Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaaiiieso View Post
Don't lie to them Troost is terrible. There's gunshots every other night if not every night. The folks who live around here are immune to it. There is more than just a few mental patients running loose on the streets. There is drug dealers and thugs. There's ladies of the night too. People walk around casing vehicles. There's plenty of cars just parked yet so many people walking. The area is terrible and the residents make it that way by condoning the horrendous behaviors. The police will respond but it never makes the morning news. The city doesn't care to improve the situations. Don't lie to new comers saying its ok. There's no profitable businesses in the area to make tourists come either. Stay on the plaza or go to KS. Everyone near Kansas City suburbs know this area is bad.
You obviously do not know what you're talking about. Troost has many successful businesses on it and more of them by the season. Stop fear mongering and just stay in whatever little hovel of a cul de sac you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 04:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
The poster you quoted made that one post in 2012, never to be heard from again. The stab he or she made at fearmongering was short-lived.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
Default Jfia

My daughter is going to Rockhurst U for first year. She tried an apartment near downtown but it's not working out. I am from out of state and trying to help her locate a new apartment. I'm wondering which areas within 30 minutes of Rockhurst would be best for a single female college student? I'm also taking into consideration her drive to and from school. I've read many posts about the area around the college, and East KC. We are not snobs, but definitely looking for a safe community for her to live in. I plan to visit and check out apartments. The areas we are considering so far are Shawnee, North KC, Overland Park, Lenexa, Mission. Blue Springs and Lee's Summit are on the list, but I think they may require her to drive through East KC to and from school, so I'm leaning towards something SW or North.

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated!

Old 08-25-2016, 02:51 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFIA View Post
My daughter is going to Rockhurst U for first year. She tried an apartment near downtown but it's not working out. I am from out of state and trying to help her locate a new apartment. I'm wondering which areas within 30 minutes of Rockhurst would be best for a single female college student? I'm also taking into consideration her drive to and from school. I've read many posts about the area around the college, and East KC. We are not snobs, but definitely looking for a safe community for her to live in. I plan to visit and check out apartments. The areas we are considering so far are Shawnee, North KC, Overland Park, Lenexa, Mission. Blue Springs and Lee's Summit are on the list, but I think they may require her to drive through East KC to and from school, so I'm leaning towards something SW or North.

Any of the suburbs you mentioned would be fine, but why drive from so far? I would look at South KC. Waldo, Brookside etc are nice, but almost entirely single family homes. The Plaza area may be too expensive but there are many modest places in the area in the west plaza area, along 47th etc. There are some decent apartment complexes in SKC along Wornall from 95th to south of 435.

If you do commute to Rockhurt, the main roads you would likely use to get there shouldn't be a huge safety concern. US-71, Volker, Blue Parkway, even Troost are safe for commuting.

I would try to find something in the Westport/Plaza/UMKC/Waldo/South KC (west of Holmes) or Kansas between state line and Nall or so.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:52 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
The area around the Kansas City Art Institute seems okay. The Zip is 64111. It borders the state line , Plaza, and the Nelson.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:40 PM

290 posts, read 346,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The area around the Kansas City Art Institute seems okay. The Zip is 64111. It borders the state line , Plaza, and the Nelson.
It usually is. There were a few robberies that occurred though this summer, yet they were in some secluded areas north of KCAI at late hours.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM

709 posts, read 1,493,044 times
Quote:

Wow. I get the whole concerned parent thing, but being afraid for your kid to even drive on a highway through east KC is going way overboard.

Actually, you may be on to something with the fear of driving. Your daughter is much more likely to be harmed or killed in a car accident driving in from these far flung burbs than she is from living around Rockhurst University.

Depending on your budget, I would suggest you look for an apartment around the Plaza.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:55 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,690 times
Quote:
The area just west of the plaza would be my recommendation -- between State Line and Summit, between 43d (Westport Road) and 51st or so. It's got a lower crime rate than the Plaza proper and Westport.

There are also apartments near KU Medical Center, which is at 39th and Rainbow -- just west of State Line Road. Lots of nurses rent around there.

If you are dead set on Johnson County, then Mission and Fairway are good options, but I think you will pay more over there.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:

Shawnee, North KC, Lenexa, Blue Springs and Lee's Summit are too far away. There aren't a lot of apartments in Prairie Village, but that would put her in a good, safe area without too much of a commute. I used to work on the Plaza and could make it in 15 minutes from Prairie Village - through Mission Hills, down Ward Parkway, and you're there.

In Overland Park/Leawood there are several newer apartment complexes in the area bordered by Mission Road on the east, Nall on the west, 435 on the south and 107th (or so) on the north.

What is your price range? Mission Farms is nice, but might be too expensive. But then you are probably paying a lot downtown.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:34 PM

14 posts, read 14,301 times
I am moving to Overland Park next year, and I have been reading the various threads about the Kansas City area. I keep seeing warnings to stay west of Troost, but I haven't seen any other boundaries. How big of an area are we talking about? My wife and I love to go on drives and walks, and if there is a rougher area we'd like to be aware of exactly where we need to be on our toes.

What are the north, east and south boundaries of this Troost area? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City