Russian influence in that region are facts. The director said in an interview that he went to Kissenger's apartment to interview him for the movie.

Years ago, I asked my grandmother who emigrated to the US in the early 20th century, what country did she grow up in.

She said that the name of the country changed depending on what year it was. She said sometimes it was Poland, sometimes it was Russia. Life for the Jews didn't change regardless of name of the country. She was neither Polish nor Russian; she was Jewish and that was that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism