Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should host the 2016 Republican National Convention?
Cleveland 4 20.00%
Dallas 9 45.00%
Denver 2 10.00%
Kansas City 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times

Advertisements

2016 GOP convention host cities: contenders vs. pretenders | Communities Digital News

Quote:
Kansas City—Absolutely Yes. Everything about this city makes for a perfect convention. While Kansas is reliably Republican, Missouri is the ultimate swing state that leans slightly Republican. Kansas City is as Middle America as it gets. This is the heartland through and through. They have great barbecue joints and friendly, welcoming, and most importantly, normal people. This is the anti-coastal answer to the disasters of San Francisco and Manhattan. After eight years of turmoil, this Kansas City is a peaceful oasis of calm. This city would be the most expensive for liberal protesters to travel to and disrupt. The liberal media turns it noses up at areas like this, making it a perfect place for a Grand Old Party looking to showcase real solutions for real America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 8,700 times
KC or Cleveland makes the most sense politically to me since I do see Missouri and obviously Ohio as swing states. TX is a solid red state and unfortunately I only see Colorado turning more liberal every year. Would love to see it in KC though

Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,864,570 times
If conventions help get votes, then KC makes perfect sense.
Missouri is certainly a swing state, or bellweather state, Obama aside.
It's the Show-Me state, so of course it was skeptical towards an inexperienced and over-hyped Obama. The moderates McCain and Romney were more logical fits for MO, who was wise enough to ignore the grandma-off-the-cliff scare tactics and also was smart enough to realize Biden=Palin as if VP selection sways votes anyway.
Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbia, various rural areas and even Springfield are all blue/purple so Missouri is always in play.
If the Democrats had fielded a less pie-in-the-sky candidate, I could easily see how they could have won Missouri last couple times out.
Of course, being a Kansas City homer from afar, I'm always rooting for it to get stuff.
Cleveland would also be interesting with Ohio and all.
Denver just had one.
Dallas, no. It might actually hurt because Texas would possibly shine the light on a caricature view of Republican policy, playing into Democrat's hands.

Last edited by northbound74; 06-16-2014 at 07:37 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
It should be hosted in the city that will help the GOP win in 2016. Whatever it takes to get the Republicans in office and quickly!!!!
That's why I picked Cleveland. W/out Ohio, it's hard for them to win. Not that I want them to

I don't think they'll pick Denver. It's "enemy territory" for them.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabadger View Post
KC or Cleveland makes the most sense politically to me since I do see Missouri and obviously Ohio as swing states. TX is a solid red state and unfortunately I only see Colorado turning more liberal every year. Would love to see it in KC though
I think that's fortunate for CO

I don't think KC will get it due to the lack of hotels downtown. I voted for Cleveland, but I have no clue about their convention center and hotel situation. I'm sure Dallas is very capable, but they'd just be preaching to the choir in TX.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's not in Kansas, it's in Missouri and I think Missouri could be a swing state again and maybe holding the convention there would help that happen.
Kansasy City Missouri and Kansasy City Kansas are still conservative cities. IF they really want to go at Missouri, which isn't that important of a state in Electoral votes, they should go to St. Louis.

The important swing states are Florida, Virginia, Ohio, and quite possibly North Carolina by 2016. All of those states have twice as many or more electoral votes than Missouri.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 PM

638 posts, read 624,646 times
From 1996-2008, the conventions were held in California, Pennsylvania, New York, and Minnesota-solid Dem states. Ohio is the biggest swing state of the four options. Colorado and Texas are basically locks.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:43 PM

639 posts, read 767,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
Whichever city will sabotage the Republican Party. Wait, they already sabotage themselves. Carry on.
As long as California never gets it or any(more) public monies or tax dollars.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:55 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,864,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Kansasy City Missouri and Kansasy City Kansas are still conservative cities. IF they really want to go at Missouri, which isn't that important of a state in Electoral votes, they should go to St. Louis.

The important swing states are Florida, Virginia, Ohio, and quite possibly North Carolina by 2016. All of those states have twice as many or more electoral votes than Missouri.
Kansas City, Kansas is a blue-collar suburb and reliable Democratic stronghold to this day.
Kansas City, Missouri is a left-leaning Democratic city overall. The suburban-style parts that aren't as liberal as the rest of the city are still extremely moderate.
Not much different than St. Louis, politically speaking.

But, Missouri is currently easier for the Republicans than it is for the Democrats to win. Dems have simply gone too far to the left for a state that is moderate, but leans right when pushed.
It also has been historically somewhat libertarian in some respects. Libertarian in ways that resonate with Missouri.
I agree that IF convention locations make the slightest difference, Ohio would be the obvious choice among the options listed.
Should the Republicans decide to embrace their libertarian wing, Colorado might be in play. Not sure what's going on with that place. No matter. Denver just had one.
I would have liked CO MUCH more 40 years ago...
Republicans should cherry-pick a few ideas from Texas but otherwise distance itself from it.

Last edited by northbound74; 06-16-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,808,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

According to a competitive site stats (city-data doesn't allow links), KC metro has 52% DEMs registered and state of MO has 49% DEM/GOP registered each with the rest Indies. MO is basically still a swing state but does lean GOP for Pres elections. Could change with a moderate DEM and too radical GOPr. In comparison, Dallas metro is 46% DEM registered, 53% GOP. Texas is 55% GOP and 43% DEM, rest Indies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City