Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:28 PM

37 posts, read 73,357 times

Advertisements

I have found a house that seems to meet all of our needs. It is in the Center 58 school district and zoned for Indian Creek Elementary. The reviews on the school are good. The house is located near I-435 and State Line Rd. on the MO side. It is a few blocks from St. Joe Hospital.

I was hoping that one of you might know something about that area. Is it safe, friendly, close to shopping...
Thanks for any advice you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 09:58 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,908,852 times
Red Bridge is a great area. I know a few people that live there and I lived there for a while not too long ago. Schools are ok. It's a diverse district that has a mix of race and demographics. The Red Bridge area is more suburban while the district also reaches into more poor areas of the city. From the people I know that live there, they seem happy with the elementary schools. I don't know much about high since the people I know with older kids sent their kids to Rockurst High. But Center High is much more of an "urban" high school that will have those issues, but I'm a firm believer that if you are a good family and know how to raise kids and don't expect the school district to do it for you, then you will be fine. Just because some kids bring down the overall stats of the school, doesn’t mean your child can’t get an exceptional education. Center Schools are not full of perfect middle class kids, so that’s the difference, but it’s a much better district than the KCMO school district which is simply a horribly run district.

As far as the location. It’s awesome. 435 is right there so the entire metro is within easy reach. You are super close to all the shopping in the Kansas suburbs plus there is a major shopping area in Martin City just south of Red Bridge on the MO side. Yet you are also very close to urban KCMO such as Waldo, Brookside etc. Even getting to places like Lee’s Summit and the Northland are easy from that area.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 PM

Thanks Kcmo! That really helps! I just looked up the neighborhood. It's called Lea Manor. Fingers crossed this will work out and it'll be one less thing for me to stress over.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDBLues View Post
Thanks Kcmo! That really helps! I just looked up the neighborhood. It's called Lea Manor. Fingers crossed this will work out and it'll be one less thing for me to stress over.
OK, so you are north of 435, not south. Still a great area. I owned a home just outside of that area for five years and loved it. Actually the area I lived in wouldn't be as nice as that area. No problems with crime or anything, just most of the homes are smaller.

That really is a nice area. It gets more flaky east of Wornall, but you should be fine in that area.

You are very close to the price chopper and other stores at Watts Mill and the Ward Parkway Shopping Center. There are also tons of nice shopping areas just over in Leawood north and south of 435 along 95th, 103rd and 119th.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:21 PM

I just did a "happy dance!" It's sure is nice being able to have someone give me the "low down" on the area. Fingers crossed all will work out with the house then. Thank You!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Lea Manor is definitely a perfectly nice area. We currently rent not too far from there (for another couple of weeks, anyway) - actually, just east of Wornall in the Santa Fe Hills neighborhood, which hasn't seemed at all flaky to me, for what it's worth...just more working class, mostly 60s and 70s construction homes, but very well-kept. We shop at Watts Mill and Ward Parkway Center, go to St. Joe (which I love) for healthcare. All very convenient. It's a nice area of town in which to live. We moved here from the Plaza, actually, enticed by the prospect of renting while we home shopped, but getting to have a sizeable yard, which we didn't have before.

We are closing on a 1915 Arts and Crafts bungalow just off downtown Lee's Summit, but when we were house shopping, we looked elsewhere in Waldo, in Red Bridge, and other adjacent places, and...it's a nice area. I wouldn't hesitate to live there as a new person to the KC area - very pleasant and charming .

I share kcmo's opinion on Center School District. I work for a specialized private school that draws from many urban and suburban districts, and our students from Center appear to have received a perfectly decent education prior to coming to us.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:28 AM

Thanks TabulaRasa! Congrats on your new house. The one we are selling here is a 1898 Greek revival. You just can't beat the details and craftmanship in old houses.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Lea Manor is definitely a perfectly nice area. We currently rent not too far from there (for another couple of weeks, anyway) - actually, just east of Wornall in the Santa Fe Hills neighborhood, which hasn't seemed at all flaky to me, for what it's worth...just more working class, mostly 60s and 70s construction homes, but very well-kept.
Yea, I meant Holmes.

We lived in Southmoreland, Just south of Santa Fe Hills.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Quote:
Thanks TabulaRasa! Congrats on your new house. The one we are selling here is a 1898 Greek revival. You just can't beat the details and craftmanship in old houses.
Agreed. I grew up in a family-owned business that specialized in renovation and restoration of period homes, and that's where my interest has always been, in terms of home ownership, versus new construction.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,506,244 times
Quote:
I have found a house that seems to meet all of our needs. It is in the Center 58 school district and zoned for Indian Creek Elementary. The reviews on the school are good. The house is located near I-435 and State Line Rd. on the MO side. It is a few blocks from St. Joe Hospital.

I was hoping that one of you might know something about that area. Is it safe, friendly, close to shopping...
Thanks for any advice you might have!
At the risk of starting another border war, if schools are a priority for you, you might consider seeing if you can find a similar house (quite likely) on the other side of State Line Road.

This is not a criticism of the area you found. It's fine. But given the choice, I'd move a few blocks over to be in the Shawnee Mission school district in a heartbeat.

It's definitely worth your time to check out. The schools all have websites and the High Schools even have info on wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City