Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 03:47 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
What's your point? What do you propose?

Well, we can't just tear everything down and start all over, can we? We drove around yesterday and found a Farmer's Market downtown with a trolley stop pretty much attached. We were showing KC to our son, who's visiting.

Who knows of the most affordable apartment housing that is downtown - either near Crossroads, Farmer's Market or the Uptown Theater, for starters? He is thinking about staying put in KC and we'd all like some ideas about housing downtown. The safest, most afforddable place, coming from a parent, would be my choice.

Starter-size, studio or 1BR would all work.
This is a valid question, but completely out of place. I recommend starting a new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 04:52 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Who knows of the most affordable apartment housing that is downtown - either near Crossroads, Farmer's Market or the Uptown Theater, for starters? He is thinking about staying put in KC and we'd all like some ideas about housing downtown. The safest, most afforddable place, coming from a parent, would be my choice.

Starter-size, studio or 1BR would all work.
Don't know what you have in mind of "affordable," but if sub-$1000 for a studio is what you have in mind I would check out the following company:
For Rent - Kansas City Lofts, Condos and Apartments | KCLoftCentral

For example, a studio in this particular building starts at $950:
https://kcloftcentral.securecafe.com...loorplans.aspx

This company has even more affordable ones (though I think there are income restrictions):
Old Town Lofts :: Home

For example, the 1 bedroom apartments in this property near the River Market start at under $700:
Old Town Lofts :: CHASE LOFTS

Old 07-06-2017, 07:19 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
Don't know what you have in mind of "affordable," but if sub-$1000 for a studio is what you have in mind I would check out the following company:
For Rent - Kansas City Lofts, Condos and Apartments | KCLoftCentral

For example, a studio in this particular building starts at $950:
https://kcloftcentral.securecafe.com...loorplans.aspx

This company has even more affordable ones (though I think there are income restrictions):
Old Town Lofts :: Home

For example, the 1 bedroom apartments in this property near the River Market start at under $700:
Old Town Lofts :: CHASE LOFTS

James - Thank you. It's the kind of stuff I wanted to ask the locals about - my wife and I have only been here for 11 months. We rent a house in Grandview. Our son just got here the day before the 4th of July. Job hunting and then apartment hunting awaits him.

Moderator - I am out of line with this question and its something I'm attempting ta work on. My old Lead at Boeing in Everett used ta call me the 'King of Sequeway.'

Old 07-06-2017, 07:33 AM

654 posts, read 630,550 times
Unfortunately the trend in KC, as it seems to be in most medium to large cities across the country, is that crime is up in areas of the city that normally have crime, and crime is creeping into areas that in the past 10-15 years have been relatively crime free. It is an extremely bad trend and if it is not reversed will start causing people with means to do so, to leave the city. It is somewhat of a repeat of the crime increase of the 1960s' in a way, and could have the same disastrous
consequences for the city as the 1960's did if we can't get a handle on it.

The big question is what to do about it. NYC cleaned itself up in the 1990's-2000's with more aggressive policing, but I am not sure if that is on the table at this point.

From what I heard getting caught in KCMO is not exactly a petty criminals' nightmare , perhaps start there.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:04 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
KCMO doesn't control their police either, the state does via commission boards
KCMO.gov » History

state sets policy/budget for local cops here, so it's harder to make changes

Old 07-06-2017, 08:07 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
What's your point? What do you propose?
Obviously, my point is that crime is out of control. Just stating facts. How would I have anything to propose? But just ignoring it and pretending it doesn't exist isn't going to help. Obviously no one has a solution or it would have already been taken care of.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:43 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
Obviously, my point is that crime is out of control. Just stating facts. How would I have anything to propose? But just ignoring it and pretending it doesn't exist isn't going to help. Obviously no one has a solution or it would have already been taken care of.

No, your point is totally valid, luzianne. They need ta nab this moron who's shooting older men walking their dogs and riding bikes on Kansas City trailsystems. That is so terrible. KC's violent crime is a big, big problem. Ignoring it won't help it to go away. I can't help but think that what's causing some of it is so deeply ingrained in poverty and broken homes and drug use, etc., that solving it most likely will not happen.

Ever. But if the police can nab as many of them as they can, that will help. Sounds simplistic and kind of lame, but this is something that is deeply intrenched in the breakdown of our society. It's boundaries are earthwide and have been for centuries.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:29 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
There's no such thing as just "stating facts".

luzianne: "Hey, look at that tree."

friend: "OK, what about it?"

luzianne: "Nothing. Just look at it."

Obviously... you're proposing something. Just not a solution. You're proposing that people lock themselves in at night. Or you're proposing that people avoid the KC metro altogether, both for visiting and relocating. Or something.

You say ignoring it doesn't help. Neither does simply "calling it out".

Old 07-07-2017, 07:35 AM

654 posts, read 630,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
KCMO doesn't control their police either, the state does via commission boards
KCMO.gov » History

state sets policy/budget for local cops here, so it's harder to make changes

This sounds like it is a big part of the problem. I have got to believe increased police presence would be a big part of the solution. Yes, ideally you do not want an overbearing, police presence in your community, it is a sign of things gone wrong, but crime cannot continue to increase without wrecking the progress KC has made over the past 10 years in becoming a much better city than before.

Going back to the '90's-2000's where nothing was happening in the city and all the action was in the suburbs would set KC back and it would lose its status as an up and coming city around the country. Plus it would suck to live here if the city started to become abandoned again.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
There's no such thing as just "stating facts".

luzianne: "Hey, look at that tree."

friend: "OK, what about it?"

luzianne: "Nothing. Just look at it."

Obviously... you're proposing something. Just not a solution. You're proposing that people lock themselves in at night. Or you're proposing that people avoid the KC metro altogether, both for visiting and relocating. Or something.

You say ignoring it doesn't help. Neither does simply "calling it out".
No, I am saying crime in KC has been really bad this year. All the things you suggest I am "proposing" are your words, not mine. The news media has been talking about it...are they "proposing" something too? I'm sorry that you don't like the message, but it is what it is. I should just shut up unless I am saying KC is wonderful, right?

Read the title of this thread. My post is appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City