Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 11:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times

Advertisements

So I am from Pennsylvania but I have been to St. Louis and I have college friends from KS, MO.

I always identified Kansas City with Missouri. And legit would tell people all the time Kansas City is not in Kansas but in Missouri.

What is the regional identity? I am super curious. It seems like to me Kansas tries to take Kansas City as its own, even though the city limits are not in Kansas.

Curious on your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 06:18 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
There are two municipalities named Kansas City. The larger is in Missouri, but there is also a Kansas City, KS. The airport and the Chiefs and Royals are in KCMO, but a vast swath of the suburbs are in Kansas.

I am sure more of the regulars here will chime in to further explain how misguided your post is. In the meantime, look at Google Maps.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:45 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
So I am from Pennsylvania but I have been to St. Louis and I have college friends from KS, MO.

I always identified Kansas City with Missouri. And legit would tell people all the time Kansas City is not in Kansas but in Missouri.

What is the regional identity? I am super curious. It seems like to me Kansas tries to take Kansas City as its own, even though the city limits are not in Kansas.

Curious on your insight.
The Kansas City metro includes counties on both the Kansas and Missouri side of the state line. For instance, current stay at home orders for the Kansas City metro are for the "core four" which includes the city of Kansas City, Missouri and all of Jackson County on the Missouri side and Johnson County and Wyandotte County on the Kansas side. There are other counties outside these areas that are consider the KC metro, but most of the KC metro population is in these counties.

There is a Kansas City, Kansas (in Wyandotte County) as well as Kansas City, Missouri. The Kansas City Royals and Kansas City Chiefs play on the Missouri side. Sporting KC (MLS) plays on the Kansas side. The Nascar track is on the Kansas side. The airport is on the Missouri side. We are one metro.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:39 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The Kansas City metro includes counties on both the Kansas and Missouri side of the state line. For instance, current stay at home orders for the Kansas City metro are for the "core four" which includes the city of Kansas City, Missouri and all of Jackson County on the Missouri side and Johnson County and Wyandotte County on the Kansas side. There are other counties outside these areas that are consider the KC metro, but most of the KC metro population is in these counties.

There is a Kansas City, Kansas (in Wyandotte County) as well as Kansas City, Missouri. The Kansas City Royals and Kansas City Chiefs play on the Missouri side. Sporting KC (MLS) plays on the Kansas side. The Nascar track is on the Kansas side. The airport is on the Missouri side. We are one metro.

Yes it is just interesting to me. I was watching Bargain Mansions and that is filmed on the Kansas side of the KC metro and they most definitely identify with KC, MO in the shooting in terms of profiling the downtown/urban areas.

I live in Philadelphia and the majority of the metro is on the Pennsylvania side (3/4) with 1/4 on the NJ side and the identity of Philadelphia is definitely Pennsylvania and that is always what I thought of Kansas City to be a Missouri city since well the urban part of Kansas City is in Missouri not Kansas.

There is a river with limited cross points between PA and NJ and this is one large reason why most of Philadelphia metro is in Pennsylvania among other historical reasons (very similar to NYC in terms of Jersey dynamic). I guess looking at the KC map there is no natural border with the state lines so they flow easily. Is the majority of the metro on the MO side or KS side?

I will admit I always thought it was odd the urban portion of Kansas City was in MO not KS. But this fact is why I would always correct people to tell them. I study urban planning so I am interested in these unique interstate dynamics. Thank you.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:35 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Yes it is just interesting to me. I was watching Bargain Mansions and that is filmed on the Kansas side of the KC metro and they most definitely identify with KC, MO in the shooting in terms of profiling the downtown/urban areas.

I live in Philadelphia and the majority of the metro is on the Pennsylvania side (3/4) with 1/4 on the NJ side and the identity of Philadelphia is definitely Pennsylvania and that is always what I thought of Kansas City to be a Missouri city since well the urban part of Kansas City is in Missouri not Kansas.

There is a river with limited cross points between PA and NJ and this is one large reason why most of Philadelphia metro is in Pennsylvania among other historical reasons (very similar to NYC in terms of Jersey dynamic). I guess looking at the KC map there is no natural border with the state lines so they flow easily. Is the majority of the metro on the MO side or KS side?

I will admit I always thought it was odd the urban portion of Kansas City was in MO not KS. But this fact is why I would always correct people to tell them. I study urban planning so I am interested in these unique interstate dynamics. Thank you.
It's one big metro and generally people don't even care what state you are in as you go about your lives there. It's very similar to the DC area with MD and VA. You will see KS and MO plates in just about any part of the metro. In places like Downtown, the Plaza, major shopping malls and office parks in the suburbs of both states, worlds of fun, the zoo, the stadiums, the airport etc, all will have a near 50/50 KS vs MO plates regardless if you are in KS or MO. I don't notice near as many jersey plates on the PA side of Philly or IL plates on the MO side of St Loius. Metro KC is really the only major city were there is such a fluid movement back and forth between the states mainly because most of the metro is not divided by a natural barrier.

Politically things are a little different. The metro has major issues with being one metro when it comes to funding regional amenities, cultural attractions, transit etc and fighting over companies, but that's not something most people care about. There is a general MO vs KS rivalry and most people that live on one side or the other will say they prefer their side for various reasons, but I think there is general respect by most people for each other.

