Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 11:33 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

I have mentioned this little bitty mom & pop store a number of times: FRED CREED Crane & Hayward.

A July 2, 1953, Kansas City Times has the store's name in an advertisement for Armour franks with the "big boy" advertisers of the time. Right next to his name was the name of Charlie's Market in Fairmount where I use to work.

Clarence and Jerry's United Super Market at Kiger and Alton was not mentioned as it was not yet in existence in 1953.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
[quote=WCHS'59;40300626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

Do you recall if Doug DeTray had a sister named Janet? She was in the class of '59.

Quite possibly. I'm sure you will recognize many of these names:

50 years ago - Jan. 17-23, 1959
  • The following items were taken from the Jan. 17 through 23, 1959, Examiner.

• Posted Jan. 24, 2009 at 12:01 AM
    Updated Jan 24, 2009 at 6:36 AM

Eastern Jackson County, MO
    The following items were taken from the Jan. 17 through 23, 1959, Examiner.
    Cadet First Lt. Jack Gagliardi has been selected cadet of the week for the Corps of Cadets at William Chrisman High School. Gagliardi, platoon leader in “B” Company, is in his third year of R.O.T.C. and is a member of the rifle team. Upon graduation, he hopes to attend the Air Force Academy in Colorado. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Hug Gagliardi of 31st and Santa Fe Road.
    –––
    Douglas DeTray, 8, and Jerry Vaughan, 9, will appear as children in the Chrisman senior class play, “Life With Father.” Ed Lee is cast in the role of father. Other seniors in the cast are Janice DeTray, J.D. Williamson, Garth Resch, Bill Fligg, Sally Jo Ireland, Jackie Huggins, Janet Vaughan, George Hickerson, Jerry Parks, Alan Guy, Sue Childers, Judy Oberhelman, Linda Wagener, Carmen Jones and Donnis Graham.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:41 PM

[quote=MRG Dallas;40302070]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Quite possibly. I'm sure you will recognize many of these names:

50 years ago - Jan. 17-23, 1959
  • The following items were taken from the Jan. 17 through 23, 1959, Examiner.
  • Posted Jan. 24, 2009 at 12:01 AM
    Updated Jan 24, 2009 at 6:36 AM

Eastern Jackson County, MO
    The following items were taken from the Jan. 17 through 23, 1959, Examiner.
    Cadet First Lt. Jack Gagliardi has been selected cadet of the week for the Corps of Cadets at William Chrisman High School. Gagliardi, platoon leader in “B” Company, is in his third year of R.O.T.C. and is a member of the rifle team. Upon graduation, he hopes to attend the Air Force Academy in Colorado. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Hug Gagliardi of 31st and Santa Fe Road.
    –––
    Douglas DeTray, 8, and Jerry Vaughan, 9, will appear as children in the Chrisman senior class play, “Life With Father.” Ed Lee is cast in the role of father. Other seniors in the cast are Janice DeTray, J.D. Williamson, Garth Resch, Bill Fligg, Sally Jo Ireland, Jackie Huggins, Janet Vaughan, George Hickerson, Jerry Parks, Alan Guy, Sue Childers, Judy Oberhelman, Linda Wagener, Carmen Jones and Donnis Graham.
Hey, a walk down memory lane, chuckle.

Yes, I knew all of them. I wonder if Jack Gagliardi ever made it to the Air Force Academy?

Once graduated, I never saw many of them ever again. I did date Carmen Jones after graduation, though.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
What is Rost Chevrolet is on the 63 aerial with the rails crossing 24 going just east of the dealership and then going down by the lake.

I noticed on the Google current day aerial that there has been some serious building razing on 24 at Ash. There was a brick Gilmor Building at that location before but I dont recall what was in there when I lived for a short time in that area.

Chuckle, the Calico Cat is still there to the east of that location.

Update: Looks like Truman Medical Center is building a medical facility of some type there at 24 and Ash. And they may eventually build on that entire block that includes the Calico Cat--according to an Independence City Council ordinance of November 2013.
A few years later that became Browning Chevrolet. Used cars were sold on the north side of 24 Highway between Ash & Hardy.

The Calico Cat did burn a few years back, along with some neighboring buildings. That accounts for a chunk of the open area. The CC returned in a new building. TMC is opening a medical clinic to serve that part of town abandoned by HCA when they closed the San.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
A few years later that became Browning Chevrolet. Used cars were sold on the north side of 24 Highway between Ash & Hardy.

The Calico Cat did burn a few years back, along with some neighboring buildings. That accounts for a chunk of the open area. The CC returned in a new building. TMC is opening a medical clinic to serve that part of town abandoned by HCA when they closed the San.
I think the bright lights mentioned earlier came from the used car lot.

It looks like the Calico Cat is gone based on further review of the aerial Google Earth. Difficult to tell, though. For this area, the difference between the aerial view and the ground view on Google Maps is four years. Bing still has the old buildings at 24 and Ash.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:57 PM

Here is a Sanborn map--a poor one at that--showing a single rail crossing north to south at an angle on Highway 24 with Rost Chevrolet the pink building at the left. The single rail splits into double track. It was double track for a way but I cannot remember if one of these tracks was a spur or a siding.

In the second map, there is an eastbound spur and a westbound spur along Cedar Avenue, either of which or maybe even both could have held the Heart of America Railway Museum.

I thought there was one more track crossing in the immediate area of the Chevrolet dealer, but guess not. I may be thinking of when I crossed two tracks on Hutting at Cedar to get to 24.

A single north-south rail crossed US 24 two or three blocks east of the Chevrolet dealer at about Harris Street. This line was once the Maywood & Sugar Creek Railroad.

Double north-south track went under a bridge on US 24 three to five blocks west of the Chevrolet Dealer.

All the tracks are now gone except the double tracks that go under the bridge on 24.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:37 AM

The 1917 map of that area. Notice that what we know as Winner Road is listed as street car right of way. Crisp Lake is not there yet, but the lake for Fairmount Park is. Later the RR would add another track just south of that lake forming a sort of triangle.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:06 PM

Harold Ensley was a radio and television personality, outdoor sports television pioneer, professional fisherman, outdoorsman, and noted fishing lure designer.

In 2005, he died at 102 years in Overland Park.

For many years, beginning in 1953 he was host of the fishing and outdoor sports television show The Sportman’s Friend on Kansas City television.

However, prior to The Sportman’s Friend he pioneered a program called “The Fisherman’s Friend.”

What station was “The Fisherman’s Friend” broadcast on?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:59 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Ironically, just looked him up the other day when a friend sent an email that said "gone fishin'"

KCMO Ch. 5 was The Sportsman's Friend . . .so I suspect this is a trick question

Who was his big local sponsor on TSF?

Old 07-09-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchs'59 View Post
harold ensley was a radio and television personality, outdoor sports television pioneer, professional fisherman, outdoorsman, and noted fishing lure designer.

In 2005, he died at 102 years in overland park.

For many years, beginning in 1953 he was host of the fishing and outdoor sports television show the sportman’s friend on kansas city television.

However, prior to the sportman’s friend he pioneered a program called “the fisherman’s friend.”

what station was “the fisherman’s friend” broadcast on?
klds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City