Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 4,548 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm looking at a possible relocation from Springfield MO to Johnson County. I'm a single mom with 2 school-aged kids. The job I'm interviewing for is around 87th Street, west of Antioch.

I grew up South of KC in Raymore, and really don't want to live that far from the job. I also feel weird going back down there where I went to school- Raymore, Peculiar, Belton area, so really don't want to live there. Their father lives in Belton right now, so I want to be fairly close(ish) to him so it's not too far for him and his mother to drive to get the kids after school etc. (I looked at Parkville where my sister lives, but it's too far for their father, and me to drive to work I think).

I used to hang out with kids from Lenexa who went to St Thomas Aquinas in high school, and I just remember the area being very busy and expensive lol. And it was the place we always went to shop.

I am looking at apartments for now, but want to find an area that I can eventually find a house and neighborhood further down the road but stay in the same school district. I don't have a whole lot of money, being a single mom, the job I'm looking at will pay more than what I make down here in Springfield (it's MUCH cheaper to live here). But it's still not a ton to where I can easily afford 1200-1300/mo for rent. I can probably budget for that but it would be nice to have some extra money.

I don't want to not be able to afford to live in the area, but I feel like living closer to work would be better. My older daughter is a competitive gymnast and we're looking at Elite gymnastics as well. She goes every day after school for 4+ hours, so being close to the gym is essential.

I guess I want to know the best area that's not too expensive, good schools, nice neighborhoods. I've been looking at apartments in Lenexa, Overland Park and Shawnee Mission Park area. The rent for them seems super high (but I understand it's more expensive). An apartment in those areas that is 1200-1300/,mo would be about 800-900/mo in Springfield. Also looking for an area on the more liberal side but it's not a big deal- I'm used to conservative areas down here. Also I don't want to my kids to be looked down on for being "poor" or living in an apartment or whatever. I know it won't be forever, but I know how even in Raymore some were looked down on for not having money. Just didn't know if there were areas around that were better or worse. I know most places probably have some kind of prejudice, though. I know nowhere is immune to that.

I know I just need to go and drive around and see what areas I like. But any advice to narrow down my search would help as well.

Thanks, sorry for the novel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:30 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Hi - I'm not sure what others will recommend, but I would do a b-line for Shawnee Mission Schools, specifically the Indian Hills Middle School/Shawnee Mission East High School attendance area. See the boundary map here:
http://repository.smsd.org/docs/publ...ap-2015-16.pdf

It's pretty pricey as far as metro KC goes, but I might guess you'd be able to find a 3 bedroom apartment for $1200 (?). Prairie Village is a nice area with a fairly progressive vibe. Others will inevitably chime in with other opinions.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:54 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
I'd look north of I-435. Apartments there are generally a little older and less expensive than they are further south. You might even be able to rent a smaller house or duplex.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
You might be able to rent a house in the Shawnee Mission North area in , on either side of Johnson Drive between Metcalf and Antioch, for a decent price (or even Roeland Park or Mission, for that matter). That wouldn't be too far to work for you. It would be a little more of a drive for their dad.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:10 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Hi - I'm not sure what others will recommend, but I would do a b-line for Shawnee Mission Schools, specifically the Indian Hills Middle School/Shawnee Mission East High School attendance area. See the boundary map here:
http://repository.smsd.org/docs/publ...ap-2015-16.pdf

It's pretty pricey as far as metro KC goes, but I might guess you'd be able to find a 3 bedroom apartment for $1200 (?). Prairie Village is a nice area with a fairly progressive vibe. Others will inevitably chime in with other opinions.
I would actually suggest the opposite and to avoid SM East attendance area, since the OP is worried about her children being "looked down on" for being less affluent. Why would you throw your kids into a situation where they're going to school with a bunch of millionaire's kids? The whole school is not uber rich, but a big chunk of it is.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I would actually suggest the opposite and to avoid SM East attendance area, since the OP is worried about her children being "looked down on" for being less affluent. Why would you throw your kids into a situation where they're going to school with a bunch of millionaire's kids? The whole school is not uber rich, but a big chunk of it is.
I was going to say the same thing, which is why I suggested the SM North area. I have friends who live in that area with "kids" (now adults) the same age as my kids. My kids went to SM East and when they were buying $200 prom dresses like everyone else at SM East, my friends' daughters were spending $30 to $50 on dresses.

And some of those kids at Shawnee Mission East have nicer cars than I will ever have! Which is fine, but definitely something to know before you move here.

Plus there are only a few apartment complexes in Prairie Village and they are old, nothing built in the last 30 years at least, and expensive.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:57 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
OP,

There are a variety of apartments of varying cost\quality all along 87th street.

That would put you both close to work and to Elite which is a short drive down pflumm.
You would also be close to Emerald City gym if you went that route.

There is a lot more traffic than normal around there right now because 95th street over I-35 is under construction finishing soon.

Schools around there are all really good, don't sweat that too much.

If you start looking for your own place one good area to check out is the area northwest of pflumm and 83rd, the name escapes me at the moment but there are lots of condos in there.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:27 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Why would you throw your kids into a situation where they're going to school with a bunch of millionaire's kids?
Because then they can get the same education as the millionaires kids, get married to a millionaires kid, go to an ivy league school and help pay for your retirement .

Middle and lower income public school districts in Kansas (and many other places) are not doing too well these days, with all the budget cuts and stagnating wages.

But I guess you guys are probably right. I'd just make sure if I were the OP to visit a few schools and see for yourself before I signed any one-year+ long rental contract.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:06 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Middle and lower income public school districts in Kansas (and many other places) are not doing too well these days, with all the budget cuts and stagnating wages.
That's why I'm surprised that people are recommending SM North. East is essentially the only SM school left with the affluent demographics and a great school rating. I know parents and teachers in the East schools who feel that anything nice the other high schools and their feeders receive is all being subsidised by the property taxes the district collects in Mission Hills and Prarie Village :/.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
That's why I'm surprised that people are recommending SM North. East is essentially the only SM school left with the affluent demographics and a great school rating. I know parents and teachers in the East schools who feel that anything nice the other high schools and their feeders receive is all being subsidised by the property taxes the district collects in Mission Hills and Prarie Village :/.
I normally do recommend Shawnee Mission East, but based on the OP's preferences and price point, I recommended Shawnee Mission North as an alternative.

If not for the OP's preferences and price point, I would have recommended south Overland Park/Leawood, actually, since the kids' dad lives in Belton and that would be more in between. But there were other things to take into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City