Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 03:26 PM

19 posts, read 20,956 times

Advertisements

Thank You to all who have answered. We do not want acreage; no way, no how do I (born/raised in suburbia) want/need much land! We will check out those other areas as well; will probably stay in Johnson County but I like the idea of expanding outside of BV schools. Thanks for the website link too; our current realtor (who I've never met) is trying to help us but without a more specific idea it's hard for her to narrow it down!

Old 02-21-2016, 04:37 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
I was driving along Shawnee mission Parkway and Johnson drive the other day it still seems pretty nice. Any of those townships along those roads would be okay; Fairway, Mission or Shawnee. I would go to schooldigger.com and look up the best school in an area and it will provide a link to homes for sale nearby
Kansas Schools - Find a School in Kansas - SchoolDigger.com

Last edited by thriftylefty; 02-21-2016 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 12:25 AM

19 posts, read 20,956 times
Follow up questions...

what would you describe the housing market like currently in KS? I'm sure I could ask our realtor but I haven't even met her yet

Haven't decided on school district per se but ranks of 9 and up are important to us. Anyone live in a general area they think fits this requirement well?

When you drive around Overland Park, what neighborhoods are your favorite and why?

Worried about ages of homes. Living in SoCal we don't turn on heat or ac often. In regards to energy efficiency of houses, is age critical here, like is a 5 year home way better than a 15 year old home for energy efficiency? Any questions to ask about this before buying?

Getting excited and nervous to visit later this month with the whole family.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:04 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,057,613 times
It's a pretty good market for sellers, but still inexpensive relative to other major cities. I have a friend who sells real estate and he says inventory is very low in the most desirable areas.

Check out Nottingham Forest South if there is anything available there. It is served by Harmony elementary and middle, BVNW HS. That's darn close to "9" top to bottom. I live in Mission Trail elementary district and it seems to be a popular destination for people obsessed with public school strength. Our middle school (Leawood MS) is rated 7 on Greatschools, but my kid likes it a lot, and I'm not quite sure why it is that low. I didn't want to live south of 135th, so I sort of ignored all the schools down that way, but I know there are several that are 9+ rated throughout - Prairie Star and Sunset Ridge come to mind. It's just too dang far out for me, but for someone working in Olathe it is probably all good.

Can't speak to the age question. My house is 30 years old and seems to do pretty well on heating and cooling bills - maybe $300 per month in peak need months, but it's 4000 square feet also, so that doesn't seem bad to me.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:59 AM

fwiw, my favorite subdivision in OP is Nottingham Forest. Of the half dozen or so subdivisions I toured in OP a couple years back, that one really caught my eye because 1) it is very centrally located, good access to highways and shopping, 2) the homes are attractive, well kept, excellent curb appeal 3) it's not as cookie-cutterish as many of the newer subdivisions, 4) it was in our target price range, 5) mature trees.

Didn't end up buying there, but I still think it is a great looking community.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
I suppose it's all perspective. Lot sizes for new homes in Olathe (and all of KC metro) are obnoxiously oversized to me. If your idea of fun is spending an hour and a half pushing a mower in the heat, humidity and bugs once a week, then you'll have a blast

Old 03-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I suppose it's all perspective. Lot sizes for new homes in Olathe (and all of KC metro) are obnoxiously oversized to me. If your idea of fun is spending an hour and a half pushing a mower in the heat, humidity and bugs once a week, then you'll have a blast

Nah, you just pay some crew $50 per week to do it for you.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:13 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Lawns are the worst IMO, especially if you have an HOA that dictates that the property must have one. I've gotten rid of large sections of lawn, put in natural plants, tress, ground cover, and gardens. Far nicer than a boring lawn and actually produces things of value.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Some like the exercise. And the lawn.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:28 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,717 times
Living in Arizona (with microscopic lot sizes and no lawns) I really do miss lawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City