Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 04:19 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Although he is buried at Hill Park, I was not aware that Frank James actually lived in or near Independence except for his six month incarceration in the old jail.

Perhaps his residence was near what is now Hill Park.
His wife was Ann Ralston, and he is buried in the Ralston family cemetery. The Ralston homestead was in the area of Hill Park, but I can't find an exact location at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 04:31 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
His wife was Ann Ralston, and he is buried in the Ralston family cemetery. The Ralston homestead was in the area of Hill Park, but I can't find an exact location at the moment.
2121 S Sterling was the Ralston home.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:15 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

I presume this family was responsible for Ralston St which runs into Raytown ?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I presume this family was responsible for Ralston St which runs into Raytown ?

Could be.

Ralston starts off Kentucky Avenue in Sugar Creek and runs intermittently south parallel to Sterling by about five blocks.

Ralston runs right past the cemetery in Hill Park where Frank James is buried. The cemetery is directly west of the Ralston place on Sterling.

The same Ralston runs intermittently into Raytown south of 40 highway goes to Wildwood Lake and then further south.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Okay, folks, where was the Parish Diary? I know some schoolmates named Parish but do not recall a dairy.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:48 PM

There was a time when motorists would have vacation destination decals like these pasted on their car windows to advertise the places they had been--some people seemed to try to out do anyone else.

In the mid fifties, an uncle living in Kansas had the two rear passenger windows on his 1952 Ford entirely covered with decals like this. It was a hobby for him--at least until he traded.

I don't even know if they still make glue based decals like this that had to be submerged in water before application. We used them extensively in Scout projects and in models. The fresher the decal the better it applied to a surface. Sometimes after taking out of the water, it would simply disintegrate.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
There was a time when motorists would have vacation destination decals like these pasted on their car windows to advertise the places they had been--some people seemed to try to out do anyone else.

In the mid fifties, an uncle living in Kansas had the two rear passenger windows on his 1952 Ford entirely covered with decals like this. It was a hobby for him--at least until he traded.

I don't even know if they still make glue based decals like this that had to be submerged in water before application. We used them extensively in Scout projects and in models. The fresher the decal the better it applied to a surface. Sometimes after taking out of the water, it would simply disintegrate.
I remember those. They were kind of interesting even if it was about keeping up with the Joneses

Today they've been replaced with kids' names and their school sport or band instrument.

Or Baby on Board

Old 11-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I remember those. They were kind of interesting even if it was about keeping up with the Joneses

Today they've been replaced with kids' names and their school sport or band instrument.

Or Baby on Board
My folks did not get a car until 1951. Prior to that time my dad walked up to our street corner and took the bus to work at A&P (also Milgram's) on the Square and then rode home after work. If it was good weather, my sister and I would sit on our front porch and we could see the bus come to a stop at the corner. Then we would run up the street and walk him home.

At any rate, my mom would not allow those decals on the car windows and she would not allow bumper stickers of any kind. The only kind she would allow was the "city sticker" that had to be displayed on one side or the other of the windshield. Bumper stickers were not yet perfected back then but some cars would sport them although not many. In those days it seemed like nothing would harm those car bumpers, unlike nowadays.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Okay, folks, where was the Parish Diary? I know some schoolmates named Parish but do not recall a dairy.

I looked way back to no avail. In fact, very few "parish" entries for individuals

There was a Paschall Dairy on Courtney Rd. I do remember that

Old 11-27-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I looked way back to no avail. In fact, very few "parish" entries for individuals

There was a Paschall Dairy on Courtney Rd. I do remember that
I have also heard of a Paschall Truck Line in Independence. I don't remember a Paschall in school.

But now that I think about it, the school mates I recall were not named Parish but were named Paris. (big difference, chuckle.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City