Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:33 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times

Advertisements

Ikea is opening today. I don't have to be anywhere in the mornings so usually I don't jump up and shower and brush my teeth right away, but this morning I did. My husband was leaving for work and said, "Why are you brushing your teeth already? Are you going to Ikea?" haha. No!!!

Anyway, they are giving away free couches to the first 40 in line, but people were in line three days ago! I wonder how they fared in the thunderstorm/wind/heavy rain we had last night?

I personally think their furniture is kind of plain/ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:23 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
It's good that KC is getting an IKEA. They are nice super regional retail destinations.

I wouldn't come within five miles of that place for at least six months though. IKEAs are fine and okay for a few things (mainly shelving, storage etc), but they are annoyingly busy and crowded on a normal day with tons of oblivious people that don't know how to walk through an IKEA without making things miserable for others. Over crowd an IKEA store with people that have never been in one? No thanks, that would be torture.

A lot of IKEA stuff is junk (or just very low quality) too. I wouldn't buy a lot of actual furniture from them. It's a bit overpriced for what you get. Our home is furnished with 100% modern and contemporary "stuff" and other than office desks (love their glass tables for desks), I wouldn't buy anything substantial from IKEA. If you are just starting out in an apartment or need stuff for a college dorm room, their futons, cheap light fixtures, window coverings, dishes etc are great.

And their tables were PERFECT for our Lego City display.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-10-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Old 09-10-2014, 10:57 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's good that KC is getting an IKEA. They are nice super regional retail destinations.

I wouldn't come within five miles of that place for at least six months though. IKEAs are fine and okay for a few things (mainly shelving, storage etc), but they are annoyingly busy and crowded on a normal day with tons of oblivious people that don't know how to walk through an IKEA without making things miserable for others. Over crowd an IKEA store with people that have never been in one? No thanks, that would be torture.

A lot of IKEA stuff is junk (or just very low quality) too. I wouldn't buy a lot of actual furniture from them. It's a bit overpriced for what you get. Our home is furnished with 100% modern and contemporary "stuff" and other than office desks (love their glass tables for desks), I wouldn't buy anything substantial from IKEA. If you are just starting out in an apartment or need stuff for a college dorm room, their futons, cheap light fixtures, window coverings, dishes etc are great.

Looks like about $20K worth of Legos

IKEA has nice home accessories, kitchen/bath/bedding items, and SOME of the furniture is fine. We still have a big book shelf we bought there in the late 90s that is a quality item. You can tell if the furniture is crap or not. If it's thin particle board, consider it to be a temporary item.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:07 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:

is that your rendering of KCI's new terminal? I see the old asb bridge too

Old 09-10-2014, 11:15 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
is that your rendering of KCI's new terminal? I see the old asb bridge too
It looks like a terrorist attack to me!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Trying to walk around the store scares me. I'm always worried about how the customers would escape in the event of a fire

Old 09-10-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Looks like about $20K worth of Legos

IKEA has nice home accessories, kitchen/bath/bedding items, and SOME of the furniture is fine. We still have a big book shelf we bought there in the late 90s that is a quality item. You can tell if the furniture is crap or not. If it's thin particle board, consider it to be a temporary item.
Yea, IKEA has some nice things that can't be found elsewhere. I also have some of their drawer cabinets that are perfect for prints.

As far as the Lego thing. Well, that's a 15 year project. My youngest has pretty much only gotten legos for christmas, birthdays etc for at least ten years. It's just all he ever wanted. It's a very creative hobby for kids and parents. Most toys end up in the trash, even legos if not cared for. Not only have these toys evolved into something pretty amazing, they have kept their value and in many cases doubled or tippled in value. Can't complain about that.

Luz, you will have to talk with my son about the airport design. That's his project .

Old 09-10-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Trying to walk around the store scares me. I'm always worried about how the customers would escape in the event of a fire
There are shortcuts that only IKEA regulars know about. Figure them out and you will be on of the few survivors for not only fires, but to get in and out of the stores without walking ten miles.

That brings up a good point. KC people hate to walk. I mean, the Zoo, KCI, parking downtown etc, the biggest complaints are always having to walk too far. Should be interesting how people deal with IKEA.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Yea, IKEA has some nice things that can't be found elsewhere. I also have some of their drawer cabinets that are perfect for prints.

As far as the Lego thing. Well, that's a 15 year project. My youngest has pretty much only gotten legos for christmas, birthdays etc for at least ten years. It's just all he ever wanted. It's a very creative hobby for kids and parents. Most toys end up in the trash, even legos if not cared for. Not only have these toys evolved into something pretty amazing, they have kept their value and in many cases doubled or tippled in value. Can't complain about that.

Luz, you will have to talk with my son about the airport design. That's his project .
I had a ton of Legos as a kid. I used to build cities with them, but they were mostly just the block variety. My kids are beginning their collection.

We ate at the IKEA cafeteria a few months ago here. Not too bad at all. Cafeterias in department stores is very European.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I had a ton of Legos as a kid. I used to build cities with them, but they were mostly just the block variety. My kids are beginning their collection.

We ate at the IKEA cafeteria a few months ago here. Not too bad at all. Cafeterias in department stores is very European.
Food is good and cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City