Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
I'm going to bring up your negativity about the KC metro area in a thread that is about others recognizing KC, because it is relevant. Obviously, your myopic point of view that KC is struggling mightily due to no-pride-in-the-city-having Kansas suburbanites is not a view shared by the writers at Frommer's. Thankfully, they don't read this forum. Because if they did, they would not have chosen KC. They would have been soured by your constant negativity.

25 years active in the KC community, but I know from reading you that you didn't start bashing Kansas until you had a job in some office park in Overland Park for a few months/years in the 2000s.

If you can find the data, you should look up private spending from Johnson County to Kansas City, Missouri. Look at where the big money comes from to support institutions in the city, the plaza, downtown, midtown. I bet you would find that Johnson County residents contribute more money and support to the major institutions in the city than any other part of the metro. I just despise your viewpoint that residents on the Kansas side don't have pride in the city or don't support the city. I think it is complete malarkey and is not backed up by the facts.

Another data point you could look into is migration between Kansas City, Missouri and Johnson County going back to the post-war era. You will see that a large percentage of Kansas suburbanites were themselves Kansas City, Missourians with deep roots in the city and have pride in the city because that's where their ancestors came from. Same thing as St. Louis county residents having roots in STL city. But for some reason, you like to think that Johnson County residents are mostly from rural Kansas, which is not backed up by the facts. It was mostly city residents who moved to JoCo.

You wonder why I bring this up, it's because you are spreading non-sense constantly. Stop spreading non-sense and I won't bring it up. You are hard-headed as well, and anything that I say you act like you didn't hear it. Look up those two data points. Seriously, look them up. Private spending from Johnson County residents supporting city institutions and how many Johnson County residents have family roots in the city. You should be ashamed with your constant droning on about how people on the Kansas side don't support the city. Some of the city's most generous philanthropists live on the Kansas side.
Great and some live on the MO side too. So I guess KCMO, Jackson County, Northland etc are now all excused and may stop contributing via taxes to regional issues and start inflicting harm on the city's core by poaching. Let's stop all the existing taxes now (stadiums, convention center, museums, arena etc) and then let's throw 60 millions bucks at Hallmark and move them to 470 and Woods Chappel!!!

Now, first off, you need to take a step back and look at my posts again. There are two very different types of posts. I will praise KC and yet I'm not afraid to also discuss KC's downfalls. Look at the sticky post at the top of this thread, the one you chose to jump into and steer into the same direction as this thread because I didn't say enough about Kansas side attractions which is silly because nearly everything KC is known for or nearly everything people come to KC for is on the MO side. And look around this entire city-data forum. You will find me showing off KC all over the place. Do you really need links?

I never said people in JoCo don't give to KCMO venues and organizations. Don't put words in my mouth. Johnson County is the second largest county in metro kc with a population that is quickly approaching 3/4 of a million people. KC and JoCo are WAY beyond the days of kcmo migration to joco. This is not about Prairie Village or Mission, but places like Olathe which by itself has a population that exceeds all of NE JoCo and places like Olathe, Overland Park, Lenexa, Shawnee, Leawood etc are the ones that drive county and state politics. They are the ones that ask the state to help them steal a kcmo company and they are the ones that refuse to work with any other county or city in the metro on regional issues like transit and culture and stadia. Why is JoCo not a part of the upcoming zoo tax with jackson and clay? How is the zoo any more important to people in Liberty than to people in Leawood? Why should people 25 miles away pay for the zoo so the wealthy people of Leawood that live ten minutes away get a nice zoo? Because of the state line which YOU like to call imaginary? None of it makes any sense.

JoCo is a major part of KC, but it doesn't act like it. Despite the people that do give and care about kcmo and its culture and venues, that is just not enough. There are people that do the same and live in the Northland or Lee's Summit or Brookside, yet those areas as a whole are still working with kcmo more than against it.

How in the world can you justify KS constantly giving tens of millions to steal kcmo companies from urban areas and throw them in office parks? Why are you okay with the county closest to most of kcmo's cultural assets (and possibly benefiting the most) providing the least amount of revenue to maintain them? Why do your leaders refuse to even come to the table with jackson county and other leaders to figure out how to deal with transit or stadiums or the zoo? Even going as far as going to topeka to attempt to pass laws to prohibit such bistate cooperation from even being an option. You know this zoo tax is another example. This could be a great way to not only improve the KC Zoo for the entire metro area, but also improve the Deanna Rose Farmstead in OP. But that would never happen because JoCo doesn't want to see more money leave the county then stay in it (which is the primary point regional taxes, just ask St Louis County or any county around Denver) and JoCo doesn't want anybody from MO screwing up the farmstead! I mean you know if something does go wrong it would KCMO's fault! I love how JoCo's Steve Rose put the union station blame on kcmo even though kcmo had NOTHING to do with science city or union station. Funny thing is, Clay County would probably pass the tax and they won't get jack and they won't ask for jack other than some free zoo tickets.