Having said that, the urban core and just about everything that makes KC what it is on the MO side. The KS side is suburban and has a few attractions, but you can easily visit KC for a week and never set foot in Kansas and you honestly wouldn't miss anything. Kanans hate it when I say that, but it's true. It's just the same suburban sprawl you will find in a hundred other cities. So the metro area is based in Missouri. And while most people on the Kansas side don't mind people saying the city is in Kansas, most people on the MO take offense. KCMO is what gives Kansas an image at all and so they take it. But if you are from the MO side, it's annoying to see Kansas take credit for your city from a national perspective. I personally don't care if you say Missouri or not, but do not just say Kansas. Just say KC or Kansas City. Not sure why that's so hard.

And as you probably know since you are into urban planning the city was established and quite large before Kansas was even a state. Kansas is just a name. The city and the state were named after the Kansa Indian and the Kansas River.

Having lived on the East coast now for over ten years. I have all but given up on this topic. It's just never going to change. KC could win 20 super bowls and 20 World Series and host final fours, political conventions etc and almost nobody out side of KC will know or even care that the city is not based in Kansas. Even the president does not know where the 28th largest metro is located. KC will always have the reputation of being a much smaller, less urban and more country place than it is except the few that have actually been there and even most of them still come back thinking they were in Kansas when they probably never left Missouri.

KC is a pretty interesting place though. I miss a lot about it.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:54 PM

A couple more thoughts from a local perspective:

Locals, the news etc will nearly always just say KC or Kansas City when they are either referring to the metro area or the city of Kansas City, MO. Very few people will follow Kansas City with Missouri unless talking about something specific like the school district or something. If a news story happens in Kansas City, MO, the news most often just says (A major fire happened in Kansas City last night, or a major fire happened in Kansas City, Kansas last night.

However, at the same time, almost nobody will say just "KC" or "Kansas City" when referring to KCK. If locals are talking about KCK, they will almost always say KCK, Kansas City Kansas, Wyandotte or nicknames like "the Dotte".

Another example. Kansas City issued 5000 buildings permits last year while and Kansas City Kansas issued 500.

Also, Johnson County is not Kansas City Kansas and they tend to not like being associated with KCK. Most people outside of KC tend to think of the entire KS side of KC as being KCK and the entire MO side being KCMO. That makes logical sense of course, but locally, it's just not the case. KCK is treated as its own very independent part of the city and the large Kansas suburbs, including KCK function more like suburbs of KCMO than a "twin city" type metro.

Other than the confusing names, the KC metro is just like any other mid sized metro with a single urban core surrounded by suburbs on all sides. It's not a metro with two urban cores, two downtown etc. KCK is more similar to Independence, MO (another large but older suburb) than a KS version of KCMO.

Hope that helps.

BTW. I love Philly!

Old 04-22-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Bargain Mansions is filmed on both sides of the state line, but more on the Missouri side. They do a lot of work in the Country Club Plaza area. Tamara Day lives on the Kansas side though. Not sure about her dad. My husband works with them sometimes.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Bargain Mansions is filmed on both sides of the state line, but more on the Missouri side. They do a lot of work in the Country Club Plaza area. Tamara Day lives on the Kansas side though. Not sure about her dad. My husband works with them sometimes.
He is just saying that the stock/filler video is typically shots of KCMO and that is always the case on any show like that when filmed in KC. They might be doing a hotel or restaurant makeover in Overland Park or Olathe but will show videos and aerials of stuff in KCMO. Same with any other metro those types of TV shows visit.

I watch a lot of these types of shows and Bargain Mansions is pretty good. I thought it was canceled though. Most of the homes were in the area north of Waldo and Brookside off Ward parkway (where Mahomes lives!) and a few in the same area on the Kansas side. I don't recall any in the plaza area, but I'm sure they did some.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
He is just saying that the stock/filler video is typically shots of KCMO and that is always the case on any show like that when filmed in KC. They might be doing a hotel or restaurant makeover in Overland Park or Olathe but will show videos and aerials of stuff in KCMO. Same with any other metro those types of TV shows visit.

I watch a lot of these types of shows and Bargain Mansions is pretty good. I thought it was canceled though. Most of the homes were in the area north of Waldo and Brookside off Ward parkway (where Mahomes lives!) and a few in the same area on the Kansas side. I don't recall any in the plaza area, but I'm sure they did some.
Okay, gotcha.

Yep, there have been several in the Plaza and just south of the Plaza. There was one filmed just recently but I don't know if it's aired yet. I only watch it when my husband wants me to see something in particular.

Mahomes is just southwest of the Plaza, closer to State Line than Ward Parkway though.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:58 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Metro KC is really the only major city were there is such a fluid movement back and forth between the states mainly because most of the metro is not divided by a natural barrier.
I agree that the KC metro has the most permeable state line, and the most evenly-divided populace, of any US metro area. But it's not the only one with fluid movement and development. I would say this is the case between the northern part of Chicagoland and Wisconsin, and the southeast part of that metro and Indiana. Also, between DC and Maryland (moreso than DC and Virginia, because of the river), and between the northern part of the NY metro, and New Jersey and Connecticut, and between the southern part of the Philly metro and Delaware. Also, Charlotte, Providence, Spokane and Toledo hug their state lines very closely, allowing for fluid movement. But now we're getting into more minor metros.

But again, you're right. the KC metro is the most evenly divided between two states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City