Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:48 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,170,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
KCMO has an unexplained strong dislike of KS and Johnson County, KS in particular.
While I don't generally agree with him on that, it is not unexplained. Quite the contrary, it has been beaten into the ground here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 09:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,248,267 times
This is "so Kansas City". Referring to criminals as "urban thugs" (which still has racist overtones IMO) and arguing over where the criminals come from/live. In Denver, you'd never hear this. Crime happens in metro Denver, of course, but you just don't hear all the bickering over where the criminals came from or where they live.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:25 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
^^ Exactly. The racial undertone is one of the things that makes this thread so gross.

I don't think this is remotely a Kansas City specific phenomenon, that said.

Various communities having distaste for the "urban," (i.e. minority) element, NIMBYism, white flight, etc... these mindsets are a bit more widespread than just KC. Maybe it's non-existent in Denver, I can't speak to that. But it's assuredly not just a KC thing.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:11 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,170,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
This is "so Kansas City". Referring to criminals as "urban thugs" (which still has racist overtones IMO) and arguing over where the criminals come from/live. In Denver, you'd never hear this. Crime happens in metro Denver, of course, but you just don't hear all the bickering over where the criminals came from or where they live.
Oh, really?

Denver street thugs fatally bludgeon opera singer/broadway actress

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28...obbery-assault

Quote:
I moved to LoDo in 1998. It was fun then...it is disgusting now. Drug use, homeless explosion, and thugs galore.
Quote:
This is why I haven't been to the 16th Street Mall in more than 10 years... it's just filled with bums, thugs, and lowlifes
Quote:
Why is nobody offering a description of the suspects? Not Fox 31, not 9 News and not Denver Post. There were dozens (if not more) that witnessed it. Fox 31 said they were "teens". I read a report that 12 to 20 jumped in and beat the guy up. Were they Cherry Creek "teens" or Montbello "teens"? Perhaps West Denver Teens?
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29...kley-and-iliff

Quote:
I'll wager the thugs have already-extensive criminal records and got a wrist slap over and over from the courts.
Quote:
Another Aurora punk. See what a ghetto this city is. End welfare and crime will go down by 50%.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gunfire-...ver-1454192772

Quote:
No arrests? Oh that's right it was in Denver which is a sanctuary city for illegals and gang members. The cops in Denver have strict orders not to do any policing.
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/04/we-c...-neighborhood/

Quote:
The producer asked why one certain zip code — the one for Denver’s Montbello neighborhood — had the words “do not call” written under it on the list.

“We call it Mount Ghetto,” Andrea explained. She further elaborated that Montbello is a “colored neighborhood.”
I would post more, but it's already sickening, and you're already wrong.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 03-28-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,279,155 times
Hmmm. I only used the word "thug" because that is the word kcmo used in his original post. But I don't automatically assume a thug is black and I don't consider it a racial thing. Thugs come in all races.

I honestly don't know and didn't check the race of the three people that kcmo mentioned in the original post other than I found the Facebook page of the one that was killed and saw from his profile picture that he was black.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think kcmo automatically considers a thug to be black, either.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:13 PM

I wasn't saying that the word "thug" has never been used in Denver. What's I don't hear is people arguing over which part of the city the criminals live in. Or putting down Denver as being some urban dump where people get killed. But then Denver doesn't have huge parts of the city that are poverty-stricken and run down.

But the word definitely has a racist feel to me, and I'd never use it to describe someone anymore. It's evolved from what it meant in the past.

"Thug, a word once used by a sub-set of a minority community to describe itself, was suddenly being used by an elite, mostly white, mostly wealthy class to tar the entirety of a minority community. A word that was, in a sense empowering, was now being used as a shorthand for “black people doing things we disapprove of.” Historically, there have been other words used for that same purpose. That “thug” doesn’t have as long a history of obvious racism as some other words does not make its new and unfortunate meaning any less racist."

Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
^^ Exactly. The racial undertone is one of the things that makes this thread so gross.

I don't think this is remotely a Kansas City specific phenomenon, that said.

Various communities having distaste for the "urban," (i.e. minority) element, NIMBYism, white flight, etc... these mindsets are a bit more widespread than just KC. Maybe it's non-existent in Denver, I can't speak to that. But it's assuredly not just a KC thing.
No, what I mean is unique to KC is the constant bickering over counties and states. When a metro area is all in one state, it seems more cohesive.

Denver had white flight back whenever that was big (60s?), but so much of urban Denver is now desirable, and the murder rate in Denver is much lower than KCMO. Suburban people here seem to embrace downtown Denver as "theirs", and go there without the thought of it being some dangerous hell hole.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:12 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,064,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
While I don't generally agree with him on that, it is not unexplained. Quite the contrary, it has been beaten into the ground here.
The root cause for KCMO's dislike has not been revealed by him; only his complaints about KS have been posted.

I don't want, nor need to know who or what tainted his feelings for KS, just seems like such a waste to time for anyone to carry a grudge, it is not healthy.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:25 PM

638 posts, read 625,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
No, what I mean is unique to KC is the constant bickering over counties and states. When a metro area is all in one state, it seems more cohesive.

Denver had white flight back whenever that was big (60s?), but so much of urban Denver is now desirable, and the murder rate in Denver is much lower than KCMO. Suburban people here seem to embrace downtown Denver as "theirs", and go there without the thought of it being some dangerous hell hole.
Denver metro is in one state.
Kansas City metro is not.
Oh, and the two states don't like each other.
If I could transport the metro to central Missouri I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City