Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:02 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

I was playing with google maps in 3d mode and noticed this building in far south KCMO/Leawood. There has to be a reason for it since it's been there for a very long time, long before the area was developed. It's some sort of distribution center for Coors, so maybe they are using the place to get around liquor laws in MO vs KS.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.1...e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

Old gateway complex which was a team effort by KCMO/KCK to bring Gateway jobs in. Too bad they eventually failed. Notice the Kansas side of the complex doesn't appear to be in use. The MO side is being used by state government offices now.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.1...e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

So I wonder if a company can get PEAK incentives to move from one half a building to the other half???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:43 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Another "Missouri is wonderful; Kansas is bad" thread. You are so transparent.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:19 AM

29 posts, read 33,481 times
I noticed it was weird that the Quick trip on 31st and SW boulevard was in Missouri (liquor) but one or two of the pumps were in Kansas. Turns out it used to be the location of a saloon before the city had zoning laws in that area and it used to be a mafia hangout. When the police showed up everyone would move to the Missouri side.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 AM

638 posts, read 624,105 times
This forum is nothing more than KCMO vs Kansas nonsense. People see this and get the impression this is what everyday convo in the city is like, when its really just the same long fight between two posters

Old 04-22-2016, 09:20 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsgnd View Post
I noticed it was weird that the Quick trip on 31st and SW boulevard was in Missouri (liquor) but one or two of the pumps were in Kansas. Turns out it used to be the location of a saloon before the city had zoning laws in that area and it used to be a mafia hangout. When the police showed up everyone would move to the Missouri side.
I knew about that QT, but didn't know the history. Interesting! South of there, it appears there are houses where the state line runs through people's yards. I wonder how they do their taxes?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsgnd View Post
They actually recently rebuilt that quiktrip to move the entire store to the MO side. It used to be split down the middle and I think alcohol had to stay on one side of the store. The pumps are still split though. I'm assuming the the station is only collecting one gas tax though based on where the store is technically located, I don't know. MO gas taxes are lower, so I can't see them having two different prices.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:23 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
This forum is nothing more than KCMO vs Kansas nonsense. People see this and get the impression this is what everyday convo in the city is like, when its really just the same long fight between two posters
Not exactly.

There is one primary instigator and another who vigorously defends her state and county against the attacks that have been relentless for 9 long years. She is to be commended for it. And she is, by no means, the only regular here that feels that way and is fed up with it.

There is an offense and a defense in this sad scenario....with no ambiguity as to who is in which role.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:43 PM

638 posts, read 624,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Not exactly.

There is one primary instigator and another who vigorously defends her state and county against the attacks that have been relentless for 9 long years. She is to be commended for it. And she is, by no means, the only regular here that feels that way and is fed up with it.

There is an offense and a defense in this sad scenario....with no ambiguity as to who is in which role.
I've seen "attacks" from the other side as well. There are some things that are not binary, though it may be hard to imagine...

One poster attacked Missouri in numerous threads a few months ago. Pretty funny, but sad people get so bent out of shape.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Not exactly.

yea right, I have some of the most active and popular threads on this forum. When I don't post, the KC forum gets pretty slow pretty quickly. The vast majority of my posts are fine and are not in any way posted to start crap with anybody. I think the same goes for luzianne. Sure, we have VERY different opinions on a lot of stuff and will occasionally get testy with each other, but so what. We are adults.

This forum is no different than any other forum on city data. If anything, it's pretty mellow.

Once again what do YOU contribute? You are probably the single biggest "instigator" that offers nothing but fuel to either start a flame war or keep one going. Talk about offering nothing to the forum.

BTW, this thread was not started as any sort of anti KS thread. Good lord, If I wanted to do that, I would come up with something a whole lot better than this.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:24 PM

131 posts, read 185,025 times
On the Coors building it definitely seems like they're avoiding some KS liquor law or something by its layout or trying to take advantage of laws from both. It also looks like the "KS" side was added later. Its evident that they're using State Line road to the south as a marker check out the asphalt vs cement parking lot line and the line on the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City