Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 PM

12 posts, read 16,065 times

Advertisements

Vegas pilgram really enjoyed your photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Yes, great photos of my hometown!

I still love Denver more though. I personally prefer the architecture of the homes in Denver better (just overall) and the denser feeling of the Denver metro area as a whole.

People always said "Kansas is Flat", so growing up there, I always thought KC was flat. After leaving at age 18, I eventually realized that it's not flat at all. But with the rolling hills and tall trees, you don't find many places where you can see off into the distance, as you can in Denver.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:51 AM

17 posts, read 40,218 times
[quote=vegaspilgrim;25659544] I was kind of shocked by how racially & economically segregated KCMO is. Just driving around, I got the impression that KCMO has a real, hardcore "inner city"-- you go just a few blocks northeast of the Plaza, and it seems like the neighborhood turns instantly all black. Seems like the whole gentrification movement that changed Denver (and a bunch of other cities) over the last 20 years bypassed KC entirely. quote]

Yeah I know its funny that out of towners strangly only seem to notice this. But thats one of the biggest draw backs to this place...

Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Panera Bread-- we have it in Denver too, but it seems like it's every 2 blocks in KC. Is it really that good? Panera Bread out there is like what Chipotle is like here.
I don't think either are super great, but I do def like them both quite a bit. I don't remember how many were in KC, but if there is a lot it might also have something to do with the fact that the chain originated just on the other side of the state in St. Louis. St. Louis has over 100 of them but they are still called by its original name St. Louis Bread Co.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 PM

40 posts, read 70,235 times
Vegaspilgrim - I couldn't agree with you more about the segregation within the inner-city. That is a phenomenon that us who live in Kansas City call the "Troost Divide", as once you cross Troost going east from the Plaza (or anywhere north between that area and downtown, and even going south), the landscape drastically changes and there is a definitely cultural and racial divide. That's a very astute observation for someone who was only here on a spur of the moment trip!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM

267 posts, read 618,364 times
For trails, try Indian Creek. It starts in Olathe and winds underneath the big grid streets in Joco, going parallel to 435, and ending I believe where the Blue River trails start. There are several points you can park your car and just start running. Though it's near development running on it feels very natural and isolated even though you barely leave home.

There is also Mill Creek, also starting in western Olathe and going northward in a much more isolated area (except there's also a railroad nearby...). I do in fact see a lot of people on both this and Indian Creek. There are other creeks with trails around here as well, I just can't think of all of them, and they are mostly branches of the two I mentioned. The tree cover is of course densest in NEJOCO, stays that way north of 435/K-10, and gets somewhat more barren in the newest areas south of there.

Shawnee Mission Park is also rather huge, as is Heritage Park, and the Overland Park Arboretum. Of course nothing like Colorado's vast expanse, but surprising for an area outsiders sometimes think of as flat and barren. The Northland has a bunch of wilderness by the river, but I'm not sure how accessible those are to the public.

Driving here is like playing sonic in an all water level. People here are incredibly slow, and will get in your way on purpose if you try to pass them. Don't even think of using the horn, or they might just follow you to your destination to curse you out, or slam on the brakes. However I have seen this is not the only area where drivers act like this, I've this behavior in St. Louis and in Oklahoma as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City