Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 08:15 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Other progressive events from that year include:

The erection of the Y.M.C.A. Building

Electric lights

Eden Park

Well, I lived in Eden Park, so I will say 1901.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:30 AM

6 posts, read 8,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Have a good Thanksgiving everyone. Wild turkeys are supposed to be prolific in many places nowadays. Was just wondering if there were any wild turkeys anywhere within the city limits or near to it in Independence.
There is a rafter (had to look that one up) of turkeys that hang out along M291 just North of 39th St. They will be anywhere from there all the way East along the railroad right-of-way to the Little Blue River. I've seen as many as 30 in one rafter.

I was also sad to see an injured deer in the middle of M291 last night, just crouched there in the middle of one of the lanes. Doesn't bother me to see them dead or whatnot, but injured... Luckily a cop was there blocking the lane with his spotlight on her. She probably doesn't have much of a future, especially when our finest can't even tolerate cement alligators

U.S. police shoot fake alligator | Reuters

Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskyvet View Post
There is a rafter (had to look that one up) of turkeys that hang out along M291 just North of 39th St. They will be anywhere from there all the way East along the railroad right-of-way to the Little Blue River. I've seen as many as 30 in one rafter.

I was also sad to see an injured deer in the middle of M291 last night, just crouched there in the middle of one of the lanes. Doesn't bother me to see them dead or whatnot, but injured... Luckily a cop was there blocking the lane with his spotlight on her. She probably doesn't have much of a future, especially when our finest can't even tolerate cement alligators

U.S. police shoot fake alligator | Reuters

I recall seeing that about the Independence police shooting the concrete alligator in the local paper here in Colorado.

Believe it or not, this photo shows a few of the 400 plus alligators in Colorado living outdoors year round just north of US 160 in a place called Mosca, which is near the Great Sand Dunes National Park. The alligators live at 7,500 feet elevation or about 2,500 feet higher than Denver. The water is from thermal springs and all of the alligators are fenced in. The alligators act as garbage disposers for a commercial fish growing and processing farm.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:17 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Well, I lived in Eden Park, so I will say 1901.
Close, but not close enough! The clue probably refers to the beginning of Eden Park, perhaps when it was platted.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Close, but not close enough! The clue probably refers to the beginning of Eden Park, perhaps when it was platted.
An alternative would be 1887.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
An alternative would be 1887.
Close enough to 1888 to declare you the winner!

Other notables from that year included the new Presbyterian Church, the Latter Day Saints church, grading of the streets, the Court House Annex, and several hundred new residences (many of which are of the most elegant character).

All of this information was found in the introduction to the first Independence telephone directory published in 1889.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:00 AM

We did not have "paved" roads in Eden Park subdivision when I was growing up. We had chip and seal roads, which is technically considered paving, although there would be a lot of argument about that from the then local residents. The process involves grading, oiling and chip rocking. Much better than dirt or gravel but no where near asphalt.

Paving of the streets in Eden Park with asphalt came years later.

Does anyone know if there are any dirt roads, any gravel roads, or any chip and seal roads left within the city limits of Independence? Or, within Jackson County for that matter?

Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Independence did not operate an electric generating plant until 1901 when bonds were passed for the Dodgion Street plant.

The city had some street lights at the end of the 1880s, presumably using Westinghouse's AC rather than Edison's DC.

Where did the electricity come from?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:22 PM

In 1963, the city of Independence conducted a special census at a significant cost for the time. This may have been the only time in city history that this happened.

What was the purpose of this special census?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:55 PM

The 1960 federal census showed 34 outhouses in the city of Independence, including one across the street from where I lived.

Without a doubt, those privies would be gone by now and I would suspect there might even be an ordinance against having one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City