Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

What in the world is a duckwalls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:57 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,623 times
Its more or less, a retail store many small towns in kansas have/had.. It was a nice little place to go to shop if you only needed a few things in a small town, now that will be lost in these cities, and jobs will be lost

Old 11-29-2010, 04:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
That does suck. Do those towns have walmarts?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:20 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
While the state of Kansas continues to focus on JOCO, and how to grow it.. (and not doing that great since basically all the state's efforts are confined to that anymore)

Look at the latest economic news from Kansas, in the parts I've known for years..

Duckwalls To Close 20 Stores In Kansas
You can't blame this on KS.

I'm quite familiar with many of the towns listed too. People from Lacrosse and Plainville for example probably shop much more frequently at the Super-Walmart in Hays on the weekends.

Maybe stop in to pick a few things here and there at the local Duckwall's, but not enough to keep the store in business with folks stocking up at Walmart just 20 miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What in the world is a duckwalls?
Thought you said you knew Kansas

Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM

I can blame Wal-Mart itself, but thats a debate not really relating to Kansas.. But if any corporation is evil, it is Wal-Mart.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I can blame Wal-Mart itself, but thats a debate not really relating to Kansas.. But if any corporation is evil, it is Wal-Mart.
Hmm, well your post seemed to indicate that KS was to blame and should be doing (or should have done) something to prevent this.

If that wasn't your point, then nevermind. But then I'm left wondering why you posted it in this thread. Oh well ... carry on ...

Old 11-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Kansas is to blame too... there is plenty of blame to go around

Old 11-29-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Kansas is to blame too... there is plenty of blame to go around
How is Kansas to blame?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^I think his point was that while Kansas has been focusing all their energy on JoCo, the rest of the state has been left to rot. I'm not certain that this is the major force behind Duckwall's closing, but I can tell you, if I were a Wichita or Manhattan resident I would be livid with my state. Giving out a crapload of corporate welfare for something they're seeing literally no benefit from? That would certainly rub me the wrong way.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^I think his point was that while Kansas has been focusing all their energy on JoCo, the rest of the state has been left to rot. I'm not certain that this is the major force behind Duckwall's closing, but I can tell you, if I were a Wichita or Manhattan resident I would be livid with my state. Giving out a crapload of corporate welfare for something they're seeing literally no benefit from? That would certainly rub me the wrong way.
Hmm, well, we certainly have different perspectives on this issue. (And FWIW, I did not grow up in JoCo, I was raised in Western KS. I've spent most of my life in KS and have family and friends all over the state in a variety of industries: blue collar, white collar, ag , etc.)

I disagree that the rest of the state has been "left to rot". Farming has become much more corporate and required significantly fewer resources than it did even just a few decades ago. This is not KS' fault. It's happening in ag regions all over. It's just the way it is. Consequently, the little farm towns that speckled the state are aging and fading.

I don't think it would make sense (and frankly I'd be livid with KS if they tried) to preserve every little community with resources better spent elsewhere that have a chance of being an "investment."

The major force behind the Duckwall's closings is Wal-Mart.

Now, is there more that could be done for Wichita or Manhattan? I'm not sure about that. Maybe, but building and other blue collar industries are not doing so hot right now and haven't been for several years now. This also is not unique to KS. So it would be pretty tough to try to entice a manufacturing plant to Wichita from anywhere right now. Most of them are just trying to hold on where ever they are and are looking for ways to get leaner.

Attracting white collar jobs to any part of KS other than the KC area is also pretty tough. Without a decent airport (and yes MCI is a decent airport) and other critical-mass amenities nearby, white collar business just don't have much interest in an otherwise ag state. Again, this is not something KS can be blamed for. It's just the way it is.

So again, I'd be pretty ticked off if KS went off chasing rainbows (pun intended) when the best payback bets are still in JoCo right now. This doesn't mean that the rest of the state is "rotting".

I also disagree that KS sees no benefit from the investments made in JoCo. Of course they do, or they wouldn't do it.

Now, all that said, I don't claim that KS has it all figured out and that there might not be room for improvement. There is always room for improvement. KS is a big state and there are lots of possibilities. We should be looking at all of them.

But to blame KS for Wal-Mart moving in and pushing Duck's out? I can't see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City