Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM

196 posts, read 394,901 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Well, this is embarrassing...or perhaps whoever made this list is wrong on all accounts.

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I think the only reason KC made the list was because of its physical size. With so much suburban sprawl in the city limits, you get lots of extra walmarts and stuff that other cities would not have.

That’s all I can think of anyway because I have been in every major city multiple times and KC is just not a very redneck town, it just isn’t. It has a fair amount of blue collar people, but no more than most major metros outside places like Boston, DC, San Fran etc.

KC is no different than Cleveland, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Cincy etc.

Number one should be Oklahoma City. That town is 100 times more redneck than KC.

Now KCK, especially out by the speedway is kinda redneck, but that is not the real KC.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 AM

196 posts, read 394,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think the only reason KC made the list was because of its physical size. With so much suburban sprawl in the city limits, you get lots of extra walmarts and stuff that other cities would not have.

That’s all I can think of anyway because I have been in every major city multiple times and KC is just not a very redneck town, it just isn’t. It has a fair amount of blue collar people, but no more than most major metros outside places like Boston, DC, San Fran etc.

Number one should be Oklahoma City. That town is 100 times more redneck than KC.

Now KCK, especially out by the speedway is kinda redneck, but that is not the real KC.
Or perhaps because it has "KANSAS" in its name. Not that I agree, but the national media likes to play up Kansas as being an empty, unsophisticated wasteland with a population of stereotypic hicks and trailer trash. There are also many uniformed people in this country who ignorantly assume that evolution is still banned in all Kansas schools.

Last edited by MidWestCityNative; 05-10-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
That's not a serious real estate site. People are making too big of a deal over this list.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
Or perhaps because it has "KANSAS" in its name. Not that I agree, but the national media likes to play up Kansas as being an empty, unsophisticated wasteland with a population of stereotypic hicks and trailer trash. There are also many uniformed people in this country who ignorantly assume that evolution is still banned in all Kansas schools.
Well, I'm not too fond of Kansas, as I'm sure you know . Way too conservative, not much there, the few somewhat urban cities it has are generally a complete joke and the state leans (sucks) on KCMO's "bleep" too much.

But I find myself defending Kansas all the time out here because much of metro KC is in Kansas. While I despise how JoCo interacts with KCMO, I do tell people all the time that the KS suburbs of KC are no different than larger developed white collar suburbs of any major city. Eastern Kansas is actually very pretty and green and lush and along with MO is some of the best topography in the midwest. I still don't think people believe it though.

Honestly , KCK is probably what most would imagine all of KC to be like (only flatter and less trees). Think downtown KCK, (small, run down, kinda southern) and the speedway area with the sports complex added so that KCK has the chiefs and royals.

That's what most people imagine "KC" to be like.

I know that people in Kansas think Missouri has a terrible image, but it just doesn't People think of rivers, mark twain, st louis etc when they think of MO. Few outside of KC even know about the meth title (the biggest thing KS people like to use against MO).

Kansas has an absolutely horrid image. Like why would anybody want to live there, worst place in the country, type image. Country, tornados, cows, farms, no trees or other vegetation, extreme bible thumpers

That image directly effects the image of KC. KC doesn't do itself any favors sometimes either. The airport situation, location of the ballparks etc all help create the illusion of a small, rural type city that happens to have pro sports. Even though KC's bbq is generally a very urban culture, bbq is more associated with rural than urban.

Now people that have been to KC and not just driven through via 70 are generally extremely impressed by KC. But you have to get off 70 and explore the city because KC looks terrible when just driving through (old, ghetto, run down, industrial, small, narrow and very dated Interstate 70 etc, even the skyline looks half as big from 70 than from the north or south). So even those that have driven through or passed through the airport may not have a much better impression of the city.

So KC is very much in a vacuum nationally.

Last edited by kcmo; 05-10-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 PM

455 posts, read 771,364 times
Default Agreed -- K.C. is not that redneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Totally agree with this -- Oklahoma City should definitely be number one on that list. Rednecks as a dime a dozen in OKC and seem to fill out most of the areas landscape. I've traveled around the country quite a bit for business as well, and the Kansas City area is really not that redneck at all, especially compared to North and East Texas. I would put Jacksonville, Charlotte, Birmingham, Houston, Memphis, and even Indy all above K.C. as far as the amount of Rednecks per capita and the overall redneck culture you see displayed on a daily basis in any of those places.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:35 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Ah, so you don't think KC is the most redneck Midwestern city, but perhaps 2nd after Indy?

I've always thought KC has and must have a bit of a Southern influence being that it's a major city that basically borders the South. During our industrial era, I'd imagine quite a few folks moved and settled up here from the South for those jobs. It's just that the Southern (or redneck) influence never really permeated the upper-class/powers-that-be here, except maybe somewhere like Harrisonville or something. That town and county seems kind of redneck run to me. But within the black community here, there's still some strong Southern influence from people who have extended family in Arkansas or other Southern states. If you ignore skin color and pay attention when riding the bus sometimes you'll notice some very Southern/country/hick type black people. Some pockets of the black community are so insular and segregated from the mainstream that they've retained certain characteristics.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Well, this is embarrassing...or perhaps whoever made this list is wrong on all accounts.
I think it was meant to be fun or something, but seems kind of stupid. They've sure brought out people's inferiority complexes and insecurity though. It's kind of pathetic actually. I think KCMO needs to do more to bring the more rural types into the mix of the urban core. Sure, they go to the boat, RV, auto, and home and garden shows, and a few concerts at Sprint Center, but they don't seem to stick around. Of course, with the intolerant attitudes and crime (perceived and real), it's no wonder they don't. I really wish Cabela's or Bass Pro could have been built in the bottoms on the KS river and something done with our Western/stockyards history. The Legends should have used that as a theme instead of whatever it's supposed to be now. But oh well, that's just dreaming.

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 PM

455 posts, read 771,364 times
K.C. shouldn't even be considered in the top 25 of the most Redneck Cities, but remember it's just a post from some yocal blogger here in Austin.

I'm originally from the West Coast so my perspective might be somewhat different than a native midwesterner. I've also never been to Detroit, Milwaukee, or Omaha, so I really can't give any insight on the redneckery of any of those cities. IMO most of Southern Ohio including Cincinnati, the vast majority of Indiana, and yes even Southern MN, culturally feel more backward and redneck to me than Kansas City ever will.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Omaha is definitely less redneck than Kansas City. I don't know about Milwaukee and Detroit, but even though they're more blue collar than KC, I can't imagine them being more redneck than KC.

I get your Indiana and southern Ohio remark, but southern MN??? Maybe you just had an isolated rural experience there? Or is there something I'm missing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City