Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 10:54 PM

27 posts, read 81,135 times

Advertisements

I was recently in Kansas City looking for property to purchase as an investment opportunity and drove through the 3rd District of Kansas City. Originally I was looking for something with close proximity to highways and downtown. I drove block after block throughout the 3rd district and noticed it was by far the most depressing thing I had ever seen. Miles and miles of dilapidated houses, not one single grocery store, not one single place to purchase the basics that suburbanites take for granite. I don't even think you can buy a pair shoes in this district.

Oh wait... I did notice a Popeyes Chicken and liquor stores galore. Way to go Melba Curls.

I asked the question how could this be?

One simple answer came to mind. The elected officials who represent this depressing district. In particular Melba Curls. After doing my research on this woman it seems she step into the political spotlight simply by name association alone. Her husband was a State Senator, however, she is no politician.

Is she just another political hustler taking advantage of the people?

From my research she has made promises to hard working people who pay taxes that they have yet to see. She also is associated with an organization called FreedomInc in Kansas City.

Where's the freedom? Her district looks more like bondage of a people.

I'm not into politics but this sad case for an elected official must go ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 02:45 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,120 times
Parts of St Louis make the KC 3rd District look like Beverly Hills. Detroit and many other black inner cities look like bombed out war zones, i don't really know why everything goes to crap in those areas.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Parts of St Louis make the KC 3rd District look like Beverly Hills. Detroit and many other black inner cities look like bombed out war zones, i don't really know why everything goes to crap in those areas.
crime. those areas of KC have off the charts crime, often as bad as cities that you would think would be much worse.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:46 AM

210 posts, read 428,319 times
The third district has been that way long before Melba Curls and will continue to be long after she is gone. You overestimate her ability to do something about it. These are forces that go way beyond a councilperson.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 PM

53 posts, read 67,477 times
melba curls don't know much about her, she seems like a nut though, yet no policy is going to save this place.....

I actually like parts of indy ave, northeast, Sheffield comes to mind and the eastside( east of Indiana, south of Truman until 27th st) is becoming heavily latino,,,,,much more life is being displayed where previously the outside scene was very dead

I see signs of some higher up hands sweeping re building along the lower 20s, near Lincoln high, vine st ,etc, and lower troost is trying to have a new urban rebirth...... seeing the trend, possibly long term of people wanting urban locations for their whole life,,,,, no policy is goin to save this place albeit,,,,,

whats that place monarch manor, paying homage to the old ball park on Brooklyn ave,,,,,

I gotta say, I drove from 40 hiway west to the westside using 31st street at 1am ,,,,my god I thought Kansas city has truly fallen, and been falling and failing to rise decades on decades, people of any color don't care, or those that do and did couldn't fight the crime and bad influence, its not all bad people down there.

27th st, linwood, 39th st,brush creek

small slim portions east of troost near delasalle are ok, I think members of this forum have homes there and have posted up pictures of their neighborhood a thread was dedicated to that area, squire park I think

I live on 79th and troost,just heard shots from waldo heights apts, yet the variety of grocery is good here, hy vee, balls pc, aldi, bks price chopper, cosentinos, target, tj's, hen house in pv, 103rd price chop, sav a lot on 85th st,,,,,,

I was looking in midtown where to go, im guessing just a few spots, sun fresh and sav a lot on troost and 34th

Old 08-10-2013, 10:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I'm pretty sure crime and poverty in east KC didn't start with Melba Curls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City