Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about Cincinnati so I'm no help there. But there is the Art Institute of Colorado too, and they have culinary. Have you considered Colorado?

EDIT - Oh, sorry. I see you were looking for the closest ones. I would visit both places and see how it feels being there, take a tour of the campuses and surrounding areas and see what you like and don't like. Sometimes a place just feels like "home." The minute I got to Manhattan, Kansas, I knew this was not the place for me. I have no explanation; I just didn't like it. Lawrence, on the other hand, immediately seemed a perfect fit for me.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-21-2009 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:34 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have been to Cincinnati many times and I just get a positive vibe from some of the areas closer to there Downtown. Many of the historic houses are well maintained, but of course very neighborhood dependent. skrazzle is right in the fact that KC has an older and more well established Art Institute.
The Kansas City Art Institute has NO affiliation with the Art Institute of Kansas City. The latter is a for-profit educational facility.

Personally, I would strongly recommend that the OP look at some of the many non-profit or community college culinary programs that are generally very similar to the far more expensive private options. To give you a comparison, the tuition and fees at the AIKC is $52,000 for a seven quarter program. On the other hand, the Midwest Culinary Instutute at Cincinnati State is $4800. Admission to Cincinnati State gives you access to all the facilities at the University of Cincinnati.

For the record, i worked in the restaurant and food service industry for 12 years. I am very familiar with the Art Institute of Chicago's culinary program. I really do not see any advantage to that program that would justify the significant difference in cost.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 03-21-2009 at 10:49 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,357,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by <(-^_^-)> View Post
Well, some of the things I look for in a city are safety, transportation, cleanliness, and affordability. Which is safer? Which has worse traffic? Which city is cleaner? Which city could I get more for my money? Thanks!
I used to travel to Cincinnati regularly when I worked for a magazine located there. I liked it a lot; it had a nice urban lively feel to it. I the traffic in KC is a breeze compared to everywhere I've been, including Cincinnati, and I think KC is cleaner. I can't give an opinion on crime stats. And I know Kansas gets a rap for having weird weather, but Cincinnati can really get hammered with extreme weather. You wouldn't think it would get a lot of ice and snow, but there were years when I lived in Chicago and Cincy had worse winters than we had.

Maybe it just boils down to which food you like better: 5-way chili or BBQ and great steaks!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:13 PM

709 posts, read 1,493,563 times
I think people may be mistaken when discussing KCAI in reference to culinary arts- I'm pretty sure they don't have a culinary department.

One thing that you may want to consider is the fact the Kansas City has been receiving a good bit of national recognition as an emerging culinary center. Check out this article from the New York Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City