Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 4,275 times

Advertisements

I would like to say thank you to all of the people who have posted wonderful information on these threads. My husband has begun a new job near the KCMO Airport and we will be relocating soon from the Philly suburbs. We have 4 children all of school age. We have a leasing agent who has chosen properties for us to review in Fairway Kansas, Parkville MO, and Leawood KS. I would love to give my hub the gift of being within 35 mins of work. We want to stay closer to the city and like the Shawnee Mission and Park Hill school districts based on 3 of 4 children being gifted. We pan to buy in the area we rent in within 2.5 years. We have considered Blue Valley school district but don't want to be in the OP sprawl and traffic. We like neighborhoods vs developments and older homes are just fine with us. Can anyone give me opinions of the negatives and positives of these areas? I will give an update when we do our rental search in KCMO the week of July 2nd. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:35 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,120 times
Without a question I would pick Park Hill schools, they are just as good if not better then the schools in Kansas, it's also way closer to the airport and you could live in the quaint town of Parkville if you desired.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Park Hill/Parkville, hands down, in your situation.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Yeah, would consider Parkville area first. Is also closest to downtown for cultural things to do. One thing about JoCo (Fairway/Leawood) is they have more high end retail nearby if that matters to you but is more United States of Generica cookie cutter hoods with somewhat more consumerism-oriented culture than rest of metro.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I don't think you could really go wrong with any of those areas. If I ever needed to live in Kansas, Fairway is definitely one of my favorites. Leawood is a bit of a mixed bag -- it's more chraming up north and gets more Overland Park-esque sprawl going on on it's southern end. But given the commute, I would exhaust options in Parkville first. it's very charming, has a great community feel and will give your husband a very easy commute.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Agree totally with ALL the above.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Without a question I would pick Park Hill schools, they are just as good if not better then the schools in Kansas, it's also way closer to the airport and you could live in the quaint town of Parkville if you desired.
This!

Both living and working on the Missouri side will save your family from also having to file a KS tax return. The commute from Parkville and surrounds will be so much more convenient than from Fairway, KS.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM

82 posts, read 174,439 times
Like others here, I'd suggest looking at neighborhoods in the Park Hill district. I live in the district, and believe that most parents with school-age children think well of it. The main zip codes to research are 64151 and 64152. The district covers not just Parkville, but several other small towns, and also parts of Kansas City proper. Unless you want a high-density city environment, or high-rise living, I can't think of a reason to choose an area that's farther away from the job.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 4,275 times
Default Thank you for all of your valuable input!

We have now targeted Parkville and/or zips 64151 and 64152. We have found a property we really like in the Thousand Oaks development. Does anyone have opinions of what the development is like?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:31 AM

82 posts, read 174,439 times
On the plus side for Thousand Oaks, the topography is pretty, access to I-435 is excellent, and you are in the city of Parkville (versus Kansas City). One negative is that it's not an easy walk to stores or services. Also, talk to people who live in the subdivision about airplane noise. I believe it's directly under a flight path into and out of KCI Airport. Spend enough time outdoors there to find out if that would bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City