Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 02:09 PM

85 posts, read 143,301 times

Advertisements

This year my mom is coming to town for Christmas. This is the first time - I usually travel to her home. She wants to go to a Christmas Eve church service - but she doesn't want to go to just any church - she has her own set of criteria! I do want her to enjoy her visit, so I'm trying to oblige!

1. She grew up southern Baptist, but growing up we went to the United Methodist church - either one of these denominations would be good (Presbyterian would probably be ok too).

2. She's very traditional (traditional music is a must), and would not feel comfortable in a modern or charismatic setting. She also likes a very formal setting.

3. She would also prefer a larger church.

Can anyone give me any suggestions for churches that might fit these criteria? I live up north, but I would also welcome any suggestions from the KS side too!

Last edited by catzkc; 12-12-2008 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 02:28 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catzkc View Post
This year my mom is coming to town for Christmas. This is the first time - I usually travel to her home. She wants to go to a Christmas Eve church service - but she doesn't want to go to just any church - she has her own set of criteria! I do want her to enjoy her visit, so I'm trying to oblige!

1. She grew up southern Baptist, but growing up we went to the United Methodist church - either one of these denominations would be good (Presbyterian would probably be ok too).

2. She's very traditional (traditional music is a must), and would not feel comfortable in a modern or charismatic setting.

3. She would also prefer a larger church.

Can anyone give me any suggestions for churches that might fit these criteria? I live up north, but I would also welcome any suggestions from the KS side too!
On the KS side, you might try Westside Family Church

Westside Family Church :: Event Calendar (http://www.westsidefamilychurch.com/events.html - broken link)

Old 12-12-2008, 03:00 PM

85 posts, read 143,301 times
I really appreciate your quick reply, Samantha - thank you!

Growing up it was kind of a tradition for our family to go to the candlelight service our church had on Christmas Eve. I guess maybe I'm looking for something kind of like that.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:30 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catzkc View Post
I really appreciate your quick reply, Samantha - thank you!

Growing up it was kind of a tradition for our family to go to the candlelight service our church had on Christmas Eve. I guess maybe I'm looking for something kind of like that.
Lots of churches in the area do that.

And most big churches have websites these days. If I were you, I'd start with looking on the websites of some of the larger churches that are close to you. No sense driving 45 minutes if there is one right up the road.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:07 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
Here are two mega churches

Pleasant Valley : (http://www.pleasantvalley.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi - broken link) Liberty

3pm, 4:30pm and 6:00pm Christmas eve services

First Baptist Raytown Raytown

5:00 PM Christmas eve services

Both of these churches are very large and offer other shows based around Christmas as well.

But if you want something smaller, you can try

http://www.rockwoodbaptist.org/templ...lt.asp?id=9506

We go here every year. It's a smaller church that does the candlelight service. We don't belong here, but have relatives that do and it's tradition for us to go there every year and my kids really enjoy the candlelight service.

It's in Independence.

But I'm sure there are dozens of churches like that up north.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-12-2008 at 05:11 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Country Club Christian - and their website says visitors are welcome; join us for Christmas Eve. Candlelight service at 8 and 11 p.m. apparently Welcome Visitors

http://www.cccckc.org/images/stories...s2008radio.mp3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City