Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:38 PM

165 posts, read 143,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Surely you've been around long enough to know how this works, how it must look to someone who views things differently.
Literally every president gets accused of lying and rightfully so.
During every administration, there are tin-foil hat types that warn us of a pending autocracy if we don't vote for who the accusers think we should vote for.
Lately, it's been popular to think that presidents won't leave office or accept elections.

Yet, it never happens, and I'm not the slightest bit worried about what might happen if Trump loses.
He'll leave. Conservatives will grumble but life will go on.
I'm far more concerned about what might happen if he wins because people who think the government is the answer to all the worlds' problems tend to get a LOT more worked up about election results than hands-off libertarian types. It's those "progressives" who would be upset at a Trump win and the ones we should really be watching out for. They're pretty much off their collective rockers at this point.
Well, I have been around for a while so when I say that I've never seen anything like this (Trump lying), it's based on experience. I have a mind for fact and I find it insulting when someone tries to play you for a fool by lying about something you know is absolutely otherwise. It's hardly a matter of "how it must look to someone who views things differently". Opinion is one thing but fact is fact. There was a point in time where a politician getting caught in a lie was a matter of embarrassment and a guaranteed drop in the polls. Trump is absolutely shameless, he seems to not even care in the slightest because he knows his followers do not care. He even lies about what he has said in the past regardless of the existence of video and public record to prove him wrong.

Regarding autocracy, I cannot remember any candidate or incumbent who has ventured this close to autocracy; threatening his political rivals and the press as well as retaliating against anyone he can (generally members of his own administration that comes out against him: the DOJ's investigation of Bolton being the latest of may retaliatory actions), misuse of force within the US against the wishes of local authority, threats to further misuse force (getting the army involved to quell protests), total lack of accountability, and his own criminal action going unpunished. I've never seen a president tacitly endorse the use of right wing militias against the nations citizenry (and he's done it more than once and has threatened to use a citizens militia to monitor elections). That stuff is reminiscent of 1933 Germany. It's hardly tin foil hat paranoia. I agree that Trump will not stick around if he loses; I don't there would be much political future for republicans that would go that far in support and I doubt if the military would allow it either. But even the fact that he is on record more than once suggesting it is inappropriate.

Last edited by KC_Retiree; 09-17-2020 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-18-2020, 06:20 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
Well, I have been around for a while so when I say that I've never seen anything like this (Trump lying), it's based on experience. I have a mind for fact and I find it insulting when someone tries to play you for a fool by lying about something you know is absolutely otherwise. It's hardly a matter of "how it must look to someone who views things differently". Opinion is one thing but fact is fact. There was a point in time where a politician getting caught in a lie was a matter of embarrassment and a guaranteed drop in the polls. Trump is absolutely shameless, he seems to not even care in the slightest because he knows his followers do not care. He even lies about what he has said in the past regardless of the existence of video and public record to prove him wrong.

Regarding autocracy, I cannot remember any candidate or incumbent who has ventured this close to autocracy; threatening his political rivals and the press as well as retaliating against anyone he can (generally members of his own administration that comes out against him: the DOJ's investigation of Bolton being the latest of may retaliatory actions), misuse of force within the US against the wishes of local authority, threats to further misuse force (getting the army involved to quell protests), total lack of accountability, and his own criminal action going unpunished. I've never seen a president tacitly endorse the use of right wing militias against the nations citizenry (and he's done it more than once and has threatened to use a citizens militia to monitor elections). That stuff is reminiscent of 1933 Germany. It's hardly tin foil hat paranoia. I agree that Trump will not stick around if he loses; I don't there would be much political future for republicans that would go that far in support and I doubt if the military would allow it either. But even the fact that he is on record more than once suggesting it is inappropriate.
I appreciate your response. On the first paragraph, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Politicians have never been known for their forthrightness.
The only difference I see now is that we have a media that's either more likely to pick sides, or most certainly have no problems showing their bias. They're the shameless ones that have allowed a Trump-type personality to emerge and now they pretend to be outraged by the guy.
I say this all started in 1992, or at least that's when this mentality ramped up.
It would be nice to have a media that told the truth, the complete story. Supposedly that existed once upon a time but I do wonder if it really did, or did we just more collectively accept what we were being told...

As for autocracy, that would require a complete breakdown of the entire system. One person in one branch of government isn't remotely enough to pull that off.
Trump's a bombastic blowhard who pushes people to the brink to see if they'll budge. That's just his style. It's crass and not what I would do, but it's low on the list of things that concern me about our current society.
Not endorsing it, but heavy-handed tactics from a president is not a new phenomenon.
As for citizen militias monitoring elections, armed Black Panthers have actually done that, supposedly to "rally against voter suppression".
Trump is merely a reflection of our crude, in-your-face culture largely promoted by an entertainment industry that allegedly hates the very situation they themselves helped to create.
I'm far more disturbed by society than I am by Trump.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:37 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Without all of the third class, fourth class and last mile delivery, there is not as much need for the USPS, today. Anecdotally, we went 100% electronic delivery for...everything about 6 years ago. Any, 99.98999%, mail that arrives goes straight to the trash. Let's not pretend the has been USPS feeble for many years, burdened with 20th C costs, such as union contract enforced retirement healthcare; just hanging on.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:59 PM

639 posts, read 766,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And they were for years before the windows were smashed and city blocks burned to the ground.

After the election, Trump will expand federal influence in these disaster zones and save millions who don't deserve his help from themselves.
You speak the truth Crownvic! People in these cites being ran into the ground voting for those doing it to them, deserve what they get, they will expect Americans to bail their asses out. Never back down Crownvic! You are wise and know what's going on.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
"City on a Hill", indeed.

We have become a laughingstock. People around the world have lost confidence in the US as a world leader. Do we need to talk about where the US ranks in virtually every quality of life index?

Yeah, yeah. I get it. Pew Research is a tool of the deep state, cannibalistic satanists, etc.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:58 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
^honestly, who cares?

Old 09-18-2020, 09:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
I think god gives mr trump a dollar every time a lie is told about him

Old 09-18-2020, 09:34 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
"City on a Hill", indeed.

We have become a laughingstock. People around the world have lost confidence in the US as a world leader. Do we need to talk about where the US ranks in virtually every quality of life index?

Yeah, yeah. I get it. Pew Research is a tool of the deep state, cannibalistic satanists, etc.
Lol, Most Trump supporters seem to be extremely ignorant of the rest of the world. Many people even think this whole virus thing is about USA politics to get Trump out of office. Yeah, that's why the entire world has taken this more seriously than the USA has, because of the USA election. The USA has become irrelevant in the world in the last several years. It was already heading that way because Americans are so arrogant and ignorant but Trump dramatically accelerated it. You think they care what the rest of the world thinks?

Old 09-19-2020, 03:41 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Lol, Most Trump supporters seem to be extremely ignorant of the rest of the world. Many people even think this whole virus thing is about USA politics to get Trump out of office. Yeah, that's why the entire world has taken this more seriously than the USA has, because of the USA election. The USA has become irrelevant in the world in the last several years. It was already heading that way because Americans are so arrogant and ignorant but Trump dramatically accelerated it. You think they care what the rest of the world thinks?
One thing's for sure.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXRZ5c6I-vo

Old 09-19-2020, 08:24 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
^honestly, who cares?
International Relations, collaboration, solving global challenges- things that were all important back in the 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City