And yea, I have spent decades in KC working with people from all over metro KC and whether I worked in Downtown or in OP, the vast majority of the kcmo hating crowd were from joco. That's my experience and you don't have to believe that and it really doesn't matter. What matters more is the other points I just made.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-27-2011 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
Yet another great thread destroyed by long winded rants of downerville.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:43 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^You know it was someone else entirely who started it, right? Let's put the blame on this one squarely where it belongs.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Kansas City isnt flat at all. I cannot really think of many places that you can find more than a 1/2 mile of flat space. It is basically all hills everywhere. It is the hilliest place I have ever been.

Contrary to popular believe, Kansas is not a flat state at all and Missouri definitely isnt. Kansas is the 22nd flattest state in the country.
On the whole, it's not particularly flat, like Louisiana, and not particularly not flat, like Nevada. But approximately half of Kansas is very flat, and the other half is just hilly.

I've never understood how flat landscapes became synonymous with ugliness in the common parlance, I don't think oceans are ugly and they're pretty flat, but obviously I'm in the minority.

I certainly think that "boring landscape" is probably the most ludicrous "first-world problem" I've ever heard of. They say there are no boring places, just boring travelers. The funny thing is, the worst **** talkers about places like Kansas and the midwest are not travelers at all, they are merely regurgitators, echo-chambermaids, and boring people.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 PM

398 posts, read 993,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Yet another great thread destroyed by long winded rants of downerville.
A thread cannot be "destroyed" by a few comments. I have been on this forum for a long time, and in that time I have learned one thing about our moderator here GraniteStater: he rarely, if ever, closes threads or tells people what to talk about. You are free to make your own comments and steer the discussion in any way that you like. And so long as you are making comments, this thread will stay at the top of the forum. Anyone is free to discuss Frommer's listing of Kansas City as one of the top 10 destinations for 2012. Nothing that I or anyone else has said is stopping anyone else from discussing the Frommer's listing.

The first 3/4ths of my first comment was about the Frommer's listing. People chose to ignore that and respond only to the last few sentences of what I wrote. Which I guess means that's what they were interested in and that's what they wanted to talk about. People are free to carry the conversation in any direction that they want to.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
People chose to ignore that and respond only to the last few sentences of what I wrote. Which I guess means that's what they were interested in and that's what they wanted to talk about. People are free to carry the conversation in any direction that they want to.
That's unbelieveably illogical. If one of three things you say is controversial (i.e. contains a personal, off-topic attack like yours!), of course it will be discussed more.

Here's an example:

The Cardinals sure won an epic game last night, eh?

All white people are racists.

I'm going to Houston this weekend to see my best friend!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 PM

398 posts, read 993,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That's unbelieveably illogical. If one of three things you say is controversial (i.e. contains a personal, off-topic attack like yours!), of course it will be discussed more.

Here's an example:

The Cardinals sure won an epic game last night, eh?

All white people are racists.

I'm going to Houston this weekend to see my best friend!
People can carry the conversation in any direction that they want. That's what I said. You have yet to make a single comment in this thread about Frommer's ranking Kansas City as one of the top 10 destinations for 2012. If you want to talk about the Frommer's ranking, go ahead and talk about it. I am not stopping you. You simply are not talking about it. You are not making any comments about it. Neither is xenokc. Aside from jaxontwinz, me, and recycled, no one in this thread has made any attempt whatsoever to discuss this ranking. You chose to discuss whether someone said KC is flat or not, and you chose to discuss an off-hand comment that I made about negativity in this forum. That's what you chose to discuss.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 AM

377 posts, read 569,867 times
Come on, guys, please don't hijack a thread that should be a celebration of greater recognition of KC.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:30 AM

377 posts, read 569,867 times
Personally, this doesn't surprise me. My family and I are still preparing to relocate from Washington state to KCMO as soon as we can sell our home, and when I tell people what our plans are, I'm still surprised at how many of them light up and say, "I LOVE Kansas City!" Then they tell me about their great time there, how beautiful they thought the city was, etc. As I encounter this more and more often, I'm realizing that KC may be one of those under-publicized gems, like Pittsburgh used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City