Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times

Advertisements

This is an old article but regardless of that, what do you guys think of the idea? Could it ever come to fruition? I did hear that recently, the proposal is teetering, something to do with trackage rights I believe.

Kansas City Envisions 150-Mile Regional Commuter Rail System « The Transport Politic

And the map:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
It's dependent on the freight railroad companies. KC is the second busiest freight rail center in US. Is difficult enough just to work with one but there are multiple rail companies that make it more complicated. Lots of planets/moon/sun will need to align to make this happen. The rail companies don't seem to be interested unless they can profit more from railtime for commuters than for freight.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
I'm interested in the name of the former KCK rail ROW that map illustrates. I know that east of 635 it's the Kansas and Missouri Railway and Terminal Co, at least per the map linked below. KCK's planning department has it pegged for a Trolley Track-type trail like in Brookside, which is brilliant because the ROW goes right through KCK's Brookside-type neighborhoods and can tap some major potential. West of 635, though, I've never been able to see the ROW's route on satellite imagery.

Greater Kansas City. / Gallup Map & Supply Company / 1920

Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
The rail companies don't seem to be interested unless they can profit more from railtime for commuters than for freight.
How do you think that could benefit in your area? I've never been to KC so I wouldn't know.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 AM

I like how KCK is getting some action in that rail plan, but the trip between downtown and Liberty looks very inefficient and out of the way.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 PM

65 posts, read 120,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I'm interested in the name of the former KCK rail ROW that map illustrates. I know that east of 635 it's the Kansas and Missouri Railway and Terminal Co, at least per the map linked below. KCK's planning department has it pegged for a Trolley Track-type trail like in Brookside, which is brilliant because the ROW goes right through KCK's Brookside-type neighborhoods and can tap some major potential. West of 635, though, I've never been able to see the ROW's route on satellite imagery.

Greater Kansas City. / Gallup Map & Supply Company / 1920
I think west of 635 it is just going to follow the route of least resistance. I doubt if the city or county owns any ROW out towards 435. There were RR and interurban ROWs near and along Parallel and Leavenworth, but they've been gone for 60+ years. KCK must be assuming they could reacquire the ROW, like KCMO did with the Trolley Track Trail. But even with it the infrastructure is long gone (save for one bridge that would likely be replaced).

Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinix1999 View Post
I think west of 635 it is just going to follow the route of least resistance. I doubt if the city or county owns any ROW out towards 435. There were RR and interurban ROWs near and along Parallel and Leavenworth, but they've been gone for 60+ years. KCK must be assuming they could reacquire the ROW, like KCMO did with the Trolley Track Trail. But even with it the infrastructure is long gone (save for one bridge that would likely be replaced).
Yes, but the path of least resistance is plentiful west of 635. I'm familiar with the area on the ground and have tried finding any indication of a rail ROW on Google maps. Old rail ROWS are usually easy to find. In fact, I think this one is the first I haven't been able to trace. East of 635 the ROW seems to be intact, and I would assume the city owns it but I don't know for sure.

Where is the bridge you speak of? Know of any maps or any other info?

I grew up a neighborhood-scale block away from the Kansas City, Leavenworth, and Western interurban corridor, which I believe is what you're referring to as being along the Parallel and Leavenworth Rd corridors. A lot of information on that line can be found in one place, here:

http://www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/documents/kckleavenworth.pdf

Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Upon a second look for a former rail ROW west of 635 corresponding with the route on the OP's map, I now think it never existed and that in the transit plan the map represents simply wanted to use the I-70, Turner Diagonal, and State Ave ROW's. I only assumed the route followed a former rail ROW, which was my mistake.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM

65 posts, read 120,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

Where is the bridge you speak of? Know of any maps or any other info?
I was referring to the one bridge on the Trolley Track Trail in KC, near Wornall and 69th Street. And I believe you are correct in assuming KCK would want to just generally follow old ROWs if a rail line was ever built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City