Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:17 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But there's not a scientific consensus. There are scientists who believe there is no global warming, but just normal fluctations/variations as has been happening for millions of years.
They are in the minority <5%. That would be a consensus per the IPCC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 02:51 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times
I have to agree that the so-called "consensus" on man-made global warming is flawed.
The earth has been warming and cooling forever, and now all of a sudden we're to blame. They say it's happening at a faster pace than before, but how do they really know that? It's an educated guess, but nobody can really know for certain if it's happening faster now than it did a thousand years ago.
I also found it funny when Al Gore went on some TV show once and declared that a 121 degree temperature that South Dakota got in recent years was the "hottest ever". Not the hottest on record, but "ever". Wow. The Native Americans must have kept meticulous records over the millennia.
With the technology that we have today, we can more closely than ever monitor the temperature of every square inch of the globe. How we dare to compare that to data from 100 years ago is beyond me.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:23 PM

437 posts, read 1,072,520 times
It's not ridiculous, it's traditional. Fall used to always be like this until the past decade or so. I'm not complaining - I like it.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I have to agree that the so-called "consensus" on man-made global warming is flawed.
The earth has been warming and cooling forever, and now all of a sudden we're to blame. They say it's happening at a faster pace than before, but how do they really know that? It's an educated guess, but nobody can really know for certain if it's happening faster now than it did a thousand years ago.
I also found it funny when Al Gore went on some TV show once and declared that a 121 degree temperature that South Dakota got in recent years was the "hottest ever". Not the hottest on record, but "ever". Wow. The Native Americans must have kept meticulous records over the millennia.
With the technology that we have today, we can more closely than ever monitor the temperature of every square inch of the globe. How we dare to compare that to data from 100 years ago is beyond me.
I can't stand ideologues like Al Gore. He is looking out for his own vested interests much of the time. What we do have are long term records like ice core samples. These ice core samples measure CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere from hundereds of thousands of years ago. The one major point of debate right now is the temperature vs CO2 relationship. Often, the CO2 concentrations increase first and is then correlated with a corresponding rise in temperature. You are correct that we don't have temperature records from the ancient past, but we do have the valuable core samples which show CO2 concentrations and other GHGs are now at their highest concentrations since a few hundred thousand years ago.
I agree that our limited scope of temperature records (generally less than 200) years is a major inhibitor when looking at a simplistic "correlation equals causation" agrument that humans alone have contributed to all warming that has been observed.
The main argument for reducing CO2 emissions and our carbon footprint is that people desire a cleaner natural environment. I favor market based and innovation based approaches to tackling the 21st century renewable energy issues. I think innovation, technological advancement, and investments in higher level education are going to be the drivers for a low carbon cleaner energy future for the US and around the world.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:44 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Yup!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yup!
My prior post is dead on accurate in case you didn't read it.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,452,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am going totally nuclear over it!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
I read it. I just don't agree, so I declined to comment because I have neither the time nor the inclination to get into an argument about it.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,499,149 times
Quote:
I don't care for ideologues either. I generally agree with scientific consensus, though.

But the basis of the scientifoc consensus is invalid. These analyses do not take into consderation periods of 250, 500, 750 etc. years ago. The sample size of the test period to validate consistent, veritable global warming is not substantial enough.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:24 PM

543 posts, read 2,311,294 times
Got the winter coat out this morning. We left the in laws house in Salina KS earlier this evening, and driving home we heard on their radio station that there is a chance of freezing drizzle out that way overnight. The closer we got to KC the warmer the temp got. We left there our thermometer in the truck was reading 39. Hit the KC area and it was 44. The dog won't even stay out very long. Tried telling him this was only the beginning of the cold and to get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City