Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 06:23 PM

684 posts, read 792,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hunter Pence puts Arthur Bryant's sauce on a Z-Man.

Some more, if anyone cares to like these signs like I do...

Hunter Pence runs while walking in a 5K.

Hunter Pence sunbathes in the shade.

Hunter Pence owns Iraqi Dinars.

Hunter Pence trolleys to a bus stop.

Hunter Pence can play Minecraft like Chuck Norris.

Hunter Pence has watched the Sound of Music over a hundred times.

Hunter Pence played the piano in his marching band.

Hunter Pence played the piano in his gym class.

Hunter Pence can eBay like Chuck Norris.

Hunter Pence does yoga at piano practice.

Hunter Pence can tell time like Chuck Norris.

Hunter Pence can chew gum like Chuck Norris.

Hunter Pence visits Egypt to see the Great Wall of China.

Last edited by Truly Missouri; 11-01-2014 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 12:01 AM

684 posts, read 792,218 times
Hunter Pence can tie his shoes like Chuck Norris.

Hunter Pence shoplifts from a lemonade stand.

Hunter Pence owes taxes on his cabbage patch doll collection.

Hunter Pence Black Fridays the Dollar General Store. (Meaning he camps out in front of the store to be the first and only customer in line when they open their doors at 8 a.m. But only then to get caught shoplifting.)

Hunter Pence can play with his GI Joes like Chuck Norris.

Hunter Pence can post bond like Chuck Norris.

I went ahead and started a new thread in the baseball section for this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/baseb...nce-signs.html

Old 11-02-2014, 04:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times

The last paragraph - this is what CrownVic has been saying all along!

Last edited by luzianne; 11-02-2014 at 04:50 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 07:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
It's really funny... Somehow, the author forgot to mention how his entire experience in Kansas City/with the Royals was actually subpar, and would have been vastly improved if only the stadium were located downtown! Maybe The Star edited that part out...

Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,475,620 times
KC Royals had a hell of a season and made their fans proud. Nothing thought they would even make the playoffs let alone the World Series at the beginning of the year. KC Royals were amazing and should be proud of what they accomplished in 2014

Old 11-02-2014, 09:46 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Quote:
It's really funny... Somehow, the author forgot to mention how his entire experience in Kansas City/with the Royals was actually subpar, and would have been vastly improved if only the stadium were located downtown! Maybe The Star edited that part out...
They probably edited out the part about KCI airport being the worst airport too .

Funny you bring this up. There is a poll on the KC Business Journal website about a downtown stadium.

Business Pulse Poll: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium? - Kansas City Business Journal

It's only been a few years since Kauffman was renovated and it's already being discussed again. It won't happen anytime soon, but it goes to show that maybe it should have happened because I"m about 100% sure that the city will be taking a serious look at a new stadium long before the Jackson County tax expires.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:43 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Something that the regressive ballpark must be downtown mindset will never grasp, let alone admit, it that the likelihood of the fan experience that prompted the commentary in that article is next to nil in a downtown park. That article exists in large part because of the kind of people drawn to KC's ballpark in its current location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
They probably edited out the part about KCI airport being the worst airport too .

Funny you bring this up. There is a poll on the KC Business Journal website about a downtown stadium.

Business Pulse Poll: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium? - Kansas City Business Journal

It's only been a few years since Kauffman was renovated and it's already being discussed again. It won't happen anytime soon, but it goes to show that maybe it should have happened because I"m about 100% sure that the city will be taking a serious look at a new stadium long before the Jackson County tax expires.
Because somebody posted a poll "it goes to show that maybe it should have happened"? Lol!

Did you read the comments posted on your linked poll? KC sensibility is alive, well, and will continue to prevail. There's nothing complicated about this. KC people quite simply know better.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:58 AM

495 posts, read 779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

I just voted, as of this morning, 52% want a new downtown ballpark. It should have already happened I can't see them abandoning the K anytime soon, unless the Cerner guys buy the team and are willing to cough up a large chunk of the money to get it built....yeah right, like that will happen

Old 11-03-2014, 08:06 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Something that the regressive ballpark must be downtown mindset will never grasp, let alone admit, it that the likelihood of the fan experience that prompted the commentary in that article is next to nil in a downtown park. That article exists in large part because of the kind of people drawn to KC's ballpark in its current location.

Because somebody posted a poll "it goes to show that maybe it should have happened"? Lol!

Did you read the comments posted on your linked poll? KC sensibility is alive, well, and will continue to prevail. There's nothing complicated about this. KC people quite simply know better.
I was just surprised that it's even being brought up again and it seems that every time it is brought up, it's still pretty evenly split and lots of debate over it. That tells me that this issue is going to continue to pop up and may become a pretty big issue way before the renovations are ever paid for. It's not just the business journal as this this has popped up in other places as well. My point is that even AFTER renovations, there are a lot of people that seem to be open to the idea of a new stadium.

Personally, I wanted a new stadium. but now that the renovations have been done and tax payers are on still on the hook for 20 years, the idea is a waste of time and money. But that doesn't mean it won't be an issue.

I still think it was a waste of money to renovate when the city could have gotten so much more in return by placing a new stadium in a more strategic location that would benefit hotels and other downtown development to help create some much needed critical mass and urban activity in KC. Also, the renovation only brought the stadium up to about 80% of what a new stadium would have done and for that reason, the Royals may be screaming for a new park anyway within ten years.

What's done is done and Kauffman is a nice enough park. But I will always think it was a terrible use of money to just renovate. Again, if you are going to spend that kind of money, try to get something of it. The sports complex has minimal impact on KC. Oh and one more thing. The comments on the KCBJ site are typical of KC. It's all about parking there. I go to games in stadiums all across the country and parking is just never an issue except for just a few of the stadiums, but those are in very transit friendly cities where you would be stupid to drive anyway. We drive to games in Baltimore all the time. It's just as easy, if not easier the the Truman Sports Complex. There are close by surface lots on one side of the stadium and tons of garages on the city side of the stadium. Both are a short walk to the park plus light rail is an option. . You will find the same thing in places like San Diego, Denver, Minneapolis, St Louis etc.

Kauffman should be good for for a while, but mark my words, this will be a very hot topic in another 7-10 years and KC will probably have to bend over to keep the teams happy and will either have to build a new stadium anyway or put yet another 300 million into Kauffman for another ten years. The city will end up paying way more for a stadium that is still not a nice as the newer parks (other than fountains, what is really great about Kauffman?) and and still in a terrible location.

250 million to renovate when a new park would have only cost about 50 million more? That is going to come back to haunt KC, just like renovating Kemper Arena did. Arrowhead is a totally different situation. Great location for an NFL stadium, a more intense renovation that did more to bring the stadium up to par and it saved money as a new NFL stadium would approach a billion dollars.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-03-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 11:56 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
But the main reason I wouldn't want it downtown is parking. What a hassle. It's already a hassle to park downtown for anything you need/want to do down there, including concerts.

I don't know, I went to a Padres game during the summer and it was okay, but I wasn't all that impressed with the downtown location. The buildings all around made the field seem so small compared to the K. It wasn't at all as nice as the K. Parking was a hassle. I like how the K is so big and open.

I also went to a Denver/KC football game. They don't have anything on Arrowhead. And again, parking wasn't as nice and convenient as it is as TSC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City