Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 07:05 PM

320 posts, read 310,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
True confessions time- the fancy uniform is adorning Chief of Police Larry Cook. The photo is in the front yard of the current Police HQ, at the groundbreaking ceremony in 1972 or 3.
Lawrence "Larry" Lee Cook Obituary
Date of Birth:
Thursday, January 20th, 1938
Date of Death:
Tuesday, October 30th, 2012
Funeral Home:
Speaks Family Legacy Chapels
Speaks Family Legacy Chapels - Independence MO
18020 E. 39th St.
Independence, Missouri, UNITED STATES
Obituary:
Larry Cook, 74, of Independence, MO passed away on October 30, 2012 at Rosewood Health Center in Independence, after a long and courageous battle with pulmonary fibrosis. A visitation will take place from 12:30- 2:00 p.m. with a 2:00 p.m. service on Saturday, November 3, 2012, at First Baptist Lee’s Summit; 2 NE Douglas St., Lee’s Summit, MO 64063. Burial will follow at Oak Grove Cemetery, Oak Grove MO. Larry was born on January 20, 1938 in Kansas City, MO. Throughout his life he served the public through his work with the Independence Police Department, both as an officer and as the former Chief of Police. Larry is survived by his wife of 47 years, Judy Cook; sons Mike and Stephen Cook; siblings, David, Connie, Timothy, and Cathy; sister-in-law, Carol; grandchildren, Susan, Cheyenne, Zane, and Sloan; one great-grandchild, Camryn; best friend, Jim Dietrich; and dear friend Lily Bessenbacher. Donations in Larry’s name can be made to The American Lung Association. “Absence makes the heart grow fonder.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 11:12 PM

239 posts, read 257,416 times
Okay thanks!

Merry Christmas everyone!! Hope everyone's Christmas went well. The weather here is going to start turning cold soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Probably sometime in the seventies.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:14 PM

239 posts, read 257,416 times
I've heard about the condos on the north side of Truman. I heard from someone they will be "very expensive" but I don't know for certain.

Pretty sure what is currently the Bank of America building/First National Bank is going to be turned into a hotel or condominium.

Quote:
I saw in the Examiner yesterday that condos will be built on the north side of Truman between Liberty and Main. I was surprised that the city gave the land to the builder but I guess that is no different than providing reduced taxes for a few years in return for a business development.

Looks like there will be enough room to fit six two story condos facing Truman with parking and such in the back.

I also saw that the owner of the emptying "First National Bank" building wants to strip the facade from the building down to the original brick and is also thinking of making it a hotel. I am in favor of leaving the facade the way it is, chuckle. The old combination brick/"granite" facade just does not work for me.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:48 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
From today's Examiner:

The Moody Ford agency [607 w Lexington] became the Jerry Hays Ford agency. Dwight L. Moody, president of the corporation that has operated the agency since February 1947, announced the sale. Jerry Hays has operated the Ford agency in Lee’s Summit for the past two years.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:03 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
What building in Independence was dedicated on July 6, 1957?

Old 12-27-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
What building in Independence was dedicated on July 6, 1957?
Truman Library, natch.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:51 AM

Independence was not Truman’s first choice for his library.

He initially wanted it in Grandview on the family farm. Apparently his relatives objected, plus it was isolated at the time.

Then he was thinking of a site in Kansas City.

Then he wanted it on the land that is more or less where the old Campus and the LDS visitors center are now. The RLDS church was willing to listen but the LDS church said, "no way."

Then the city donated the majority of land in Slover Park for the site, where it was built.

The cost of $1,750,000 to build the library is apparently the official figure for the library.

However, I recall from my old feeble memory that figure was inflated to make the amount more impressive. My memory says the actual construction cost was less than or slightly over $1m and I seem to remember the “value” of the artifacts placed inside were added to give it a higher value. I never did understand that thinking but it apparently never became part of history as all the web sites give the $1.75m figure.

There was a $310,000 addition in 1968, a $2.8m renovation in 1980, and a $22.5m renovation in 2000 according to library statistics.

I also recall that at one time the Truman Library was promoted as the first presidential library. And, it was the first library built under the Presidential Libraries Act, but then someone apparently remembered the Roosevelt Library on which construction was finished in 1940, four years before he died—or left office. So, it became the first.

Then, someone got the idea that Herbert Hoover should have a library, which opened in 1962, two years before his death, thus making two presidents before Truman as having a library.

You folks in Independence only have to travel 165 miles west or 317 miles north or 427 miles south to visit three other presidential libraries.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:57 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Truman Library, natch.
Indeed!

Old 12-27-2015, 07:24 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
You folks in Independence only have to travel 165 miles west or 317 miles north or 427 miles south to visit three other presidential libraries.[/quote]

Or me, only about twelve miles. Or walk there from church

Old 12-27-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
You folks in Independence only have to travel 165 miles west or 317 miles north or 427 miles south to visit three other presidential libraries.

Or me, only about twelve miles. Or walk there from church[/quote]

Eh, you need only go twelve miles to see three other presidential libraries? chuckle

The question is: Have you been through the one you are talking about?

There are folks who have lived in Independence all their lives and have not been in the Truman Library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City