Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2024, 06:10 PM

17,661 posts, read 13,451,172 times

Advertisements

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/h...ssover-message
Quote:
With Hamas still holding Israeli hostages and global antisemitism rampant, as Jewish families sit down to read the Passover Haggadah this year on Monday evening, April 22, the passage “in every generation, there are those who rise up to destroy us” will no doubt be particularly resonant. While most Jews are aware that the phrase—like the phenomenon of Jew-hatred it describes—is centuries old, few fully appreciate the role the Passover story has played in offering Americans of all backgrounds comfort and inspiration during difficult times. The Haggadah, in fact, has long been America’s guidebook for liberty.

At 5 p.m. on March 26, 1945, in Washington, D.C., Vice President Harry S. Truman addressed the annual Passover service at the Jewish Welfare Board during WWII. The speech, broadcast to the Jewish men and women in the Armed Forces, praised both the miracle of Jewish historical survival and the contributions of Judaism to the West. It encapsulates how the story of the Exodus has left an indelible imprint on the American consciousness.
An incredible speech by an incredible President. Give em Hell Harry was the right person at the right time

Great article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 12:59 AM

269 posts, read 262,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
An incredible speech by an incredible President. Give em Hell Harry was the right person at the right time.
Absolutely.

Old 04-30-2024, 03:10 AM

4,234 posts, read 2,546,640 times
The funny thing about Truman is that in private he was racist and he slurred Jews. But he realized his private prejudices were not good for the Republic the world.

In 2003, the Truman Presidential Museum and Library released entries from his 1947 diary entries. He wrote Jews "I find are very, very selfish. They care not how many Estonians, Latvians, Finns, Poles, Yugoslavs or Greeks get murdered or mistreated..."

He was no saint; but a man who was able to look at himself and in a way step beyond himself for the greater good.

Images and a transcription of all the entries in Truman's 1947 diary are available on the Truman Presidential Museum & Library's web site, www.trumanlibrary.org.

Truman by David McCullough was released before these entires were known. It still remains however a great bio.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:27 PM

17,661 posts, read 13,451,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
The funny thing about Truman is that in private he was racist and he slurred Jews. But he realized his private prejudices were not good for the Republic the world. .
Harry and Bess: Never in My House

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/harr...r-in-my-house/

Quote:
Harry Truman was a “mild” anti-Semite. In his diary, he wrote an entry on July 21, 1947:
Harry's business partner in the haberdashery was Jewish. Bess wouldn't let him, or ant Jew, in the house. Harry met with him on the porch.

Quote:
However, strange as it seems, Harry Truman was more sympathetic to the creation of a Jewish state than was his State Department and, in particular, his Secretary of State, George Marshall. When he gave recognition to the new State of Israel in 1948, George Marshall resigned in protest.

Last edited by mike1003; 04-30-2024 at 06:41 PM..

Old 05-02-2024, 02:21 AM

23,253 posts, read 10,531,252 times
I think it was Truman who said," If a handful of Jews can survive surrounded by enemies on every side, by God we should let them try.,"

Old 05-07-2024, 07:41 PM

4,234 posts, read 2,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I think it was Truman who said," If a handful of Jews can survive surrounded by enemies on every side, by God we should let them try.,"
Alas, seems a false attribution. One of the most detailed insight into Truman's decision to recognize Israel is in The first chapter of Clark Clifford's book Counsel to the President; it is not there nor in Truman's letters and diary.

Old Today, 04:10 PM

23,253 posts, read 10,531,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Alas, seems a false attribution. One of the most detailed insight into Truman's decision to recognize Israel is in The first chapter of Clark Clifford's book Counsel to the President; it is not there nor in Truman's letters and diary.
Thanks a lot for correcting me if I am really wrong, I don't know where I picked up that quote so many years ago, no doubt it was in a book, just cant remember which one.
I remember it wasnt something he said publically so it may be suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism