Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2007, 04:12 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to the KC metro area late this summer. Currently our favorite towns are St. Joseph and Plattsburg. We figure, if we find jobs in the KC area, we will buy a home in the Plattsburg area and commute. If we find jobs in St. Joseph, we'll buy there. But in the meantime, we'll need to find a place to rent an apartment for the short term (probably 6-12 months, but who knows, depends on luck). Ideally we would like to rent in a town that is a halfway point between St. Jo and KC while we job hunt and then house shop, but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Any advice? Any towns off of I-29 in this area that have apartments? Would Plattsburg be commutable to St. Jo as well as KC? If not, all I can think to do is find rentals in the northern KC metro area.
Any advice appreciated, thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 07:12 AM

9 posts, read 34,749 times
Christina, I think Plattsburg would be commutable to St. Joe. St. Joe is approx 45 minutes north of Kansas City, so anywhere between KC and St. Joe I would concider commutable. Alot of people drive from St. Joe. down into the city to work everyday. And alot of people also drive from North of St. Joe to get here also. Just depends on how far you are willing to commute. Plattsburg, Platte City are about the only things that I can think of right now between here and there where there would be apartments. Hope this helps some and welcome to the KC area in advance

Old 01-15-2007, 11:47 AM

132 posts, read 576,561 times
Default apartments north of Kc

hi,
What is your budget range rentwise? I am just north of downtown KC and am pretty happy with the apartment that my NKC search agent found for me (it wasn't even listed in the grocery store type apartment guides at the time, so it was a bit of a find). I would give her name or the website in this post, but I don't know if this forum would see that as advertising/spam.
Downtown KC and the Northland seem to be growing fast, so I am sure more complexes in the area you are looking to rent are going up as I write this. I know Platte City has some apartments. I hope you find somewhere that you enjoy!

Old 01-15-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the tips. Lynda, do you know how long it would take to commute from St. Joseph to KC, during normal rush hour? It didn't seem too long when we drove it, when we visited, but we didn't get a chance to drive it during rush hour, and we stopped a few times, so it is hard for us to judge.

We're looking for as cheap as possible - after renting in New Jersey, KC area apartments seem very affordable, but as we will be moving without jobs, the cheaper, the better. I don't think we are too picky:
*must be clean - no mold, no bugs, no critters
*off-street parking is preferred
*we would prefer a 1 bedroom apartment, but a studio would be acceptable
*must allow animals, as we have 1 cat. I've had her for 14 years...not about to give her up now.
*would prefer easy access to area highways
*need a place that will allow us to do short-term leases; 3 month leases would be ideal, 6 month leases acceptable.

I will check Platte City and Plattsburg, I did find a couple of listings for Platte City but none for Plattsburg so far. If anyone has names of complexes, etc. that rent in this area, let me know. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 PM

Default airport noise

It occurred to me, looking at the maps, that some of the north KC and platte apartments in your search area will probably be in the path of air traffic from KCI. You probably already have that in mind in your search, just thought I might mention it. We are close to the smaller Downtown KC airport here, but there is very rarely jet noise (other than a very noisy airshow last labor day that was so loud that the nearby courthouse had to keep shutting down proceedings, according to someone I know who was on jury duty at the time).

What do you think about renting in Leavenworth KS? It looks like it is close to that St Joseph-KC route and probably inexpensive. I don't know much about it other than the prison and military presence there, though. There is also Liberty MO, which has inexpensive rents and is probably somewhat nicer, but maybe that is a bit too far east for you. It was my second choice if I hadn't landed this place close to work as it would have added just 10 min to my commute.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:49 PM

Wow, thanks for all these tips! Very, very helpful. We actually live across the street from a small, private airport right now; generally it is quiet except for Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Doesn't bother us at all...but KCI probably gets a lot more traffic, from much larger planes. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:35 AM

Default another apartment link for nkc /leavenworth

http://www.mynewplace.com/apartments-KS-Leavenworth

you would need to investigate in person and see what you think of the places, but they do look affordable. a bit longer drive to jobs in either St Joseph or KC, but an option I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City