Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Why do Ashkenazis have to allow Sephards in their synagogue?
The better question is "why shouldn't they?"

Quote:
Or even worse, imagine Ashkenzis going to the same temple as Falashas! Oy vey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 10:03 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
For many of us that don't know what Ashkenazis and Sephards are, can you enlighten us? Instead of googling these names thought I'd get it straight from the horses mouth. Thanks! If horse isn't kosher, sorry for the reference.
Ashkenazim are Jews from Eastern/Central Europe, while Sephardim are from Spain/Portugal/Iberia. These are two groups of Jews that had developed somewhat differently culturally. Yiddish is the language of Ashkenazim, while ladino is the language of the Sphardim.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Ashkenazim are Jews from Eastern/Central Europe, while Sephardim are from Spain/Portugal/Iberia. These are two groups of Jews that had developed somewhat differently culturally. Yiddish is the language of Ashkenazim, while ladino is the language of the Sphardim.

Yes that's the truth of the matter. Many of the "sefarditas" found in Turkey and Bulgaria etc are those who left or rather were exiled from the Iberian peninsula in 1492+. But one thing is certain, that these people have greatly contributed culturally to the areas from which they come.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:52 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Waaaay old thread being dragged up here, but for the record - my Synagogues have all been welcoming to Sephardim. My childhood Temple had a separate Shabbat worship for Sephardim, but many of them also joined our services... including my "godparents" and a few family friends. I think we can ignore this thread now, considering the OP is no longer a member.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:34 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Waaaay old thread being dragged up here, but for the record - my Synagogues have all been welcoming to Sephardim. My childhood Temple had a separate Shabbat worship for Sephardim, but many of them also joined our services... including my "godparents" and a few family friends. I think we can ignore this thread now, considering the OP is no longer a member.
The truth is that I have never heard of a rift between the Ashkenazi and the Sephards. Is there any truth to that at all?

Old 06-22-2008, 01:00 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
The truth is that I have never heard of a rift between the Ashkenazi and the Sephards. Is there any truth to that at all?
Some Ashkenazis consider themselves superior to Sephardis on account of their "eurocentric" culture.

Here in Los Angeles I've also come across some Persian Jews who have told me that they would not have anything to do with Jews from say, Yemen, Morroco, or Turkey.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:24 AM

8 posts, read 6,197 times
My synagogue is almost entirely white, but there is one black member. As for Ashkenazi-Sephardic, our synagogue is almost entirely Ashkenazi but the rabbi is Sephardic, and she incorporates some Sephardic tunes into the service occasionally, but it’s definately conducted in the typical American-Ashkenazi manner.

Last edited by BenfromCT; 02-24-2019 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: I wanted to remove extraneous details.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:20 PM

584 posts, read 597,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
The better question is "why shouldn't they?"
Actually, the bettor question is: "Why feed the troll?"

Old 08-26-2023, 10:57 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
I know that this is a very old thread.

Our synagogue in Cincinnati (Conservative leaning toward Orthodox -Conservadox) is about 50.50 Ashkenazi-Sephardic

I wish I grew up Sephardic during Pesach

Old 08-27-2023, 05:39 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,506,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Never noticed it down here, but perhaps that is a luxury of those with larger Jewish communities. When it's a small community, everything has to be merged into one as best one can.

During the 1950's, synagogues were being bombed; not sure if it mattered which tradition; the same in 2017 in Charlottesville which has a diverse congregation.

Here it is more about those who are southern and trace their roots 100, 200 or more years and those new comers. (There is always an "in" and "out" group.) Pecans in charoset (with bourbon added for adults); collards for Passover; cow brains substituted for the traditional southern recipe of pork brains in fried brains and eggs. (My cousin who is a leader in the Orthodox community sneaks ham biscuits; it was a bit of an upset when my aunt got a job at Smithfield hams a long time ago.) And then why are members of the Chinese community buried in some old Jewish cemeteries? (For the reason, read the book mentioned below.)

https://www.jewishsouth.org.
Wandering Dixie Dispatches from the Lost Jewish South by Eisenfeld

Last edited by webster; 08-27-2023 at 05:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism